Aluminum primer

Mister Dave

Cadet
I'm sure there are tons of posts on this already, but what is the best inexpensive primer for aluminum for application right after a sand blast?

halas

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Aluminum primer

Sherwin Williams has a wash primer for aluminum. It is a thin coating greenish in color, water cleanup. I have 1/2 gallon in my shop and I can post picture of the can for the name if I dont forget, tomorrow. It is under 50 bucks/Gal.

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member

First you should read the restoration section. We do not advise sandblasting any aluminum hull. You are going to create problems.

If you have paint on the hull and want to repaint there may not be a need to strip the paint. There are cheaper and better ways to treat the hull.

halas

Petty Officer 1st Class

Bob is right. Don't remove solid paint it is waste of time and effort.
If you have some kind of heavy paint built-up or some kind of peeling problem use paint stripper and pressure washer.
Also stay away from sanding as heavy paper can quickly remove soft aluminum.

Mister Dave

Cadet

This boat has about 5 layers of peeling paint. I have stripped about 90 percent of it so far with stripper. It has taken about 4-6 applications of stripper using a wire brush to strip it. If I can't blast it, how do I prep it for primer?

Bob_VT

Staff member

Use sandpaper, then you want to wipe the boat down with vinegar and water..... then only need to prime the bare aluminum spots with a zinc chromate primer (rattle can paint) then if you want a good paint that is fairly cheap in cost use Rustoleum.

Is your boat welded or riveted?

There are alot of factors...... is the boat going to stay in water? or be removed and trailered?

Look at what some people have accomplished here with the aluminum hulls.

Mister Dave

Cadet

It has rivets and it will be trailered to and from the lake maybe used 10-20 times per year. Also, the winters where I am at get into subzero temperatures. Summers get into 90-100's

I have a similar project in progress. If one uses stripper, and it gets into the riveted joints, can't it damage the rubber caulking?

Bob_VT

Staff member

The boat builders used a sticky mastic in the joints..... not rubber. It will be okay. Oven cleaner has been used by many as a paint stripper.

Mister Dave

Cadet

then only need to prime the bare aluminum spots with a zinc chromate primer (rattle can paint)

Does this mean that any rattle can primer is zinc chromate primer or do I have to look for it?

Also, the aluminum on the transom where the wood was touching has some corrosion. Only one spot has gone all the way through. What should I do for that?

wca_tim

Lieutenant Commander

on the primer, I would degrease thw whole thing with something like xylenes first and then prime it. (do the vinegar and water first...) Look for primer that is labeled zinc chromate and or self etching... it's nearly all some color of green / olive green in the rattle cans...

film495

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I just light sand the old paint and then use outdoor epoxy reinforced porch and patio paint, never peels or comes off.

As always, thanks, Bob. I found that acetone works well, too, on whatever gray paint Sears or a previous owner put in the boat. Wipes right off!

halas

Petty Officer 1st Class

Here is the primer I recommend.

Attachments

• starcraftprep 010.JPG
    starcraftprep 010.JPG
    32.9 KB · Views: 0