Skeeter owners

gonefishie

Commander
Re: Skeeter owners

Yeah she's sweet! I really like the lid latches. Just slide your fingers into the opening, squeeze and up goes the lid, kinda like a car door. No more flipping the little latch handle up and then twist it, no more broken latch when you try to close the lid with the little thingy in lock position. It was 47 degree here yesterday and will be 52 today. I'm gonna tidy up the garage and make room for her after work today. She coming home soon, Man I wish the ice is gone already.

ladano

Petty Officer 2nd Class

It's 74degrees here and the skeeter is getting rewired.

skeeterboy

Petty Officer 1st Class

Skeeter Strada F-80 with Merc 50 goes about 40MPH on GPS. Great lil boat for a first boat.

wannagofishin

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Skeeterboy,<br /><br />Haven't heard from you in a while. Sent an e-mail a couple of weeks ago and figured either it got lost or you were lost. :D <br /><br />Shoot me an e-mail when you get a chance, please. I've got some more questions for ya.<br /><br />Dan

ladano

Petty Officer 2nd Class

My f-80 '15 with a 115hp merc has to long of control cables. What are the proper lenghts needed? I measured about 8', but I think that might be tight. Thanx

wannagofishin

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I have the same problem. My cables are 10' and there's a big loop to the engine. I believe 8' would be enough but it's not a major issue. May change them in the future.<br /><br />Dan

ladano

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I was about ask you on your other post (shifter lock). I believe mine are at least 12', thats a big loop. I just spent 2 dys rewireing and cleaning it up and the loops are killing me. I think I'm going to order a set of 8'ers. By the way how does your boat handle? I haven't gotten mine in the water yet. Thanx

wannagofishin

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Handles great at speed. I'm not used to this type of boat (planing hull) and I've only had it in the water twice so far, but, and I've been told this is normal, it weaves back and forth at low speeds. I have to constantly adjust for this which is a pain in the a**. Trim tabs (Smart Tabs) have been suggested to help with this but I haven't tried them yet. They're cheap enough but I've been low on cash lately (Christmas, etc.)

skeeterboy

Petty Officer 1st Class

YO WAGON email me if you can I will get back to you.<br />If you dont have my email address i can give it to you.

LubeDude

Admiral

Originally posted by wannagofishin:<br /> it weaves back and forth at low speeds.
You mean when you are just trolling along at an Idle or just a bit above?

wannagofishin

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Bassin',<br /><br />Yeah, at idle. We've discussed this before and it was you that suggested Smart Tabs. Also, my steering seems a little loose. Some slop in the wheel. I can move it an inch or so before the engine responds. I was wondering if there is a way to tighten it up some, or do I need to replace the cable or steering mechanism.?<br /><br />Skeeterboy, the steering question was one I had for you, since you have the same boat. Do you know the brand of cable and/or steering on our boat? At 20 years old, I know our boats are a little worn, so is this something you have delt with, or is yours still tight?<br /><br />Dan

LubeDude

Admiral

Its not likely your steering, all outboards do it, some worse than others. Oversteering makes it worse. let it go longer before you correct it, or start turning the other direction before it starts to go the other. Its a pain no matter what you do.

wannagofishin

Petty Officer 2nd Class

It's not the zig zagging of the boat, I understand that, but it's the play in the wheel. There is 1-2" of play before the engine responds. In otherwords, when going straight, I can move the wheel almost 2" before the engine starts moving. If I were in a car, and there was that much play, I could adjust the steering box to correct it. I'm wondering if I could adjust my steering, fix it, or replace it.<br /><br />Dan

ladano

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Mine has about the same amount of play in it. I'll probably change it out later this month, when my jack plate comes in. I'm finishing the carpet in the morning them it's going to the shop. I hope to have it the water next week.

Jdeagro

iboats.com Partner

The reason Smart Tabs will stop the low speed wander it because they are deployed at slow speeds. The create resistance equally on both sides. Howerver we consider thia a side benefit not a primary benefit.

ladano

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Wannagofishin or skeeterboy, where ya at? Shoot me a email at 2dano@cox.net I have a couple of questions about our boats.

frubino

Recruit

I have been offered a 1989 Skeeter Bass Boat with a 115 Suzuki Motor, Boat-Motor-Trailer for $1,500. It has been sitting for 4 years. What do I need to watch for or look at before I purchase it?

wannagofishin

Petty Officer 2nd Class

frubino,<br /><br />There is a lot to look for in a boat that's been sitting for 4 years. By sitting, do you mean uncovered in a yard, or covered, or in a garage? <br /><br />Dry rot and trailer sunk are two possible problems. You need to get into the bilge area and check for rot. Whack a sringer to see if it is solid or mush. If you can stick the point of a pen knife blade more than 1/4" into a wooden part, it might be rotten. Trailer sunk is where the plug has been left in or the hole plugged by debris, and the boat holds water, literally sinking it on the trailer. Engine condition needs to be checked. Has it been run occasionally or was it properly winterized? Do a compression check for starters. Count on replacing the water pump, and the fuel pump.<br /><br />Take a shot-peen hammer or rubber mallet and tap several places on the hull, especially below the water line. It's sort of like a watermellon, you'll hear the difference between solid hull and delaminated.<br /><br />This is just for starters. I'm sure others will add different things to look for. Hope it works out for you! Skeeters are great boats. My '86 was garage kept and looks like new. In fact, my uncle thought it was a new boat when he first saw it two days ago. Couldn't get over the fact it was twenty years old.<br /><br />Dan