Should we drill for oil in Alaska?

OLDSPUD

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Should we drill for oil in Alaska?

Drill like hell.<br /><br />I don't see many enviro guys not boating, flying, driving, using plastic, feeling comfy in their warm homes, ect. If you want to rant about O-zone feel free, not to many changes coming, at least where I sit. <br />Simple facts are, there are more trees today than 10 years ago, until We lose 'em when the dang forests catch fire because man hasn't cleaned out or thinned out the trees.<br /><br />what is man suppose to do about volcano's (o-zone killer) worry? I'm not. <br /><br />Pollution is down, cars run cleaner, maybe one day, we won't need oil. But we are not there yet.<br />For now, oil is the fuel for freedom.<br />If you want to do something, go to china, Russia, and whoever else, and clean up their pollution, I think we doing a dang good job.<br /><br />Spud

cbnoodles

Chief Petty Officer

No offense but some of you are just spouting ignorance here. You don't need to be an industrial environmentalist to recognize the impact man can have on the Earth. Just look at the differences that have come about in Lakes Erie & Michigan or just about every major river in the US. Pollution ran unchecked for decades before enough people took notice and decided to do something about it.<br /><br />You who claim to be lovers of the outdoors should know better than to dismiss the issues out of hand. I remember when the Litterbug laws really caught on in the early 60's; and, although it took a while, the results were amazing. We can use the land and still be responsible for its well-being.<br /><br />That being said, drill now so we don't give every last red cent to OPEC. Just keep it clean fellas.

agitator

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Best place to fish is near the oil rigs. We need more of them.

PW2

Commander

The premise of the poll is interesting. It is believed by many there are vast ......<br />Just who exactly believes this? Mo reputible scientist that I have heard of.<br /><br />There are probably a few bucks to be made by a few, with not wild amounts of damage done (assuming they do it corrrectly) so if that is the goal, ok make your case.<br /><br />If you think that it will in any way lessen our dependendence on foreign oil, i'd check the ingredients of that kool-aid you are sipping

Boomyal

Supreme Mariner

Originally posted by PW2:<br /> The premise of the poll is interesting. It is believed by many there are vast ......<br />Just who exactly believes this? Mo reputible scientist that I have heard of.<br /><br />There are probably a few bucks to be made by a few, with not wild amounts of damage done (assuming they do it corrrectly) so if that is the goal, ok make your case.<br /><br />If you think that it will in any way lessen our dependendence on foreign oil, i'd check the ingredients of that kool-aid you are sipping
So I guess the above is good enough reasoning to side with the environmental whackos and the Democrats who are fighting it tooth and nail, huh, PW??? <br /><br />It may not be the eternal fountain of energy but add this site to the many others that a minority sqwauk about and it just might add up to a significant amount.

12Footer

Fleet Admiral

Has anyone seen Anwar? Where they intend to drill is more like a moonscape than a "pristine wilderness". And it is a small area. There is absolutely NOTHING "vast" about it, as originally elledged by WillyBWright. <br />And to dismiss man's requirements out-of-hand as environmentally unfriendly, is irresponsible.To base an opinion formed from politics or scientists on a party's payroll is not very bright iether.<br />As for independence on foriegn sources, well ya.<br />Of course, anwar will have a very small impact there too.<br /><br />INDEPENDENT scientists claim there is very little to damage, given the changes comming from natural scources,such as climate change.<br />Carabou will still have free-range, and will go where the food is. BTW, what is the footprint of a typical oil rig? What is the total footprint of the propsed pipeline? I personally don't know, but I do know it would be small. So small as to be insignificant.

Terry H

Lieutenant Commander

12 is absolutely right...and of them environmenal wacko's should chain themselves to a tree there where they wants to drill and try to stop the drilling. That is, if they can find a tree, they'd have to fly south a couple of hours before they could even find something other than lichen that grows...just a thought :)

WillyBWright

Fleet Admiral

What we need is to move on. And slowly we're doing it. We're using alternative fuels on an ever increasing number of available vehicles. But with a Texas oil millionaire at the helm, there's just not as much motivation as there should be. In fact just the opposite. I would rather see the money spent on development of alternatives, but considering who's in charge I don't see it on the horizon anymore. So we have do keep on keeping on with what works and what's available. Contemplating what would happen if the foreign supply ends due to politics or resource exhaustion, well ... best we are able to provide for ourselves. Oil isn't the final answer, but for now it'll have to do. As far as the amount available, I was under the perception that there was a lot. If it's a misconception, I'd say it's a common one.

12Footer

Fleet Admiral

I do not agree. Every oil man worth a dime is hard at work, paying for alternative fuel research....Just like a !@#* EXXON commercial!!! Why? They aint stupid. If any of these "rich Texas oil men" sat on thier laurels, or trusted in the future supply of cheaply-attainted fossil fuels, thier rich days are numbered (much less thier time at "the helm").<br />I do agree ,(as does GWB ,BTW), that "oil is not the final answer". I think most people would also agree.<br />And I still say your hatered for Bush is irrational, and I can proove it.

PW2

Commander

First of all, I am in no way an environmental "whacko". I worked for OCF doing environmental control on the aboveground insulation for the original Trans Alaskan pipeline project, where there was vast amounts of oil involved. I am extremely proud of my work on that project, and the results we achieved. Ask me anything you would like to know about that project, and the environmental science behind it.<br /><br />Second, while there are no doubt environmetal wackos out there, not all concerned with the environment are "wackos".<br /><br />Third, while there are environmental issues with this, it is not really an environmental issue. It is an economic and strategic problem.<br /><br />Ever wonder why OPEC wants to control the price of crude? It is because they want to keep the price in control so that it remains economically unfeasible to develop alternatives.<br /><br />We are eventually going to need to pay what it will take to develop alternatives, and that must include nuclear. ANWAR does nothing to change that. If we are to lessen our dependence on foreign oil, we need to lessen the demand for it. We are not going find vast new reserves of oil. It is a fundamentally a strategic, and only periphally an environmental problem.<br /><br />And it is going to cost lots of money to develop.

PW2

Commander

And 12, do you really want to leave our strategic future to Exxon Execs?

12Footer

Fleet Admiral

Originally posted by PW2:<br /> And 12, do you really want to leave our strategic future to Exxon Execs?
Yes, I do. As far as energy scources, Exxon and all the others, are best equipped to meet our energy needs than say, Mike Moore, for example. They are in the unique position to provide the needed know-how and equippment to find them. Need i mention, they are "greedy, coorperate,caspitalist giants of commerce",and want to continue in that role? To insure thier OWN future existance, it is in thier best interest to find cheap scources and alternative sources,and to do so soon, before our current supply of crude oil is no longer obtainable. I can garauntee, there are more dollars and manpower hours absorbed in this quest by THEM, than by all the world's complainers combined!<br />
Originally posted by PW2:<br /><br />First of all, I am in no way an environmental "whacko". I worked for OCF doing environmental control on the aboveground insulation for the original Trans Alaskan pipeline project, where there was vast amounts of oil involved. I am extremely proud of my work on that project, and the results we achieved. Ask me anything you would like to know about that project, and the environmental science behind it.
<br />Niether am I, a reckless, greedy poluter of the earth.<br />I had a 30Year-long career with the City of Fort Myers, as an environmental inspector, and 5 of those years as the dept's head.<br />I did my best to protect the beauty that was Southwest Florida, and the "river of Grass". Our present governor and president have also pladged billions not only in it's preservation, but it's RESTORATATION. not Bill, not Jimmy Carter, but GWB and his bro! Go figure. :rolleyes: <br /><br />
Originally posted by PW2:<br /><br />Second, while there are no doubt environmetal wackos out there, not all concerned with the environment are "wackos".
<br />Agreed, but just like this irrational hatered for Bush, you'll have that..An irrational effort to lump all whackos together.<br /><br />
Originally posted by PW2:<br /><br />Third, while there are environmental issues with this, it is not really an environmental issue. It is an economic and strategic problem.<br /><br />Ever wonder why OPEC wants to control the price of crude? It is because they want to keep the price in control so that it remains economically unfeasible to develop alternatives.
<br />Yup....We are on exactly the same page here. All this BS about "the fragile environment" and "vast fields of tundra" are ludacrous! All they want to do is shove a stick in the bicycle spokes of progress and future energy sources....And if they cannot suceed at that, they will fight it just to increase the costs of same to "Bush and his fat cat buddies"!<br />But all that BS is predictable and ignorable.

mellowyellow

Vice Admiral

if u could keep just one US dollar from going<br />to the middle east, why wouldn't you???<br /><br />and 4 the tree-huggers... how will making a few<br />holes in the ground in alaska effect the global<br />climate???<br /><br />the "reason" eco-maniacs stopped drilling in the<br />first place was cuz it "might" effect the migratory<br />path of a caribou herd.<br />hello, reality?

rolmops

Vice Admiral

Originally posted by Nate in AR:<br /> I would rather pay 2.00 for domestic oil/gasoline than 1.65 for foreign. Would rather keep my money in US economy than some Arab or South American economy.
Opening up Alaska for drilling does not mean that more domestic oil will reach the domestic market.It means that the oil companies have more oil<br />Alaska oil is currently exported to Japan and Arab oil is imported even to California.That way big oil makes an extra 5 cents per gallon.

Kenneth Brown

Captain

Why is it bad when man causes the extinction of a small rat, but just fine when an asteroid wipes out all the dinosuars.<br /><br />Did you ever stop and think man was put here to cause destruction, just like other natural things? Did you ever think that destruction is not always bad?<br /><br />
You know what? I never thought of it like that. It can't be right though because it just makes to much since. I like it though, and I think I am going to adopt it also.<br /><br /><br />
and 4 the tree-huggers... how will making a few<br />holes in the ground in alaska effect the global<br />climate???<br />
Not a tree hugger but I got a reply. My county made the cover of the Wall Street Journal. We are the largest gas producing county in the entire United States. I can show you what drilling does. As I said before, I have one in my front yard. I can hit it with a rock or baseball. I KNOW what they do. As much as I hate too maybe Plywoody can help me out. PW- You say you worked on the oil pipelines? Do you remember where the gas was separated from the oil? Do you remember the Tulip flares that burnt the gas off? Tell them about it if you do. Right after high scho;; I worked in a stainless steel fab shop. Our biggest customer was for these flares. Imigaine a tulip shaped object with a incomimg pipe of 48 inches and a top exit side of about 10 feet. Instead of shipping the gas down from the artic where it is made they BURN IT OFF. It is not economical for them to ship it where it can be used. Can you think of how much heat that thing is putting out? That 48" pipe runs about 3500 psi nonstop, always burning. That might cause a little warming if you ask me.

Realgun

Commander

The earth is heating up, yes. But why, who knows.<br /><br />The earth's temperature has changed over the years and will always change.<br /><br />COnsidering we only have about 150-200 years of data, I hardly think that you could make too much of a judgement from that little of amount of data.<br />
Actually we have evidence that the Earth we live on has been both warmer and colder than today.<br />There are ice core from Anaetica that go back 160,000 years.<br /><br />We are affecting the Climate however I don't believe we will create more deserts as predicted.<br />We will create more rain and more fresh water. The sea levels will rise but cloud cover will also increase. I believe deserts will actually shrink.<br /><br />We will run out of oil in 40 years. In the mean time lets get those Nuclear plants built. We can bury the spent fuel 10,000 feet under ground in a subduction zone and we will not have to worry about it. <br /><br />We may need to get a national garbage dump and cap it so we can use the methane and turn it into plastics and such.<br /><br />Now somebody wake me up!

phatmanmike

Captain

If you weighed all the insects on the planet right now, they would outweigh the humans by about 3-4 times
true, yes, but do they drive cars?<br /><br />this is a no win situation. those of you who could give a crap about the world, saying that man was put here to cause destruction, should really wake up.<br /><br />those of use who have some sort of idea as to what is happening, im sorry. you can try, but just take a look at who is driving our boat!

PW2

Commander

Let's see. Where to start. It won't keep even a dollar of our money out of an Arab's pocket. It's a world market, with global pricing.<br /><br />as far as Exxon execs solving the energy problem, that is a fairy tale. No individual company, with shareholders, has a long range timetable for the huge investment it will take for alternate sources of energy. If it is going to be done, it will be done by the gov't.<br /><br />As far as oil and gas separation, much of the current gas in the current Prudoe Bay field is being stored in the ground in the area of removed oil for later use. Expect a natural gas pipeline, parrallel to the existing line to be announced sometime in the future.<br /><br />And environmental favors for Florida? Could it be that Fla is a swing state, and Calif, for example, is not???

kenimpzoom

Rear Admiral

Kenneth Brown, I believe it should be illegal to burn the natural gas that comes with the oil. Burning it is pathetically stupid.<br /><br />Shell offshore got into big trouble for flaring the gas without a proper permit. I think now they are trying to capture the gas.<br /><br />Myoutboards, I didnt say man was put here to cause destruction, I only believe we are part of the destrcution. People always want to pull mankind out of nature, and I believe we are part of it.<br /><br />And yes, for many years we dumped toxic chemicals in lakes and rivers. I hope we learned our lesson. I think those that willfully and knowingly polluted should be prosecuted to the fullest extent.<br /><br />The foot print of a rig can be very small, at the most, the size of a football field. The only pollution they cause are diesel exhaust and noise. And they dont disturm nothing. Many a deer have been taken via rifle from the rig floor.<br /><br />Ken

kenimpzoom

Rear Admiral

PW2, why o why do believe the governement will be the saviour.<br /><br />Can you fathom the amount of money to be made with an alternative energy source?<br /><br />Trust me, all the major energy companies are having dreams of trying to find alternative energy.<br /><br />But I do agree with you on one thing. Drilling in Alaska will not help our foreign dependence on oil, nor will it keep money from going to the mid east.<br /><br />Ken