so how many iboaters sail?

mark in new jersey

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: so how many iboaters sail?

I learned to sail in ?88 by crewing / navigating on a 40' Bristol yawl. I found that sailboats are a.) a lot of work and b.) not for people who are in a hurry! I loved every moment of it

I worked on that boat for several years before the owner sold it. He & I both got our USCG Masters licenses (100T/100M) while on that boat. Fond, fond memories.

This summer I bought my very first sailboat that I can call my own.....a '72 Sunfish! I'm a happy sailor once more!

drrpm

Senior Chief Petty Officer

I learned to sail on Green Bay and took some more lessons on Chiemsee in Germany while I was in the army. After I got transferred to Georgia I got a Force 5 that was fun to take out when there was a lake wind advisory. Then the kids came along and it was hard to find time to get out so I ended up selling it. Now the kids are bigger but they like to wakeboard and tube so now I have a powerboat.

clintbeastwood

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I like power boats, sailboats, jetski's, kayaks, canoes. I love the water. I have a power boat, sailboat, 3 kayaks, and 1 rather large canoe! We some times kayak with up to 300 people on the local rivers and allways have a blast. But some people are just jerks and you see them on any public water. I think they just get noticed easily on power boats.

Tacky

Recruit

Sailing here, 4 boats over the last 15 yearsl all sail, 22-26 feet.

littlejw

Recruit

Living on a 36' Islander sailboat. Six years in Kemah, Tx.. Retired in January 2011.
Waiting for winter to get over. Heading for Florida then south to Bahamas and Carribean. Leaving for a year or two.
Wife is first mate.
How great can it be.
Marina at Port Aransas, Tx.

jay_merrill

Vice Admiral

I used to sail quite a bit and raced sailboats for awhile. I started out both powerboating and sailing as a kid, so doing both just came naturally. For the last 20 years or so, however, its been strictly powerboating. My area is full of bayous, lakes and rivers to explore, so trailerboating seems to be the most fun.

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Crossing Rosario Strait headed for the San Juan Islands, relaxed and enjoying the ride. :D

attachment.php

Attachments

• Solitude.jpg
    Solitude.jpg
    140.9 KB · Views: 1

walkin_man

Cadet

I do both. I've a 14.5' Sea Nymph with a Tohatsu 25hp for fishing and general inshore exploration, and a 28' Pearson Triton when I want to sail. She's nimble under sail, and a very capable sea boat, if not a terribly fast one. I sail out of St. Marks, FL. Cheers!

Paul
Luna, #586

reach.jpg

Last edited:

bowler

Petty Officer 1st Class

My friends have a 33ft sail boat. To be honest, I don't mind it as someting to do but generally it's just too slow! I don't mind relaxing and enjoying the ride if there is a destination at the end, but as for just bobbing about for an afternoon I'd rather have more speed at my finger tips. It takes us 45 mins to get from the berth, down the river, before we even see the sea. That would take 10 mins max in the speedboat. In terms of cost per mile, sailing is pretty hard to beat. I'd still rather empty the wallet though and have plenty of horses pushing me along.

Many others would disagree!

T S N

Seaman Apprentice

I sail and motor. a Siren 17, 14' john boat, 11' penguin, 2 kayaks. I like the water.

i agree with you bowler. Sailboats are slow thats why on the calm days i take the motor boat out and cruise around and on the windy days which i would take a pounding on my motor boat i just go sailing and have fun. Also when im on the sailboat and the wind isn't blowing strong as i want and i can't get any more speed out of the boat even with all 3 sails up or just main and spinnaker i just call it a day turn the radio up and start motoring:) thats why my sailboat has a motor and im happy i have it every time i turn it on.

OBW414

Cadet

Love sailing and fishing both and own too many boats. Race and Cruise during the week and on the weekends out fishing or crabbing with the kids unless there is a weekend race. Being on the water is just fun

PSG-1

Seaman

I've actually got a certification from the American Sailing Association, I'm certified to charter a sailboat up to 50 feet in length, anywhere in the world.

Had a 14 foot Aqua Cat when I was a kid.

Right now, the only sailboat I have is a Hobie Bravo. It's a great little boat, no boom to fool with, and the sail is very easy to furl when done. I sail it around the inlet most of the time, every once in a while I'll venture out the jetties and run down the beach.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gEvHTGsjav4

Raghauler

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I've been sailing and powerboating all my life. I prefer sail over power, but own both as I really enjoy each. When it's too calm to sail, I go powerboating. When it's too windy and choppy for powerboating, I go sailing.

The kids prefered speeding on stinkpots when they were young, but now as young adults, they are beginning to prefer the raghauling lifestyle... it's all good.

If I had to choose one, though... sailing for sure.

cgBosun3

Seaman

Raghauler; saw your signature line...Jens rig or Hooks?

marvinjansen

Petty Officer 1st Class

I like this thread. I have 3 sailboats, a ski boat and a fishing boat. 11' Sea Snark, 15' Mutineer, 18' Gulf Coast 18, a 1973 Aristocraft 19, and a Sears 14' v bow with 18hp Evinrude. Also, a 10' kayak. I like the water too!

bcbit01

Seaman Apprentice

I've been owner/operator of 4 different sailboats (CM26, C&C 26, Starcraft Skylark 14, and my current boat a Santana 525 IOR 1/4 tonner) and am a silent partner (spend no money, do all the wrenching) in a Sea Ray 185. I thoroughly love both. However, if I had to choose one forever, I'd be a sailor. I'll leave my major motivations to myself (to avoid bruised egos) but suffice it to say...after 33 years of sailing, I'm still amazed to look up and see 250 sq. ft. of sail moving 2500# along quietly with just a breeze. Its serene, quiet, uses little or no fuel. Even though powerboaters may think sailing would be slow and boring (OK it is slow), add some more wind and its the fastest 5 or 6 or 8 mph will EVER feel. My biggest thrill is to take newbies out for their first after work sail. Most come away mesmerized...hooked if you will. While I do enjoy skiing and tubing (my kids love it too) or an evening cruise across the lake with my wife at 30 mph, there will still be no replacement for my sailing time on the water. For those that get it, no explanation is necessary. For those that don't get it, none is possible.

Fishin Magician

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Up here in Lake George, Ny ..........I rip a 14' Hobie with a 21' mast.......wow!........you wanna talk about havin fun!

chconger

Petty Officer 1st Class

Both please!

I sail on my 33' C&C when its windy, and swim off the Glastron when it ain't.

I prefer sailing if I had to choose....but I really, really, like power boating. And paradoxically, I prefer to work on the power boat. Not sure what is wrong with me there.

Small kids like the power boat. Especially riding in the bow.

I find some sailors a bit snobby to powerboaters... So its fun to have both at the club to keep them scratching their heads;-)

Cheers