Should we drill for oil in Alaska?

kenimpzoom

Rear Admiral
Re: Should we drill for oil in Alaska?

I have thought of the foreign oil vs US oil a lot and came to this conclusion.<br /><br />It is better to use all of their oil first, then tap our own. It may get kinda messy those last years of oil dependence and we dont want to have to dance for another countries oil.<br /><br />Hopefully alternative energy sources will make it all moot.<br /><br />Ken

snapperbait

Vice Admiral

I don't think it matters...<br /><br /> If we don't drill and screw up Alaska, that means we WILL drill and screw up somewhere else...

Fly Rod

Commander

:) I'd be aganist drilling in Alaska unless that oil was absolutely going to this country!!! We do not get any oil from the Alaskan pipe line now!!!! Most of our oil comes from Venisrala!!! What makes anybody think that we will get the oil with a new oil field???? ;) :cool:

SpinnerBait_Nut

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Who cares, I need gas for my Hemi. :D <br />Someone, please drill. I want to go to Whitt Texas. :eek:

hayhauler

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I see no more reason not to drill in Alaska, than Texas or Oklahoma. Certainly there should be environmental regulations but why just leave it there when we can use it. <br /><br />Those who are against the "large companies" should recognize that no individuals would be able to accomplish something on this scale. Let them drill, require them to do it in a conscientous fashion, but don't simply prohibit it and say it can't be done in a conscientous fashion, I think that's a pile of caribou droppings.

pjc

Lieutenant Commander

saw a deal in the paper about huge sandoil reserves in Canada. Forget the name of the petro company that processes the sandoil, or oilsand. <br /><br />So, in addition to pumping crude, this oilsand adds to available oil resources in North America.<br /><br />Anyhoo...I am endorsing development of oil drilling, etc. in Alaska.

LubeDude

Admiral

ABSO-FLIPPING-LUTLY, Drill away!

phatmanmike

Captain

Oil is very important to mankind...so is the environment.
nature was here long before man kind, and nature will be here long after we all die and are long gone!!!<br /><br />mankind is trashing this planet at such an alarming rate, we wont be here long enought to watch the caribou die!

Barlow

Lieutenant Commander

I say drill and suck up everyone elses while the getns good .. then we can hold out with ours and 'rape' every other country and economy by holding the high hand.<br /><br />15-2,4,6,8,10,12,14,16, four of a kind for 28, knobs for 29 .. <br /><br />sorry, played too much cribbage new years night.

Kenneth Brown

Captain

On one hand I have a well in my front yard, so I say drill the fire out of Alaska. On the other I say hold out till we control the oil. The problem with holding out is some dumbarse will say its not right to use it for just us. They will tell us to GIVE it to everyone else. And that someone will probably be in charge too.

kenimpzoom

Rear Admiral

phatmike, why is man not part of nature?<br /><br />Why is it bad when man causes the extinction of a small rat, but just fine when an asteroid wipes out all the dinosuars.<br /><br />Did you ever stop and think man was put here to cause destruction, just like other natural things? Did you ever think that destruction is not always bad?<br /><br />And please tell me where all this destruction is? I live in Houston, TX probably one of the most pulluted places in the USA, and it looks great.<br /><br />The only halfway serious problem facing the world these days is CO2 buildup, and trust me, we will find a solution.<br /><br />Ken

eeboater

Commander

I think it is completely ludacris to think that man, as insignificant we are, has some type of huge impact on the planet. Think about it. An offshore oil refinery leaks a little oil because it "sprung a leak." I'm willing to bet there is more MARINE ANIMAL WASTE put in the ocean each day than we could ever dump from a simple oil spill or refinery leak.<br /><br />I'm of the opinion that Nature is much more powerful than many believe. Case in point, the recent Tsunami's. Mother nature killed more life in a matter of two days than we have with our "pollution" etc in a long time. <br /><br />You think we have the ability to "heat up the planet" or make the icecaps melt, then you are dilusional. <br /><br />If you weighed all the insects on the planet right now, they would outweigh the humans by about 3-4 times.<br /><br />And for some reason everyone seems to forget that Oil is coming from the land. How much oil do you think automatically leaks into the ocean each year simply from mother nature?<br /><br />Now, I'm not all for burning all Rainforests down, or uncapping all the restrictions that are placed on industry so they can dump all their waste into our rivers and pollute away. But you know what, I also think that we need to realize that we "egotistical humans" aren't as powerful as we think we are.<br /><br />Sean

kenimpzoom

Rear Admiral

I agree ee. Mankind is very arrogant if they believe we can change the climate. Doesnt anybody ever remember their history.<br /><br />Did mankind cause the ice age, no.<br /><br />But had the stupid environmentalists been alive during that time, it would have been "mans" fault.<br /><br />Ken

eeboater

Commander

For inquiring minds, I just finished this book. I HIGHLY reccomend it!!!<br /><br />Sean<br /><br />

Carphunter

Commander

I don't think we should drill for oil in Alaska.<br /><br />I do think we should take the oil from the middle eastern countries that are too stupid to realize what should be done with it.<br /><br />Ain't I such a nice fella. ;)

cmyers_uk

Senior Chief Petty Officer

I think it is completely ludacris to think that man, as insignificant we are, has some type of huge impact on the planet.
Look at the impact on the environment from a single disaster like Chornobyl or hbopal mankind it quite capable of polluting the environment and killing 10's of thousands of people in one go. Weve seen huge problems with flooding that didnt happen before because of deforestation the list is endless of man made things that have effected the environment.<br /><br />With all due respect we can measure our impact on things like the ozone layer and see the problems it causes in places where the hole is. There is so much scientific evidence to demostrate how we are increasing the temperature of the earth how do you just dismiss it? is it just because of other information or just a gut feeling that were insignificant? Im really not having a go just interested in how you come to that decision.

LubeDude

Admiral

The Ozone is a continually changing thing, it is actually smaller now than at any time since we have been looking at it. Guess what they are saying it is because we have made headway in the production of ozone depleting products. I say its a natural fenomina. If you think man can do anything to help the ozone, you are in fact delusional. Like making a glass of milk clearer by dropping a drop of water into it.

kenimpzoom

Rear Admiral

The earth is heating up, yes. But why, who knows.<br /><br />The earth's temperature has changed over the years and will always change.<br /><br />COnsidering we only have about 150-200 years of data, I hardly think that you could make too much of a judgement from that little of amount of data.<br /><br />As far as your example of mans impact, I was meaning that man cant control the weather long term. We certainly can control the terrain, and yes, that has led to flooding.<br /><br />Ken

cmyers_uk

Senior Chief Petty Officer

As far as your example of mans impact, I was meaning that man cant control the weather long term. We certainly can control the terrain, and yes, that has led to flooding.<br />
Ken,<br /><br />I agree that we cant control the weather, but the way I look at it is that the planets weather changes to compensate for what happens to it. I.e As the world heats up for whatever reason man made or otherwise the weather will change and cause the world to cool, unfortunately this may have side effects like it did to the dinosours. <br /><br />Lube,<br /><br />The North pole hole only exists for 2 months a year it is not the smallest its ever been. If you look at this site its show pictures from NASA showing the whole size each year http://www.theozonehole.com/ozoneholehistory.htm <br /><br />The size of the hole appears to be directly linked to the quantities of CFC's that accumulate in the atmosphere.The ultraviolet radiation at altitude breaks down CFCs, freeing the chlorine. Under the proper conditions, this chlorine has the potential to destroy large amounts of ozone. This has indeed been observed, especially over Antarctica these are manmade not naturally occuring chemicals, they did not exist on earth before 1930's. I may be wrong but I have looked at the facts available to me and I dont think its delusional to think things we do can have longlasting and significant effects on the planets weather and eco system. I hope im wrong I really do but hey I guess Im just a worrier<br /><br /><br />Disclaimer: Answers given to ozone related questions are an opinion only, as I have no profesional background in ozone depletion, but I know a thing or two about computers!! :)