So, what did you do today?

sphelps

Supreme Mariner
Been forming and digging footers for a new RV/Carport metal building going in at the house .. 3 of them 40’ long ..
What better time in Florida is there to do such a thing .. Lol! A little at a time between thunderstorms...

StarTed

Senior Chief Petty Officer
I spent the day making flashers with a friend for sockeye fishing.

A couple weeks ago I went sockeye fishing in the Brewster "Zoo". What a mess of boats going every direction in close quarters.

As I prepared to go I took inventory of my flashers and found only an old Abe N Al and a dodger. It's been so long that I don't remember when I bought them or if I ever used them. Since I have a 2 pole endorsement I figured that I needed some more. I didn't like the plastic ones so I thought I'd make some from some stainless steel scrap I had.

Well, one of my homemade ones turned out good. Since I'd never sockeye fished before I had to do a crash course by myself. The first half day I didn't have a bite. The next day it took from daybreak until 10:00 AM before I caught my first sockeye. I quickly set up my other pole with similar bait. I caught my limit of 4 that day but all on the same pole. The next day my brother-in-law joined me. I caught my limit by noon on that pole then let him use it and he caught another 3.

The following day I talked another friend into joining me. He is a good fisherman but he didn't catch anything on his2 rods while I caught my limit with that 1 rod. After that he caught another 3 with that same flasher. None on the other rods.

I've since retired that flasher and am using it as a pattern to attempt to make more for next year if not Roosevelt Lake kokanee before that. We'll see how well I can duplicate it. I beat it out with a ball pein hammer.

My friend came to my place bringing some stainless steel strips that we cut out, ground into shape, drilled and hammered into shape over a form I made and tuned up over a ball and shaft in a vise. We made 20 today, 10 apiece.

Next is split rings, swivels and reflective tape.

Sorry, no pictures.

gm280

Supreme Mariner
We assembled a new gas grill. Our old one lasted about 15 to 20 years and while I can rebuild it AGAIN, we decided to buy a new one. But after doing that, I was soaked in sweat and headed inside to cool off. That cool off idea lasted the rest of the day... Where is fall????

StarTed

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Ted - Are you making spoons?

The answer is yes and no.

These flashers were about the size of salmon fishing dodgers. The Abe N Al I have is about 13" long. The dodger is 8" long.

However I've tried to make some spoons using tea spoons and table spoons. Some I slit right down the middle leaving s small piece of handle on each to make jigging spoons. Others I hammered out of pieces of copper, brass and scraps of stainless steel. I'm not impressed with my paint jobs so I prefer the stick-on decals, especially the holographic type.

I'll try to attach a couple of pictures I took of some of the lead pours I made. I made the molds as well.

The 1st is my rotator for drying paint or epoxy and the second is used for finishing the drying or handing powder coated ones.

Attachments

• photo339125.jpg
    photo339125.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 0
  • photo339126.jpg
    photo339126.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 0

Grub54891

Vice Admiral
Yup, the entire lake is under gale warnings today. She's a rough one out there!

Grub54891

Vice Admiral
In N WI. Low 60s today, 40s tonite and 50s next week.... We went from 80 to low 60s practically overnite and very windy....

Saw a post that read: The weather went from 80 to 55 like it saw a state trooper!

gm280

Supreme Mariner
In N WI. Low 60s today, 40s tonite and 50s next week.... We went from 80 to low 60s practically overnite and very windy....

Send some of that our way. Today we had 96 degrees with ~ 80% humidity. If that doesn't make you sweat and not want to work outside, nothing will... I will say they are talking that next week it is supposed to get a break in the temps and humidity. But I have to see it to believe it...

I always wonder how they basically can't tell you with any certainty what next week's weather is going to be, but swear the next 20 to 30 years we will be so hot we will have a lot of America under water from ice caps melting. Hard to believe that in my opinion when they get next weeks weather so far off their own predictions.

82rude

Rear Admiral
Grub ,hows it in beautiful Washburn?Very windy in the Soo.Wasnt it right around your area last year they had 40 plus footers?If I remember correctly 2 poor souls were wave watching and were pulled out to their doom.

Grub54891

Vice Admiral
Grub ,how's it in beautiful Washburn? Very windy in the Soo .Wasn't it right around your area last year they had 40 plus footers? If I remember correctly 2 poor souls were wave watching and were pulled out to their doom.

It's been windy and cooler. 5' waves in the bay, 50° evenings, 70° during the day. Going for some better weather so I can get the Sylvan out again, nice to cruise the islands once and awhile. There was a family that went out in a kayak that lost the father and two small children, mom made it out. Bad one for sure.

jakedaawg

Rear Admiral
2020sandbarparty.jpg The party on the sandbar for 2020, woo-hoo. Getting set up. 8 racks of ribs 3 doz corn various other stuff.

WIMUSKY

Staff member
Friends of ours want to do a pontoon picnic today. Haven't done one yet and it's sunny and no wind. And 50s for highs won't arrive till Monday...

gm280

Supreme Mariner
"And 50s for highs won't arrive till Monday"... OMG, I'd love to see that for our lows... We have a long time to go to get those temps. And I can't wait either!

WIMUSKY

Staff member
I wish it was only lows. Summer took a huge turn, for the worse.....