Some good stuff happening

BWR1953

Vice Admiral
Today the boy and I did a "little" cleanup and reorganization in the garage so that we could work on the KF a bit later.

Just a little... :lol:

Somewhere therein lies a Kingfisher. :rolleyes:
4.jpg

Attachments

• 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    276.3 KB · Views: 0
  • 8.jpg
    8.jpg
    280.3 KB · Views: 0
  • 5.jpg
    5.jpg
    370.5 KB · Views: 0
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    342.1 KB · Views: 0
  • 7.jpg
    7.jpg
    414.3 KB · Views: 0
  • 6.jpg
    6.jpg
    427.4 KB · Views: 0

BWR1953

Vice Admiral
Today I picked up a 22" LCD TV for the garage that I had a line on a couple days ago. The seller didn't reply before but today said he'd been out of town. Fine with me.

The little Viore TV works well... except that apparently the IR sensor is broken. I put fresh batteries in the remote but the TV didn't respond. So I tried reprogramming the cable box remote to operate the TV but still no joy. Bums me out because I'd wanted to put the TV up on the high shelf out of the way. With no way to turn it on/off remotely, that idea won't fly. I'll fuss with it a little more tomorrow but for now it looks like I'll have to turn it on and off manually, requiring that it stay down low on my little work table. :grumpy:

But at least I'll be able to have my business shows on when I'm out there during the mornings. That's a good thing. ;)

1.jpg

BWR1953

Vice Admiral
Today we did some scrounging around and found a 1/8" stereo mini-plug to RCA cable that I had tucked away. Hooked the new TV up to the stereo receiver and the sound was excellent!

I ordered a remote outlet controller and will be able to power the TV on/off with that once it's connected. Tonight I realized that just because the TV wouldn't receive power from the outlet that it wouldn't necessarily power up automatically. D'oh! :facepalm:

So we just now went out to the garage and I used a small piece of wood to push the power button down, then taped it into place. Ran a quick test and the TV powered up! Good stuff.

Tomorrow we'll move the TV and cable box up to the high shelf to get them out of the way and also route all the cables properly. :nod:

1.jpg

BWR1953

Vice Admiral
This morning we got the little TV and the cable box moved up to the high shelf. Tested it all and everything is working okay. Still awaiting delivery of the items I need to finalize the installation. But we're up and running! :D

20180313_140849a.jpg

BWR1953

Vice Admiral
Received and installed the HDMI cable and remote power switch today. The cable worked fine, as expected.

And while the remote power on/off switch worked well, it ended up not being suited for my application. It turns out that the little Viore TV power switch got confused when I taped it down. Instead of just staying "On" it would endlessly cycle on and off until I released the power switch. Maybe I'll mess with the switch. Maybe not.

My wife is very concerned that I'll try to manually turn the TV on and off even though it's up high. Now, would I do such a thing? :noidea: :lol:

2.jpg

BWR1953

Vice Admiral
Well, it's been 2 1/2 years since my last post on this project. No real changes have happened since then, but change is definitely acomin' now! :D

My young neighbor friend who installed the electric, CATV and internet for me came over this evening to repair the Ethernet cable that runs out to the garage. He actually had to run a new cable from the house into the garage. But it was easy enough work for him. And we had a lot of catching up to do while he worked.
1.jpg

After he was done running the cable, we had some pizza and chatted about all kinds of things while sitting in the garage. Sorry, no pizza pics! ;)

The subject came up of projects and I told him now that the Kingfisher was like 99% done, that I had moved on to getting my truck back on the road again. So, it's sitting in the garage now, awaiting parts I ordered. :cool:
1.jpg

Then we started talking about the garage and I told him how pleased I was with how it turned out. At that point, he started looking around the building in an "analyzing" fashion. He was checking the ceiling and wiring, etc. I mentioned that in time that I wanted to insulate the building, then follow that (eventually) with air conditioning.

And then he surprised the heck outta me! Said that he has a 1.5 ton AC unit that he'd GIVE me and he could install it this weekend! :eek: All I have to pay for is the duct work and whatnot. How on earth did he know that my payday was tomorrow? :laugh:

As we talked, I kept thinking about the size of the thing and he volunteered to go back to his house and bring it over so that I could get an idea of its size.

And here it is! :lol:
5.jpg

We left off while talking about where to mount the air handler... then his wife called and commanded him to get back home! So he left. :cool:

He'll get back to me this weekend and we should be able to get it all installed, hooked up and cooling!

As he said... "AC now, insulate later!" :pound:

Stay tuned... :joyous:

Attachments

• 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    135 KB · Views: 1
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    388.2 KB · Views: 1
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    386.9 KB · Views: 1

BWR1953

Vice Admiral
Sooo... I have to build a stand of some kind to sit the air handler on. It measures 16x22 and the stand should be 1-2 feet tall. Any recommendations? 🤔

jbcurt00

Staff member
2X4s and plywood

A/C in the shop will be nice and you've got 8+ months to insulate before it starts getting hot enough to be really need to be insulated to keep from working the A/C to death trying to cool a hot tin can...

BWR1953

Vice Admiral
2X4s and plywood

A/C in the shop will be nice and you've got 8+ months to insulate before it starts getting hot enough to be really need to be insulated to keep from working the A/C to death trying to cool a hot tin can...
And 2x4s it is! :cool:

Got things done since my last post. Although I am by no means any kind of carpenter, I think the completed stand will hold up well enough.

First, we moved stuff around so that we could "hide" the air handler. My wife doesn't know that we're doing an AC project. I want to surprise her by inviting her out to the garage when it's working and cool inside.

3.jpg

Air handler tucked away in the SE corner of the shop.
4.jpg

The AC unit also has heat!
1.jpg

BWR1953

Vice Admiral
We started the garage cleanup using the "3 piles" method.
1 pile for trash
1 pile to keep
1 pile to give away

It begins!
1.jpg

I'll be using some of the "keep" pile to build stuff, then we'll put the rest into the trash pile.
2.jpg

BWR1953

Vice Admiral
The boy is handling the cleanup while I do other work. ;)

1.jpg

I cut some pieces from 3/4" plywood to replace the broken parts on my El Cheapo HF workmate.
2.jpg

Here, I'm teaching the boy how to locate focis and tangents to make an oval hole in the air handler stand. He's taking geometry this year but hasn't gotten this far yet.
3.jpg

Measuring for the cut.
4.jpg

I did the actual cutting.
5.jpg

And the cut is done!
6.jpg

Upper mounting plate (with the hole) on top of the lower AH stand mounting plate.
7.jpg

BWR1953

Vice Admiral
Lower stand plate completed.
1.jpg
2.jpg

Mounting the uprights to the upper stand plate.
3.jpg

Stand constructed! :cool:
5.jpg

BWR1953

Vice Admiral
This evening, the boy got the AH stand cleaned, sanded and painted while I made some new boards for the old HF workmate. Moving along here. :cool:

1.jpg
2.jpg

3.jpg

BWR1953

Vice Admiral
I really wrecked my shoulders a couple weeks ago while working on my truck. Haven't been physically able to do much heavy work since then.

However, I did finish the HF workmate repair. It's functional again.

1.jpg

I've been dealing with boat and other stuff lately, but we did get back to work on the garage this afternoon.

We moved the air handler up onto the stand and then camouflaged it from prying eyes again.
2.jpg

And we got several shelves cut and temporarily mounted. I ran out of some supplies, so I'll have to make a run to HD tomorrow. We're really looking forward to getting all the carp in the garage organized! 😜
1.jpg

Decker83

Commander
The A/C heat will be a great investment for the shop.
Sorry to hear about the shoulders. The Admiral has been going
through some major health issues that has stopped all my boat work.

BWR1953

Vice Admiral
The A/C heat will be a great investment for the shop.
Sorry to hear about the shoulders. The Admiral has been going
through some major health issues that has stopped all my boat work.
Thanks Decker.

Sorry to hear about your Admiral's health issues. I hope that they resolve soon. Best wishes to the both of you.

BWR1953

Vice Admiral
Well, we're halfway done! 😜
I'm very pleased with how it's turning out so far.
We finished constructing, painting and installing the shelves.

Got a lot of the scrap hauled off to the dump yesterday and started making room.
1.jpg

And the shelves are up!

2.jpg

And today we got things cleaned up and started organizing. Still much to do but we're getting there.

1.jpg

I had a set of rod racks leftover from the KF project, so mounted those in the garage near the door.
2.jpg

We got rid of the old scrap wood and cut the remainder of the good pieces into usable shapes and sizes, then tucked them away in the corner.
4.jpg

Next weekend we'll start on the other side of the garage. :cool:

3.jpg