Sig 300 Bad Stringer and motor mount

Roady68

Seaman Apprentice
No Title

I haven't seen a lot of posts of people working with Coosa board, so here are a couple of things I did. I fabricated a new engine mount block. I used a table saw to rip the boards to width. I used the West System epoxy to glue the lamination together. A couple of pipe clamps provided clamping force. I doubled up and epoxied the stringer too. I'll get a picture of stringer later today. Some comments on working with the Cossa; Based on FAQ on their site, I used a fine tooth carbide tip blade in my table saw. Cuts like butter but makes more dust than wood. Respirator was used at all times. The dust itches like fiberglass, a big duh on my part, it has fiberglass strands embedded. My wood tools are on second floor of my garage and it was hot, so I was cutting boards with t-shirt and shorts on. I wont do that again. The board is expensive, but the shipping is killer. UPS can ship a 48 by 31.5 piece reasonably. If you need longer, you need to scarf or sister an extension. I did the latter to tie into a section of good stringer. I did not buy another board for the decking that the batteries sit on. I am using marine grade plywood for that. I'll be adding limber holes for drains so I don't expect water to get as high as the deck material.

Sorry about lack of pictures. I usually use the phone as a radio so I kill the battery and/or just forget to get pictures.

Attachments

• photo266900.jpg
    photo266900.jpg
    148.1 KB · Views: 0
  • photo266901.JPG
    photo266901.JPG
    262.3 KB · Views: 0

Roady68

Seaman Apprentice
No Title

Here is fabricated stringer. Going to test fit it after work. I still have a lot of grinding to do so that is focus so I can get a test fit. If all goes well I think I am going to use a bead of PL to bed the stringer. From the factory there was nothing but a thin layer of glass on the inside that sort of sucked under the stringer. Then of course the outside layup.

Attachments

• photo267008.jpg
    photo267008.jpg
    192 KB · Views: 0

Roady68

Seaman Apprentice
No Title

I spent some more time grinding. I am not sure what the grey stuff is, but its thick. About an 1/8" thick everywhere and thicker in the corners. Its soft and grinds easy with dust that is like talcum powder. But time consuming. I just started to get to the nice pink glass in the back edge. Another day or so should get me there. I test fitted the new stringer and first section of decking. More for just getting mental sense the end is coming. But I wanted to test fit to see where I need to trim. Once trimmed out I will coat in epoxy. I need to take some off the outside edge up front. The stringer needs to com up a hair. But for first pass on the plywood, I thought it was a good first time. Using foam board for pattern works great.

Attachments

• photo267134.jpg
    photo267134.jpg
    194.2 KB · Views: 0

Baylinerchuck

Commander
That gray stuff is probably gel coat. I had the same crap throughout the bilge of my SL. I ground it all down to get to fresh glass.