Spare wheel hub... usefull?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wave34

Petty Officer 1st Class
I was thinking of buying a spare wheel hub in case one bearing fails far from home.

Is it something that happens often? I grease my bearings twice a year.

Are there many models in the same manufacturer for the same capacity?

My axles are Dexters 6 bolts, 5000 or 52000 lb each, with a 6'' drop.

I want to make sure I buy the good part.

Here are some pictures of the axles I have if you guys know what they are.
PS: the spring leafs have been fixed since then.

Attachments

• Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    154.6 KB · Views: 16
  • 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    56.5 KB · Views: 17

dwco5051

Commander
I would consider it nice to have but not an absolute necessity. For only a simple bearing failure having a hub already set up would make a change go a lot quicker as no need to drive races out of the existing hub. Not a break the bank item to carry on long hauls so it may be worth it just for peace of mind.

Lou C

Supreme Mariner
If you’ve got 4 wheel brakes you can just buy one more 12” drum and a set of bearings. Remember you have to figure out if you have 5200 or 6000 hub drums. The inner bearings are the same for the two but the 6000 hub has a larger outer bearing

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
On my last boat trailer, I welded on an axle stub and mounted a spare hub/disc on it. Then my spare tire was mounted to it. Got a spare tire mount and a spare hub all in one.

racerone

Supreme Mariner
I know of a shop that does not replace / repack bearings anymore.-----Has new hubs in stock.-----Quick and easy and a money maker.----Cost of labor makes this the best way to go for the folks who wear a " suit and tie " he says.

Wave34

Petty Officer 1st Class
I would consider it nice to have but not an absolute necessity. For only a simple bearing failure having a hub already set up would make a change go a lot quicker as no need to drive races out of the existing hub. Not a break the bank item to carry on long hauls so it may be worth it just for peace of mind.

Yes, I'm planning a long haul and it it happens, it will be a parking lot repair, so I will check prices.

If you’ve got 4 wheel brakes you can just buy one more 12” drum and a set of bearings. Remember you have to figure out if you have 5200 or 6000 hub drums. The inner bearings are the same for the two but the 6000 hub has a larger outer bearing

Yes, 4 wheel brakes, but I would prefer to avoid to change bearings on the side of the road, that's why the hub looked like a good solution.
On my last boat trailer, I welded on an axle stub and mounted a spare hub/disc on it. Then my spare tire was mounted to it. Got a spare tire mount and a spare hub all in one.
That's a good idea. Right now my spare tire is in the truck's bed and it's not ideal. I will have to look at your suggestion.
Best guarantee to never having a hub failure is to buy a spare.Ive had mine for at least 20 years,lol.
That's so true!! I will buy one for sure LOL.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
Bought one for the shoreland'r under the searay and never needed it.

Didn have one for current trailer, lost a dust cap and toasted a hub.

Suggest following Bruce's lead

Lou C

Supreme Mariner
Yes, I'm planning a long haul and it it happens, it will be a parking lot repair, so I will check prices.

Yes, 4 wheel brakes, but I would prefer to avoid to change bearings on the side of the road, that's why the hub looked like a good solution.

That's a good idea. Right now my spare tire is in the truck's bed and it's not ideal. I will have to look at your suggestion.

That's so true!! I will buy one for sure LOL.
What you could do is pack the inner bearing put it in the hub/drum then install the seal. Then pack the outer bearing and put it in the hub/drum. Next tape plastic bags over the inner and outer openings of the hub to keep out dirt and keep the outer bearing from falling out. This way if you have a failure on one hub you have a new one already prepared ready to go on; and still have the use of 4 wheel brakes which is important for safety. Simply using a hub won’t address this concern. Setting up a hub or a brake drum is exactly the same process. With pre packed and installed bearings in the drum all you have to do is slide it on and set your bearing preload. And now all your brakes will still work!

Last edited:

matt167

Captain
A customer of mine used an axle stub welded to a plate, to mount his spare tire/ hub assembly

dingbat

Supreme Mariner
Not a fan of leaving bearIng assemblies exposed to the elements prior to installation.
Leave prepared bearing assembly in factory packaging until needed. Keep it along along with a 12” crescent, rubber mallet, pair of pliers, dust cap driver (2” PVC) and grease gun in a 5 gallon bucket with lid in the bed of the truck.

In the scheme of things, bearing are the least worrisome. Have had many more issues with brake systems over the years. Hung pads and drums being the most problematic.

Lou C

Supreme Mariner
Probably a good plan to go over your brake system & make sure your brakes release properly before leaving on a long tow, check the bearings for water intrusion, set your preload, if all that is looked over there isn't much that can go wrong, as long as you're not riding on tires that are too old, I change mine at 7 years as a matter of course, or when I start to see cracks between the treads whichever comes sooner. With the spindle lube system I greased mine once a year and NEVER had one problem with the bearings, I changed the seals a couple of times when I serviced the drum brakes and that was it. I used that axle for 17 years and never had to change the bearings. The first axle was a 3500 lb unit built for me by Champion Trailers in Slidell La., then I had my second one (this one a 6,000 unit) built just this summer by the same people, they build a better axle than you will get OE on most new trailers, great work! Even with the drum brakes, when maintained I have not had a lot of trouble with them. In fact the old axle was in such good shape I sold it on Craig's List for almost as much as I paid for it 17 years earlier!

Attachments

• 3500 lb 2x2 axle.jpg
    3500 lb 2x2 axle.jpg
    3.8 MB · Views: 11
  • Load Rite upgrade 6000 drop axle.jpg
    Load Rite upgrade 6000 drop axle.jpg
    5.3 MB · Views: 11
Last edited:

dingbat

Supreme Mariner
Probably a good plan to go over your brake system & make sure your brakes release properly before leaving on a long tow, check the bearings for water intrusion, set your preload, if all that is looked over there isn't much that can go wrong, as long as you're not riding on tires that are too old, I change mine at 7 years as a matter of course, or when I start to see cracks between the treads whichever comes sooner. With the spindle lube system I greased mine once a year and NEVER had one problem with the bearings, I changed the seals a couple of times when I serviced the drum brakes and that was it. I used that axle for 17 years and never had to change the bearings. The first axle was a 3500 lb unit built for me by Champion Trailers in Slidell La., then I had my second one (this one a 6,000 unit) built just this summer by the same people, they build a better axle than you will get OE on most new trailers, great work! Even with the drum brakes, when maintained I have not had a lot of trouble with them. In fact the old axle was in such good shape I sold it on Craig's List for almost as much as I paid for it 17 years earlier!
Looks like my trailer but in much better shape. Mine was ridden hard and put away wet.

Cant decide if I want to put money into the trailer or just buy a new aluminum one.

I will not need a trailer in 3-4 years if everything goes as planned.

Lou C

Supreme Mariner
My brother just bought a new Venture aluminum bunk trailer; he was lucky to find one in stock. Nice trailer!
Mines a ‘94 Load Rite that I’ve upgraded a few times over the years. My boat sits on a mooring during the season so the trailer doesn’t go in the salt water often; maybe 4 times a year.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
My trailer for my new to me boat has Vault hubs. We will see how they work out.

Wave34

Petty Officer 1st Class
Thanks guys.
The way I see it, it doesn't happen often, ... if you have a spare with you, but more often if you don't :-0

jhande

Chief Petty Officer
I was thinking of buying a spare wheel hub in case one bearing fails far from home.
One thing to keep in mind...
If a bearing explodes/goes bad and ruins a hub if not caught right away it can ruin the axle spindle.

Seen it happen quiet a bit in my auto experience.
Carry a file, emery cloth and brake clean to degrease the spindle.

Bob Sander

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Mmmmm
Just blew a bearing this past Summer. Didn't have a spare hub. I wish I did! Had no choice but to keep going. We dumped water on the bearing every 5 miles to keep it from going red hot and starting a fire, but it completely destroyed the entire hub and dug into the axle pretty good on the last 50 miles. It was a long day!

20210724_075536.jpg

Lou C

Supreme Mariner
Yep, if I did any long distance towing (I live 350 feet from the water) I'd get an extra brake drum, with pre-packed bearings, in plastic bags, spare hub seals, spare spindle nut, cotter pin, cap, tools to change etc. And my grease gun as well for the spindle lube hubs.
What I like about the spindle lube system is before a long trip you can totally exchange the grease, and see what comes out, if it looks concerning you can change your bearings and races right then, not by the side of the road or in a 7-11 parking lot at 11 pm by flashlight!

Attachments

• 6000 axle and drum brakes.jpg
    6000 axle and drum brakes.jpg
    4.8 MB · Views: 6

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
Mmmmm
Just blew a bearing this past Summer. Didn't have a spare hub. I wish I did! Had no choice but to keep going. We dumped water on the bearing every 5 miles to keep it from going red hot and starting a fire, but it completely destroyed the entire hub and dug into the axle pretty good on the last 50 miles. It was a long day!

View attachment 353700
So..out of curiosity, how often do you pull your hub to inspect bearings?

And I am not talking about just pushing grease thru with the LAZ-lube "feature"...actually taking off the hub.

Status
Not open for further replies.