Star Craft Acrylic windshield replacement

matt167

Captain
Does anyone think that this windshield can be bent out of lexan or other polycarbonate or acrylic panel? It's been cracked in 1/2 since I've owned it. The previous owners put some cheap clear caulk on it but I put some clear-er Lexel caulk sealant on it. Kind of masks it

UDP shows a windshield that I think is correct ( For SC Arrow, the Holiday 14's 'glass cousin ) but at near $500, I wouldn't buy it so I'd have to ship mine out and wait.

What makes me wonder is the full frame and the SC's do not have much, or really any 'bubble' to them.

Attachments

• holidaybrandnew.jpg
    holidaybrandnew.jpg
    470.3 KB · Views: 7

harringtondav

Commander
I think you may be able to replace with Lexan/polycarb. My pal has a large BlueWater Coastal Cruiser. His beam much wider than yours, but his windshield was a two piece assembly.
I took of a section and traced it on a large piece of paper. ...computer drafting plotter paper works, but you can tape together smaller sheets. You will need to hold one end flat, trace, tape the paper onto the windshield, roll the windshield a bit, trace, tape and so on. You'll do best with a helper. You can trace the whole thing, or if you can measure accurately, trace half and mirror the pattern.
I bought the plastic sheet at Regal Plastics. I think 4'x8' was std. in a variety of tints. ...don't know if your pattern will fit inside this, even diagonally.
His windshield was screw attached which helped. We started at the center, drilled, wrapped, screwed, and continued to the edges. Polycarb is tough stuff and can handle fairly small bend radii. ...go with as thin a thickness as possible.

matt167

Captain
The windshield is about 60" wide,. Little more but I don't have the exact measurement, so it should fit on a 4x8 sheet of material.. I was thinking about taking the original out of the frame, and then using Coreplast to wrap around it from the outside to make a pattern and then trim it until it fit inside the frame. And then cut that pattern out of the actual acrylic.

It would be cool to get it in 60's green tint.

harringtondav

Commander
The windshield is about 60" wide,. Little more but I don't have the exact measurement, so it should fit on a 4x8 sheet of material.. I was thinking about taking the original out of the frame, and then using Coreplast to wrap around it from the outside to make a pattern and then trim it until it fit inside the frame. And then cut that pattern out of the actual acrylic.

It would be cool to get it in 60's green tint.
FYI the link below describes the differences between Acrylic and Polycarbonate. We chose the polycarb due to its higher strength and ability for be cold formed. Acrylic has a harder surface and resists scratches and hazing better. Washing a polycarb windshield with soap and water will help prevent this. I used a hand jig saw to cut the windshield. It had exposed edges so it took a lot of difficult sanding to give a nice appearance. It looks like you can avoid this step.

matt167

Captain
There is a supplier near here that carries both. I will get the polycarbonate... I said Acrylic not thinking, they are totally different

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
Find a plastic manufacturer near you that does heat forming to thermal form the window

sphelps

Supreme Mariner
UDP shows a windshield that I think is correct ( For SC Arrow, the Holiday 14's 'glass cousin ) but at near $500, I wouldn't buy it so I'd have to ship mine out and wait.
Yeah , I need a new one for my MFG . The one they list in stock for my year and length is about 4" smaller than what I have .. So it's shipping cost twice or take a road trip down state .. I'm interested how yours turns out if you do it yourself ..

matt167

Captain
Yeah , I need a new one for my MFG . The one they list in stock for my year and length is about 4" smaller than what I have .. So it's shipping cost twice or take a road trip down state .. I'm interested how yours turns out if you do it yourself ..
I found The Plastics Guy as well. He does not list prices though.

I'll keep this updated