Sons Cigar Boat Goes Down

Status
Not open for further replies.

pikefisherman

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Sons Cigar Boat Goes Down

I was rear ended,lucky not too mutch damage have insurance NOW! Good luck on the boat.

roger56

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Day three Sons boat is still in the water. Waves are suppose to subside today and with some luck He will get this Boat Floating today and back on the trailor. He is taking mutiple Pumps and alot of Help Will update.

lncoop

Vice Admiral

Day three Sons boat is still in the water. Waves are suppose to subside today and with some luck He will get this Boat Floating today and back on the trailor. He is taking mutiple Pumps and alot of Help Will update.

Hope everything turns out okay and no one is hurt in the process. That's the main thing really, isn't it? No one got hurt. I also hope you don't think I was judging your son with all my insurance talk. We've all been where he is to one degree or another whether with boats or something else, or at least I know (and admit:redface:) I have.

lncoop

Vice Admiral

Incoop, you are likely covered, but you were wondering what if you get hit by an uninsured/underinsured boater as if you weren't. As long as you have coverage for it, you are fine,and your rates should not increase if you file a claim.

Yes, definitely covered with lots of insurance, probably more than I need really. However, I did get my money's worth last summer thanks to the admiral. Fortunately no one was hurt in that dustup.:eek:

fish hook

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Wish I had some pics for you The boat is an older big twin Inboard. I have not heard from my son today Hoping he gets this resolved. I hope he learned a very expensive lesson. The Boat Is in 4-5 feet of water on bottom in sand. He does have ability to maybe get the trailor backed down to the boat. I am not sure the winch on the trailor could pull it out with out breaking something. If i am able to get some Pics i will post them. Thanks guys for the advice I will pass it along. I never though I would see this Many posts on a sunken Boat post.

on the bottom in sand, full of water with twin 8 cylinder anchors? it's locked in - the trailer winch will be useless unless he can get it to float a little bit

veedub

Seaman

good luck to your son. "things" can be replaced but people can not. Glad no one was hurt and hoping everything goes good from here on out for him, Im sure he's having a rough time right now.

roger56

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Boat back on trailor It only took 5 days to let waves subside got it to float and towed back to Trailer. Full of sand. He is tearing apart and try to dry it out. Still do not have Pics.

BonairII

Commander

He's going to have to get the motor running quickly or risk having it rust internally.

roger56

Petty Officer 2nd Class

He is working on getting it dry and cleaned up He has Mech.working on motors. Hope he gets it Back on the water.

roger56

Petty Officer 2nd Class

So do I But only time will tell.

roger56

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I play golf he does not. He would rather be on the boat.

V153

Lieutenant Commander

Y'all do know this is a really bizarre thread, right? Speaking of golf, I too enjoy a good cigar every once in awhile ...

NSBCraig

Lieutenant Commander

First I'm glad he got the boat out.

Second, wow you guys are harsh! Going out in 5'-7' in a boat built for it is not stupid it's fun. Sure some guy with a boat that can't handle it (who was the unintelligent one) went out and came back saying "don't go out there!", but what does that mean to a guy who's boat doesn't even run right until the water gets 2'-4'. (Probably when the other guy should have said no anyway at 4').

I'm sorry none of the info provided says your son is in anyway dumb, stupid, silly....

Sorry he had issues with securing his boat at the beach. See that constantly from very experienced boaters.

I'm guessing he'll put more thought into that though. Now.

So lets worry more about helping a fellow boater who had an unfortunate incident.

spoilsofwar

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Going out in 5'-7' in a boat built for it is not stupid it's fun.

I think we can agree that the going out in 5-7' waves in an offshore powerboat was not dumb, but that the anchoring it (improperly, apparently) to swim, and leaving no qualified operator onboard and no one able to get to it in time to get it out of trouble, was.

deeman7777

Seaman

All of the passengers Phones went down with the boat Except for One That was in a Plastic Bag (only smart thing that was done that day.This happen on a public beach. As far as the irish Go worked the stadium for12 years Not the same now as it was back then. My father in law worked as an usher for 60 years before retiring.

Roger – I am glad this worked out well for your son. At least no one got hurt in the ordeal and he will have a great story to tell for years.

As a side note, it’s difficult to read your posts with the various, random words capitalized. Swear I am not being a grammar Nazi, but I (and I suspect others) just really struggled to read your posts with random caps and very little punctuation. End a thought with a period and start the new sentence with a capital letter and for the most part you’re good!

Still can’t wait to see pics!!

Home Cookin'

Fleet Admiral

Sorry, Craig, this guy had a long list of very irresponsible acts. I'm all for helping out a fellow boater who had an unfortunate accident and I have often been one of them. But this guy took a large group of people in challenging conditions; beached in the surf, did not waterproof any (much less all) cellphones, had an anchor line which broke (I bet ski line), sank and swamped in an area he had no business being in, left it almost a week, and worst of all, had no insurance--too bad for him about no insurance on his own boat (and towing) but way too bad for the rest of the world that he has no liability insurance--for a boat like that especially.

If this guy was putting his uninsured "cigar" boat back on my waters I would find out who he is and have him grounded until he is insured. Good news is, he won't be running for a while.

haulnazz15

Captain

I think we can agree that the going out in 5-7' waves in an offshore powerboat was not dumb, but that the anchoring it (improperly, apparently) to swim, and leaving no qualified operator onboard and no one able to get to it in time to get it out of trouble, was.

I agree. While 5'-7' waves are not some absolutely insane conditions, they aren't something that should be messed with by amateurs. The cigarette boats (and other ocean-rated vessels) can handle them if the operator knows what he's doing, but this doesn't seem to be the case. I can't imagine an anchor line snapping from 5' waves unless the rode was too thin or the conditions were worse than advertised.

roger56

Petty Officer 2nd Class

sunk boat.jpg heres the pics of the boat. This boat has been recovered and is beat up by 7 ft. waves for 4 days.
It was in Michigan City beach. Many things were lost. Picture is per sons recovered Iphone. Only phone that survived...

Status
Not open for further replies.