Starcraft 21' Mariner That's no longer for sale

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Starcraft 21' Mariner That's no longer for sale

I just noticed in the vid that you are towing the skier using the cleats. As stated there are a lot of forces at work there. I'm guessing the reason you were looking at and using the cleats is because the current eyes are so low. They are in the what is probably the strongest area of the transom. The wings are the weakest part of the transom and very often are not one piece with the lower transom, but kind of added on. If you look through the threads where the original transom is pulled out, often it is in three parts. Most make a one piecer to go back in. I would look at a ski pole myself. My $0.02.

Gun Dog

Petty Officer 1st Class

A ski pole or tower is the correct method for pulling skiers. However they're not recommended for inflatables.

64osby

Admiral

I just noticed in the vid that you are towing the skier using the cleats. As stated there are a lot of forces at work there. .

Yes I was using the cleats, and I used them for 6 years on my old FG boat. They are still tight as a drum. But I know the alum is much thinner than the FG. Thats why I was looking at the very thick backer.

What if I formed a triangle or angled support that traveled down the transom and attached into it from the inside. Still looking for a solution - besides a ski pole.

Huron Angler

Admiral

What if I formed a triangle or angled support that traveled down the transom and attached into it from the inside. Still looking for a solution - besides a ski pole.

I think that would be enough reinforcement to work long-term. I know the cleats will work but not for long with adults skiing.

A wide surface area backer will keep the aluminum from bending.

Any opinions on detachable ski pylons?

64osby

Admiral

I had my own Stupid Human Trick a couple weeks back with my boat and I backed it into a tree out in my yard. It was pitch black and I'm still getting used to the longer boat. Hit right on the corner cap just enough to crack the thing.

I was lucky enough to find a good set at the junk yard.

Sunday I took a little time to dress the one I need up, took a little over an hour, using a file, 180 on a palm sander and some fine steel wool.

The other one is off to another needful Stamada member.

Here's what it looked like when it was cleaned up. Not perfect but it will work.
Texas-20110911-00087.jpgTexas-20110911-00088.jpg

Should I spray this with some clear coat or something?

Hope I can put it on with out breaking it.:rolleyes:

jasoutside

Supreme Mariner

Well that looks a whole lot better!

Shark Hide is great but would be very expensive for just those caps. Have ya got other stuff that needs attention?

CheapboatKev

Vice Admiral

Look at a cleaner/dealer called Sheila Shine.
Leaves a barrier after it cleans the aluminum

64osby

Admiral

This is really the only piece, spring time will allow me to break out the elbow grease and clean up the boat, no indoor storage, tarps and a canopy.

Shark Hide and Shiela Shine - They sound like Aussie Products. Get me a Fosters and I'll go brighten the boat

64osby

Admiral

Need some advise on how to fix this CC glass trim. Sorry for the crappy pics, low light blackberry.

CC trim a.jpgCC trim b.jpg

Corner trim is cracked on the upper left. Do I drill out all the rivets, pull the whole trim off and have it welded.

Are there any tricks to not damage the p-glass?

Or is there some other fix that could work. Thanks.

64osby

Admiral

We had a fantastic day here in Michigan, 82 degrees and not a cloud in the sky. Had an opportunity to take my son and one of his friends out on the boat. Water was pretty chilly 64, so no swimming or tubing. But we did have a great day and also was able to take some hole shot videos.

Full tank of gas, 2 kids and me, 44 on the garmin and 42 on the game fisher, 4800 rpm with a 13 1/4x17 prop.

The kids had a blast and I was right there with them.:D

Pugetsound

Lieutenant Commander

Looks real quick you will enjoy the ride very nice boat.

barato2

Commander

82? nice. it wasn't that warm down here, just north of Mexico.

i just saw your windshield-frame Q......if it were mine, i'd carefully mask plexi with blue tape and work some JB weld into the corner gap after solvent cleaning it. carb spray on paper towel works great to clean up excess JB but will haze plexi.

64osby

Admiral

82? nice. it wasn't that warm down here, just north of Mexico.

i just saw your windshield-frame Q......if it were mine, i'd carefully mask plexi with blue tape and work some JB weld into the corner gap after solvent cleaning it. carb spray on paper towel works great to clean up excess JB but will haze plexi.

Yea the weather was great, but the water was 64, kids did some swimming, but not me. Can you say Blue B*!!s.:eek:

Thanks for the JB tip, I might give it a try. I really don't want to take it all off to repair it. I've seen what old plexi can do first hand. If the JB doesn't work I was thinking about a corner strap of some kind, cover it and rivet.

64osby

Admiral

Pulled the boat out today and did some spring cleaning.

Lots of scrubbing and there's one less mouse nest.

Sat in it looking at making some changes in wiring and some other features.

And - out with the old
MarinerOldCaptainsChair-1.jpg
[/IMG]

And in with the new
MarinerFlipBackCaptChair-1.jpg
[/IMG]

I had picked this up with a console and a seat for $70, sold the console and seat for $40, new wood, vinyl, used some old couch cushions for the foam, and some pretty handy sewing, if I do say so.

Now my wife will be telling me to replace all the old vinyl.

Very happy and a great storage place for the grill.

JD in Milwaukee

Petty Officer 1st Class

Dude, where is that seat??? I'll take that chair! Lovin the arm rests. It's sold already....... Damn, I'm getting slower every day.

64osby

Admiral

JD - You're not slow, the seat was just pulled yesterday.

Thanks Jason.

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

That is a nice one, 64. I'm so jealous of all you tailors out there. : Is the seat wide enough for two? And even a 21 footer needs more storage.

dave 524

Seaman

And in with the new
MarinerFlipBackCaptChair-1.jpg
[/IMG]

I had picked this up with a console and a seat for $70, sold the console and seat for $40, new wood, vinyl, used some old couch cushions for the foam, and some pretty handy sewing, if I do say so.

Now my wife will be telling me to replace all the old vinyl.

Very happy and a great storage place for the grill.

That setup is identical to my old 82 center console 18 Sylvan Rodmaster, my welded aluminum box/bench came plumbed as a live well. Same vinyl covered plywood console, man you even got the same shifter mounted in the same place, just remember reverse is forward:eek: