Space between motor and boat where it mounts..

WebbieWorks

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Thread starter
Joined
Apr 21, 2012
Messages
98
I have about a 1" space between the motor and the back of the boat. (seen in image)

What can I do to fix this? Would a steel plate on both sides of the hull work? Is there a special name for that and can I order one?

I am not sure if the hull is rotting out.

P6091001.JPG
 

Bondo

Moderator
Staff member
Joined
Apr 17, 2002
Messages
71,533
Re: Space between motor and boat where it mounts..

I have about a 1" space between the motor and the back of the boat. (seen in image)

What can I do to fix this? Would a steel plate on both sides of the hull work? Is there a special name for that and can I order one?

I am not sure if the hull is rotting out.

View attachment 151303

Ayuh,... Welcome Aboard,.... I believe it IS Rotten... hence the gap...

Got a picture of the bolts, inside,..??
 

WebbieWorks

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Thread starter
Joined
Apr 21, 2012
Messages
98
Re: Space between motor and boat where it mounts..

Here are a few images. Its the best I could get of the inside.
P6091002.JPGP6091003.jpgP6091007.jpg
 

Woodonglass

Honorary Supreme Mariner
Joined
Dec 29, 2009
Messages
25,933
Re: Space between motor and boat where it mounts..

Hard to tell...Is this a Glass or Tin boat? The wood in the last pic does not look good. Is it wet??
 

WebbieWorks

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Thread starter
Joined
Apr 21, 2012
Messages
98
Re: Space between motor and boat where it mounts..

Its a fiberglass. I dont think the wood is wet. I am not complaining. I only paid $200 for the boat, trailer, motor, and trolling motor. It sat for 2 yrs before I got it.

I am hoping a steel plate or a transom plate would fix this little problem.

P5060810.jpg
 

Woodonglass

Honorary Supreme Mariner
Joined
Dec 29, 2009
Messages
25,933
Re: Space between motor and boat where it mounts..

Tilt the motor up and lock it in place. Have someone Yank the lower unit of the motor up and down with a LOT of force while you look at the transom. If you observe even the SLIGHTEST movement in the transom then...You have a bad transom that will need to be replaced sooner than later. With the pics you have posted, I'm in agreement with Bond-o in that it's appears that it might be bad. The test I suggested will help tell the tale.
 

WebbieWorks

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Thread starter
Joined
Apr 21, 2012
Messages
98
Re: Space between motor and boat where it mounts..

Well I took it to a marine guy when I first got it and he told me I needed to get that fixed. So would a steel or transom plate fix it? If so where is a good place to order them from?
 

Woodonglass

Honorary Supreme Mariner
Joined
Dec 29, 2009
Messages
25,933
Re: Space between motor and boat where it mounts..

Nope, that's just a "Band Aid" nota fix!!! If it has flex and a Pro said replace it, then you gotta replace it. That's my opinion. Others may chime in with a different opinion.
 
Top