Should I make an offer on a starcraft islander ?

SnapperMassacre

Seaman Apprentice
I would appreciate some help on this potential purchase. It's a 73 islander, non running, has sat for 16yrs and for sure needs new floors and transom. Not to mention electrical and fuel items. I/o is questionable at most and this is the second owner. It was a year old when he bought it. Trailer is the only thing that will need minimal work. The cuddy is shot interior wise, glass is so so. He is asking 2000. Yikes! But a second phone call to him he talked junkyard trip and selling trailer separately. Should I even attempt to rescue this boat, I don't want to invest more than 500 to purchase. Wishful thinking or is that about what it's worth? I don't know much about the i/o but the wood replacement and resto is no problem. I'm limited in my workspace atm, but it has sat this long and I'm in no rush. Ideas?? Comments on its value would be greatly appreciated. It's complete but really rough. Thanks Josh

Watermann

Starmada Splash of the Year 2014
Re: Should I make an offer on a starcraft islander ?

Hi Josh,

Well I'm a bit biased when it comes to these big tin boats. I say give it your best shot on the Islander. You guys are quite a ways apart in the price and he knows the boat isn't worth his 2k asking price. When I got my Chief, the guy wanted 1100 for it. The trailer was shot and the motor was a basket case. I stood tall on my best offer 600 and it took a couple weeks but he called me and we made the deal. I just made sure he knew that his pool of potential buyers was very small since the boat needed a total restoration. Be sure to have your top dollar cash in hand, it will show him your serious about the offer. Any place else and I could have just about got the guy to give me the boat but in WA state boats sell for a premium.

So what is the I/O anyway? If it's a MC then great, OMC... not so great.

SnapperMassacre

Seaman Apprentice

I have pics but they are night shots and really dark, I believe its a mc. I am reading how to post pics now.

rheagler

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Hi Josh. I'm pretty much as biased as Watermann. I say offer what you are comfortable with. Your offer of $600 is above what I believe he would get for it in scrap. He may be a hardhead about it though, you never really know. I paid $950 for my Starchief, no motor, no trailer, floor and interior shot but decent transom and salvageable cabin walls. I'm also a lousy negotiator and didn't even try to talk the seller down. I was comfortable with the price because it was what I wanted. If he doesn't take your offer, keep looking. You will find one!

SnapperMassacre

Seaman Apprentice

a few morephone pics 930.jpgphone pics 931.jpgphone pics 932.jpgphone pics 933.jpg

I took the pics of the logo, you can just read the islander faintly in person. But the pics hardly show.

Last edited:

jbcurt00

Staff member

Although this is a good thing:
attachment.php

Even if it'll start when you next visually inspect it, it still doesn't appear to be a $2K rig.

Looks to be complete, so, yeah, it's a buy, perhaps above your $500 limit, but not nearly $2K....

SnapperMassacre

Seaman Apprentice

I think the owner is placing the value in the trailer. His words were the trailers only been in the water three times.... 16yrs ago! Tomorrow I will go get some better daylight pics and open up the motor cover and jump on the floor and poke around and see how bad it might be! Maybe I can appeal to him.

matt167

Rear Admiral

Trailers got some rust, so even brand new 16 years ago, it probably needs some work, certainly 4 new tires, probably brake work, surge M/C if it's got surge brakes. $3-500 trailer at best. Looks like a bunk trailer with keel rollers, not all that uncommon and run of the mill.

jasoutside

Supreme Mariner

Yah, guys always try to put a bunch of value on the trailer. Trailers are a real pain! That trailer will need 4 new tires and at least a bearing repack. That alone will be about a $500 job.

Though, you do have a Merc in that boat which will make your life so much easier if you go for it!

$2K? Ah yah, nope.

$500ish? Yup, far more reasonable. If he took two days off of work to strip every single piece of wood, glass, steel screws, engine, electrical............ he might score $250 at the scrap yard for that hull. Scrapping is never worth it. A seller can always make more selling it whole.

I'd like to think somewhere between $500 and $1000 would be a fair deal for this one. Happy hunting!:thumb:

1NewBoatGuy

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I would say, know what your getting into. Check it over real well.
If you are comfortable with what you find, offer your 500 and see what he says. I'd you don't get this one, there will always be another.

SnapperMassacre

Seaman Apprentice

I would say, know what your getting into. Check it over real well.
If you are comfortable with what you find, offer your 500 and see what he says. I'd you don't get this one, there will always be another.

Well, where do I start....The Engine TRASHED. The floor is beyond soft, half way good or even remotely close to being usable. The seats and eng. cover...falling apart. The hour meter says 223. The entire boat has that rotten moldy mildew "I've sat here and rotted away smell". The entire boat is a hulking mess. My thoughts are to just walk away....I have nothing invested...nothing lost. I will find a better resto. Thanks for the input....I will keep looking. Anybody know of a decent resto in the NW florida area...I'm all ears!! Thanks again...Josh.

64osby

Admiral

Josh, You know you're asking permission to grab from the cookie jar from a bunch of 10 year old's.

Any project will need a tear down and replace. Having templates can make it easier.

Have fun and good luck in finding your boat.

Last edited:

jbcurt00

Staff member

Well, where do I start....The Engine TRASHED. The floor is beyond soft, half way good or even remotely close to being usable. The seats and eng. cover...falling apart. The hour meter says 223. The entire boat has that rotten moldy mildew "I've sat here and rotted away smell". The entire boat is a hulking mess. My thoughts are to just walk away....I have nothing invested...nothing lost. I will find a better resto. Thanks for the input....I will keep looking. Anybody know of a decent resto in the NW florida area...I'm all ears!! Thanks again...Josh.

Yep, sounds about right. $2K for that mess isn't out of the ordinary, unfortunately.

If that's the size & style boat you're looking for, don't totally write it off, yet. Look around for other projects, but see if that boat is still for sale in 30days+/-.

As noted above, many projects start w/ a similar outrageous asking price, but eventually some sellers realize you were the ONLY buyer who showed any interest.

Josh, You know you're asking permission to grab from the cookie jar from a bunch of 10 year old's w/ cookie crumbs all over their faces & hands :facepalm:
Fixed that quote ^^^ for ya 64....

Not a whole lot of Florida boats, but CBK digs up a deal every now & again. Subscribe to both of these threads:
Starcraft on C-list/ebay!

CL Donor Boats for our Tinnies

And in prep for what lies ahead, read thru some of the resto threads:
Starcraft Rebuilds and Restorations, they're all here!

If you're looking for assistance, post up some more details:
In NW Florida, aluminum ~ Check!

Only an Islander project?

You want (need) a cuddy?

Would an 18ft'r do?

I/O or OB?

Good luck in your quest.

Watermann

Starmada Splash of the Year 2014

Waiting patiently... Funny how us boat headed nuts love it when others buy a new/old boat.

SnapperMassacre

Seaman Apprentice

Ive called....no answer...maybe he's out of town....looking to make him a offer, one that is closer to reality!!!:)