Some People ?

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
Re: Some People ?

For future reference, never pressure wash wood unless you were already planning on painting it. I made the same mistake when I was going hog heaven with my new pressure washer.

R Socey

Chief Petty Officer

For future reference, never pressure wash wood unless you were already planning on painting it. I made the same mistake when I was going hog heaven with my new pressure washer.
It's aluminum. When she solicited me, I was doing another house. She asked me how much. I said I need to look at it. She said its just like this one. The one I was doing was vinyl. Vinyl has color all the way through - at least the newer stuff does. Aluminum does not obviously. That is why I offered to paint - I felt partially to blame until I figured out her stratagem - the egging. It almost looks like she had it touched up, and that touch up falled - looks like brush strokes?

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

That is why I offered to paint - I felt partially to blame until I figured out her stratagem - the egging. It almost looks like she had it touched up, and that touch up falled - looks like brush strokes?
Looks like it needs some more egging to make everything match!

R Socey

Chief Petty Officer

It is called the Office Of Consumer Protection - Montgomery County Maryland with a very pompous seal. Digbat may be right - she may have the wrong venue? Angies list does have alot of clout here. I think you need criteria to get on it - I'll check. As you can tell, I get flustered when I have to deal with the gov. Lets just say it's not my forte. I know your a good guy Bubba - I have read enough of your post to discern that. You have given me poigant advise that it correct in a buisness sense. I have been a rant - but I feel better. I really don't want my powerwasher to shoot exploding cannon balls - I use it on my boat.! :D

nwcove

Admiral

jmo, and plz correct me if im wrong, but you offered to paint her home, and do it at a loss to yourself ( $140 paint + labour, doesnt =$250), if this is the case it makes it sound like you did something wrong and are making an attempt to fix it.

R Socey

Chief Petty Officer

Looks like it needs some more egging to make everything match!
That is barley beneath me ;)

ROFLMBO... Sorry but I watched the old movie George of the Jungle again last night and your statement reminded me of the elephant shooting coconuts from his trunk.

As to Angies List, it's very popular in my area too. Users (not busniesses) can join for $12 a year. I was thinking you might give them a $12 - $25 discount to get them to join and write a review. My thinking is once you have say a dozen reviews you can drop the discount and consider it a case of priming the pump. Or maybe even better, you can buy gift memberships and hand them out to your customers. Again, just food for thought.

Wow, an important FYI for you. According the the web site the Office Of Consumer Protection - Montgomery County Maryland does NOT take complaints over home improvement / contractors and are supposed to direct the consumer to the Maryland Home Improvement Commission. You might want to contact them and ask them to remove the complaint and have them tell the customer to file her complaint with the appropiate agency. I can't speak for yours but we have something sort of like it here and it's comprised of home improvement contractors / engineers that actully have a clue on the technical aspects. I doubt any other professional would think pressure washing caused the damage she is claiming.
What was he shooting at? Thanks for looking that up. I wonder if it would be better if they spin their wheels in the wrong venue. Maybe it would be something like double jepordy - work to my advantage possibly? The complaint really won't affect my getting work now, as it all comes from word of mouth, but it coud have negative ramifications in the future possibly. I guess it would be best in the long run if it were expunged.
Many have started out through Angies list, and built a customer base, and no longer need them. It would be prudent for me to see what utilizing them entails. That is more good advise - thanks.

jmo, and plz correct me if im wrong, but you offered to paint her home, and do it at a loss to yourself ( $140 paint + labour, doesnt =$250), if this is the case it makes it sound like you did something wrong and are making an attempt to fix it.
You are right, and as I stated, because I was envolved, I did feel bad about the result. No one wants to leave a customer displeased, but that does not rise to a messure of culpability in my eyes, but it probably will in others.

foodfisher

Captain

CYA!! In Californicate the unliscensed contractor is a criminal, subject to untold fines and jail.

R Socey

Chief Petty Officer

CYA!! In Californicate the unliscensed contractor is a criminal, subject to untold fines and jail.[/QUOTE
You don't need a licence to paint or powerwash in MD. I think if I can prove she knew about the existing damage - that she is trying to
extort me with the strong arm of the gov. she may be threatened with fines, and jail.