Spare wheel hub... usefull?

Status
Not open for further replies.

bradb

Cadet
I asked you a question and you skated around it. Why?
It's a double axle trailer. All four have drum brakes, all 4 get the similar heat, see similar distance, all 4 are the same age. If one blows due to "no maintenance" then how come the other 3 didn't?
Sorry I didn't answer your question since I thought it was obvious what I thought. Yes, if that hub had a problem, I would be suspecting all 3 to have a similar potential issue.

So what did you do? Just spin the other 3 and call it your preventative maintenance? My guess is you had to replace the entire axle since you like wiped out the spindle on that side.

Bob Sander

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Sorry I didn't answer your question since I thought it was obvious what I thought. Yes, if that hub had a problem, I would be suspecting all 3 to have a similar potential issue.
Again, you didn't answer the question. How come the other 3 didn't blow if they receive the same "no maintenance" of the other one.... particularly if they have to take on a portion of the workload of the 4th blown bearing?

Stop playing puzzy-foot and answer the question

bradb

Cadet
Again, you didn't answer the question. How come the other 3 didn't blow if they receive the same "no maintenance" of the other one.... particularly if they have to take on a portion of the workload of the 4th blown bearing?

Stop playing puzzy-foot and answer the question
LOL...you think when you have a failure anything that is similar will all blow at the same time? When your tire blows out due to a defect, do all 4 tires blow out at the same time? BTW, because your one hub failed doesn't mean the other 3 took on an extra load. Doesn't even take a mechanical engineer to figure that one out. The fact that you even think that is ridiculous.

I can see why Bruce stopped responding to you.

Hopefully, other people will read this thread and learn something. You definitely have shown what NOT to do.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
LOL...you think when you have a failure anything that is similar will all blow at the same time? When your tire blows out due to a defect, do all 4 tires blow out at the same time? BTW, because your one hub failed doesn't mean the other 3 took on an extra load. Doesn't even take a mechanical engineer to figure that one out. The fact that you even think that is ridiculous.

Hopefully, other people will read this thread and learn something. You definitely have shown what NOT to do.
Perfectly said.

Bob Sander

Petty Officer 2nd Class

LOL!
No, no... you weren't claiming "defect". Don't try and snake your way out of this. You have claimed "no maintenance".
All 4 were handled the same way and saw the same lifestyle. If they suffered the same lack of maintenance, then logically speaking, all 4 would suffer a similar fate. And it would be more like a house of cards. They would fail one after another as they each had to take more responsibility on.

As for the other not taking the extra load... Are you kidding me?? Why do they double up on axles in the first place? To share the load between 4 tires instead of two. When a bearing fails on one the wheel it rides higher and it rides stiffer forcing the others to take on additional load.

You in your great wisdom didn't notice that in the picture? The larger gap between the axle and the top of the hub vs the bottom of the hub? That entire wheel is riding higher forcing the other to take more load.

Now once again, why did the other 3 not blow?

bradb

Cadet
LOL!
No, no... you weren't claiming "defect". Don't try and snake your way out of this. You have claimed "no maintenance".
All 4 were handled the same way and saw the same lifestyle. If they suffered the same lack of maintenance, then logically speaking, all 4 would suffer a similar fate. And it would be more like a house of cards. They would fail one after another as they each had to take more responsibility on.

As for the other not taking the extra load... Are you kidding me?? Why do they double up on axles in the first place? To share the load between 4 tires instead of two. When a bearing fails on one the wheel it rides higher and it rides stiffer forcing the others to take on additional load.

You in your great wisdom didn't notice that in the picture? The larger gap between the axle and the top of the hub vs the bottom of the hub? That entire wheel is riding higher forcing the other to take more load.

Now once again, why did the other 3 not blow
You know what that equalizer does that connects the two sets of leaf springs? Yes it equalizes the load on the two axles. Even my 15 year old son knows that. You aren't very mechanically inclined are you?

The other 3 didn't blow because it wasn't their time to blow. I am sure you will find out though if you continue not maintaining your trailer.

Lou C

Supreme Mariner
You must have old vehicles. I haven't seen a zerk on an OEM ball joint or tie rod for over 20 years.
Yes. 1998 Grand Cherokee. Haven't had to replace one of the those joints that have zerks either.

Bob Sander

Petty Officer 2nd Class
You know what that equalizer does that connects the two sets of leaf springs? Yes it equalizes the load on the two axles. Even my 15 year old son knows that. You aren't very mechanically inclined are you?

The other 3 didn't blow because it wasn't their time to blow. I am sure you will find out though if you continue not maintaining your trailer.
The equalizer system was strapped up with 2 ratchet cargo straps and further, the tire pressure was dropped in the affected tire to increase load to the other wheels in order to minimize damage.

It wasn't their time to blow? When is it time for a no maintenance bearing to blow? One would figure about ten minutes after it is asked to carry additional load.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

I agree...has to be the funniest thread I have read on here in awhile.

Bob Sander

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Well... what's funny is that you keep right on going with this. You have shied away from talking to me directly, but now continue in a rather childish and indirect, passive-aggressive style.

I don't mind listening to other people's ideas and opinions. Heck, I certainly have mine but if you don't like what I am saying or don't believe, then you should just leave the conversation instead of getting into this kind of childplay.

bradb

Cadet
The best part is when he changes his story from post to post. First the wheel moves 1/2" so there's more load on the others and then he says he ratchets up the equalizer. Of course the best plan of attack would have been to just remove the wheel at that point so the hub didn't drag on the ground, call a flatbed or park the trailer somewhere and fix the trailer later but not sure there is high mechanical IQ going on here.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
The best part is when he changes his story from post to post. First the wheel moves 1/2" so there's more load on the others and then he says he ratchets up the equalizer. Of course the best plan of attack would have been to just remove the wheel at that point so the hub didn't drag on the ground, call a flatbed or park the trailer somewhere and fix the trailer later but not sure there is high mechanical IQ going on here.
Exactly what I noticed.

Bob Sander

Petty Officer 2nd Class
It was actually the axle on that side ratcheted somewhat up to the frame, but no matter. There were a bunch of steps taken that day... and I would have told you... had you simply asked instead of attack, accuse and assume.

bradb

Cadet
It was actually the axle on that side ratcheted somewhat up to the frame, but no matter. There were a bunch of steps taken that day... and I would have told you... had you simply asked instead of attack, accuse and assume.
LOL...I ask you questions and you never answer them!

So what have you done with the other 3 hubs and what happened to the spindle of the damaged hub?

Bob Sander

Petty Officer 2nd Class
LOL...I ask you questions and you never answer them!

So what have you done with the other 3 hubs and what happened to the spindle of the damaged hub?
The spindle wasn't too bad. I originally thought I would have to cut it and weld on another one but when I got into it, I found the gouging wasn't that serious so It just needed to be filled, ground and polished. There were few ripped threads which I had to re-dress as well. New hub, bearing set, washer and castle installed.

The other hubs/bearings, as normal, have had their regularly scheduled pm check

bradb

Cadet
The spindle wasn't too bad. I originally thought I would have to cut it and weld on another one but when I got into it, I found the gouging wasn't that serious so It just needed to be filled, ground and polished. There were few ripped threads which I had to re-dress as well. New hub, bearing set, washer and castle installed.

The other hubs/bearings, as normal, have had their regularly scheduled pm check
LOL...spinning the wheel? Worked great with that one hub!

Bob Sander

Petty Officer 2nd Class
LOL...spinning the wheel? Worked great with that one hub!
Lift'em, spin'em, feel'em and hear'em

You assume "No Maintenance" and that is the reason for the breakdown when the distinct possibility (and probability since only one wheel blew) was a weak and or defective bearing/race.

What you see in the picture is burnt grease and hot metal with dirt from ditch water being poured on it. There is no way in the world you could see a lack of maintenance in that picture... unless of course you misunderstood the picture and didn't quite know what you were looking at ;)
That would be my guess.

bradb

Cadet
Lift'em, spin'em, feel'em and hear'em

You assume "No Maintenance" and that is the reason for the breakdown when the distinct possibility (and probability since only one wheel blew) was a weak and or defective bearing/race.

What you see in the picture is burnt grease and hot metal with dirt from ditch water being poured on it. There is no way in the world you could see a lack of maintenance in that picture... unless of course you misunderstood the picture and didn't quite know what you were looking at ;)
That would be my guess.
I understood it was a hub that never received proper maintenance which was confirmed when you say what your so called "maintenance" is.

I am sure your tale will be a good lessons learned for other people on the forum even if it hasn't taught you a thing.

Status
Not open for further replies.