so how many iboaters sail?

Humperdink

Cadet
Re: so how many iboaters sail?

New to iboats here. Ive come from a long line of sailors, and my family is from the lake superior region. I have sailed for my whole life (27), although not as much in recent years because i now live in GA. My father is a boat builder and fine wood worker. My parents and grandparents and so on raced in the Mackinaw race for decades, mostly on a boat called Antares. my brother founded the UGA sailing club, and now lives in San Diego and owns a Flying Tiger 7.5 which he races.

Here are sail boats in my family and boats ive sailed

Cape Cod cat, 17'--my dad built it starting when he was around 18 (64 yrs old now) and it still gets launched every year. most seaworthy boat we have.
Soling --Amazing sail boat. this thing will plane if you know what you're doing
Merit 25 (three of these still owned by my family, moored in the harbor). these are the ones we race/explore with regularly during the summers (lake superior)
J-22
Lightning--dad bought in a heap of junk and rebuilt it to like-new or better and donated to the UGA sailing club
470--same scenario as lightning
Santana--Again, like the lightning
Tornado (catamaran, fastest sailboat ive been on, my dad built it).--hard to sail. can make a grown man scream out-loud
Two other sail boats of whose manufacture i do not know (glass boats from the 80s).18' and 22'

im probably forgetting some. i have a rc sailboat.

lately i havent sailed much because i live in ga and a small fishing boat is all that is practical for me to own. plus all the ramps around here could hardly accommodate anything with a keel. Its weird from going strictly to a motor from being disgraced if you have to start your motor.

OBW414

Cadet

New to iboats here. Ive come from a long line of sailors, and my family is from the lake superior region. I have sailed for my whole life (27), although not as much in recent years because i now live in GA. My father is a boat builder and fine wood worker. My parents and grandparents and so on raced in the Mackinaw race for decades, mostly on a boat called Antares. my brother founded the UGA sailing club, and now lives in San Diego and owns a Flying Tiger 7.5 which he races.

Here are sail boats in my family and boats ive sailed

Cape Cod cat, 17'--my dad built it starting when he was around 18 (64 yrs old now) and it still gets launched every year. most seaworthy boat we have.
Soling --Amazing sail boat. this thing will plane if you know what you're doing
Merit 25 (three of these still owned by my family, moored in the harbor). these are the ones we race/explore with regularly during the summers (lake superior)
J-22
Lightning--dad bought in a heap of junk and rebuilt it to like-new or better and donated to the UGA sailing club
470--same scenario as lightning
Santana--Again, like the lightning
Tornado (catamaran, fastest sailboat ive been on, my dad built it).--hard to sail. can make a grown man scream out-loud
Two other sail boats of whose manufacture i do not know (glass boats from the 80s).18' and 22'

im probably forgetting some. i have a rc sailboat.

lately i havent sailed much because i live ia a small fisg b oat is all that is practical for me to own. plus all the ramps around here could hardly accommodate anything with a keel. Its weird from going strictly to a motor from being disgraced if you have to start your motor.

lake lanier

kenmyfam

Supreme Mariner

Used to do a lot of sailing with my parents many years ago. Still take the Hobie's out daily when on vacation though and tropical waters.

rallygabe

Cadet

My father is an avid sailor when he is not busy being retired:rolleyes:
When I was growing up he had a 24' Larson based out of Ashland, WI
A few years back he moved to Duluth, MN and sold the Larson to buy a 30' Pearson. Best upgrade ever. We have done the TransSuperior yacht race twice in it and he frequently stomps 30 year newer boats in races around the head of Lake Superior.
I have always enjoyed sailing and frequently entertained the thought of buying a small cat for the lakes I live near, but ultimately I own a small 17' runabout for water-sports and occasional fishing.

I am also mystified by the apparent dislike of sailboats by motorboat owners. But at the same time I am mystified by the incredible un-intelligence of boaters in general so I think somewhere in the middle we might find the answer.
Cheers,
gabe J

Rkrough

Seaman Apprentice

I prefer sail over power but the wind doesn't cooperate that often around my locale. I trailer-sail a 17' seaward that is quick to rig and launch (15-20 mins) and has enough accommodation for two people to be comfortable for 3 or 4 days.

Boaterbobski

Recruit

I sail, I motor, I paddle and I even sometimes peddle when I go boating. I love all forms of boats and am most happy when I'm on one. Some sail boaters think they are the only real boaters and that everyone else should not be on the water. Some don't know all the rules of the road. All they hear is "sailboats have the right of way"--Can't understand why people at anchor or in canoes and row boats yell at them when they get too close. Attitude and ignorance of some sailboaters are the reasons some boaters don't like sailboaters. I don't like some motorboaters either and for the same reasons.

s

Capt Sully

Petty Officer 1st Class

Yep, been there and done that. I've had Sailboats from 26' to 47', fast Bass boats, Johnboats, one man river pontoons, now I have a Pontoon for the lake mostly. I've enjoyed them all. The old saying goes, Enjoy what ever floats your boat.

94fwfreedom

Cadet

I would pick a sailboat over power any day, but because of kids, we just went back to a powerboat. My first sailboat was a 22 Southcoast, sold it, two powerboats, then an oday mariner. What a great boat, but kids weren't feeling it, so we are back to a stinker.
Sailing takes knowledge and skill, power boating takes a fat wallet :(

tommays

Admiral

Go the Seafever 1970 CAL 29

Go the Tangent 1981 J24

hockynut2

Cadet

Anything to get out on the water!! My dad and I sail up here in Upstate and Western New York. Seneca Lake is one of the greatest lakes here to sail, heart of wine country beautiful view.

Artwerke

Seaman Apprentice

P1010014.jpgJust can't do this on bow rider runabout,but lots of fun on a 38' Irwin sloop.

Last edited:

tpenfield

Staff member

How many? . . . 30,000, but that is just a guess.

Never had to climb the mast on my 22' Catalina, but looks like it would be a good view.

Artwerke

Seaman Apprentice

Sept06 028.jpgGreat view. Passing it on to another generation.

Eratix 3D

Seaman Apprentice

I sail quite a bit. My boat is a Capital Yachts Neptune 24. Our Dodge Durango tows it pretty good, but it looks tiny compared to it.

Photobug

Recruit

I am a new Iboater but joined so I can fix my kicker for my little sailboat.

I own a 14 foot cruising sailboat, race a 42 foot sailboat and just spent 6 days cruising a 30 foot Cal.

When I am not sailing I am kayaking. If I was richer I would look at a powerboat for diving and fishing after buying a big sailboat.

pvanv

Admiral

Many of us sail. Even those of us who sell OB's for a living :)

With roughly 9% of registered boats being sail, it's the other 91% that gets industry focus, but a lot of that 9% is very active and enthusiastic. Working in a marine store that has traditionally been geared to sailing (we have a loft and a rigging shop in addition to the outboard shop and the retail store), I do see a few power boaters that are switching to sail. In some cases, the cost of fuel to drive twin 454's is a factor.

Last edited:

Jacalore

Chief Petty Officer

Used to extensively. 18 years on the Chesapeake with a Tartan 34C ... Loved every minute of it. Entire family went out every weekend and an extended cruise every summer. Finally, after the kids were gone, I single-handed down to the Keys for a winter. on the way back, broke down, sold out and now trailer a 17' Chris-Craft down to the bay for a day on the water.

Last edited:

MarcPierre

Recruit

It's danger work to sail with boat in the ocean. there should be care during the sailing the fish.

Davied

Cadet

Always have been on the water. Sometimes for years on end, then some years a different hobby was in affect. Dad has a 19' Lightning that I was on from 8yrs. old until I get married. He also had a couple of Snipes and Sunfish, that I would sale. He is up in years now, so seldom sails, but he does have a 16'Lyman he likes to get out some. Brother is BIG in Sunfish and has actually it seems toured the world in races all over the continental U.S. and Canada, plus Italy and Santa Dominique at the Worlds. Sister has a Catalina 22'. The problem we had with power boaters is that they are most curious and want to run aside of you or cross your path close in front of you, when you are racing. Always pleasant when it is a very light wind day and forward progress almost comes to a halt. Why they can't just back off a few more feet is beyond me. No one is perfect, but I see the same people "buzz" the fisherman as well. I don't care what you enjoy, there is ALWAYS someone, who doesn't think....on both sides.