Should i be concerned??

Fisherball

Chief Petty Officer
Re: Should i be concerned??

Sometimes it's a matter of perception. I used to be the production manager of a heating company that did over 1,000 new homes a year. I stole 600 houses from a competitor because their production manager told the builder what he thought the builder wanted to hear instead of the truth. It started in a subdivision with about 300 homes being built over 2-3 years. The builder had two contractors for each trade, split evenly. Builder would call my comp & ask when he could do a certain house. My comp figured the builder wanted them there in 3 days. He knew his schedule said in 5 days. He'd tell builder 3 days & show up on the 5th day, 2 days late. Builder would call me & I knew he wanted 3 days but schedule said 5. I'd tell builder 6-7 days & do the work on the 5th day, 1-2 days early. We did the houses at the same rate but I was always early & my comp was always late based on the perception of the builder. Within 6 months my comp lost that subdivision because he was always late & I got the rest of the houses because I did them when I said I would or earlier. We took 2 more subdivisions from them & they never figured out why. BIG $$$$$!! Your mechanic is telling you what he thinks you want to hear. Sorry about the long story but scheduling production & dealing with customers is an exacting job & I find most don't do it correctly!

If I was in your situation I would become a friendly PITA to the guy. Show up frequently, all friendly & ask what stage the work is in. If production doesn't match what you were told, be kind of a prick. He'll finish quickly to get you to leave him alone.

twofourdee

Seaman Apprentice

Yeah im going to try and swing by there tommorrow.. wanted to the last 2 days but was unable to due to work and what not but ill see how it goes tommorrow and go from there i just hope i dont see anything out of place or anything suspicous.. And if i do they better hope im in a good mood!! But i usually am :D

JustJason

Vice Admiral

Poor business's over promise and under deliver on just about everything.
They think short term, and want the money now now now...

Good business's under promise, sometimes never promise, and then wow customers by over delivering.
They know that real, continuing cash flows take time to establish, and aren't afraid to put effort into something. It's really the difference between being a business's customer and being a business's client.

Bucks45

Petty Officer 1st Class

Poor business's over promise and under deliver on just about everything.
They think short term, and want the money now now now...

I agree 100%. We have a local garage that does good work at a decent price. I bought my son a Camaro knowing that it needed a transmission. Talked to the owner of the garage before I bought it and we worked out an agreement and price. He told me that he would have it about a week. A week turned into four before I got it back. I finally figured out that he had good intentions, but couldn't pass up the "easy", "instant" jobs. He needed the money from the quick jobs to keep his business going. I got to the point the last week that I showed up 2 or 3 times a day!!! He got my point and got the job done, but it was a total pain in the a@#. To his credit, I have not had an issue with the tranny in the 1 1/2 years since he did the work. I posted earlier to just show up. Do it and put some pressure on him. Don't announce that you're coming, but make it clear you want your boat. If you're not comfortable, take it and run.

RWilson2526

Master Chief Petty Officer
Re: Should i be concerend??

Re: Should i be concerend??

So, you lie to your customers alot then?

no its not alot and dont get all judgmental.....I was just advising him to not write him off just yet because of some BS'ing...although I did reread his post and had missed that he already lied to him about the original time and then the estimated time it would take and having started on the boat was possibly the 3rd time... that I would not consider acceptable.....

Usually the customers that get the bs'in are the same ones that tell you they have to have something by tomorrow....you jump through hoops to get it done and then you see the part/pieces sit there for a week . We fabricate high quaility work in a timely fashion and have a habit of making our customers look good to their superiors as they usually have not clue as to what they want or need to fix something....a little massaging here and there to keep everyone happy sometimes happens is all I'm saying.

paulspaddle

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Yeah im going to try and swing by there tommorrow.. wanted to the last 2 days but was unable to due to work and what not but ill see how it goes tommorrow and go from there i just hope i dont see anything out of place or anything suspicous.. And if i do they better hope im in a good mood!! But i usually am :D

Visit, know the FACTS....go from there. This is mostly speculation....man you guys jump quickly.

We worry most about things we don't know.

twofourdee

Seaman Apprentice

ok so i showed up there today and the boat was in a different spot today and noticed the l/u was pulled so i went in there and chatted for awhile and he still said it would be done prolly mid next week but they have got the engine in the boat.. also he was quick to want to show me the crack in the old block and what not.. so i guess i was worrying for nothing.. well not for nothing but its all looking good as far as i can tell.. it seemed he may have been pushing my boat to the side to do other things and im fine with that but like i said earlier just dont LIE to me... thats the main thing that threw up a red flag for me..

smokeonthewater

Fleet Admiral

those who don't jump quickly get screwed over...... You did exactly right..... Better to be proactive and polite than to wait for things to get ugly.... I'm glad it seems to be turning out well....

twofourdee

Seaman Apprentice

yes very true im glad i stopped up there instead of just thinking about it.. and i hope it all turns out for the best

paulspaddle

those who don't jump quickly get screwed over...... You did exactly right..... Better to be proactive and polite than to wait for things to get ugly.... I'm glad it seems to be turning out well....

I meant all this 'reacting' without going there and finding out for himself.

------------------

Glad you went, saw and talked to the guy....as I said, "we worry most about what we don't know." ....now you know.....sleep well tonight. ;)

twofourdee

Seaman Apprentice

Just wanted to thank all you guys for your replies.. I think it really helped in pushing me to actually go and check it out for myself.. And now i can sleep good paulspaddle lol :D

paulspaddle

I hope it works out for you!

.....don't forget to 'update'.;)

jmfrost

Seaman

Man, I'd have lost my mind if that happened to me.

I DID lose my mind. Spoke to an attorney, but he basically told me it was my own fault for not examining the engine before taking delivery and using a whole summer.

twofourdee

Seaman Apprentice

oohhh man id be super pissed and prolly go... well i wont say lol but yeah that would definitly suck and i dont totally understand why a place would do stuff like that i mean yeah maybe they get some easy cash out of it but at the same time they lose atleast one cusomer and a bad rap that is going to spread quickly just stupid.. Here's an update on mine.. My boat guy called me today and said he's got it running but the started took a crap so he's going to put a used one in and also suggested i let him put a spark arrestor or something on it cause i guess it had just an auto air filter on it and that if caught without it you could get a nice fine the way he explained it it definitly maid sense to me i also had him clean all the mildew off the inside of the boat and a quick was down of the outside.. i was going to have him do a gel resto job on the outside but didnt want to spend the extra $ on it and figured it would give me something to do along with save some $... what are good prices for getting detailing done this time of year? inside/outside.. just curious and wanna see if he gave me good prices or not

twofourdee

Seaman Apprentice

oh yeah he said i could pick it up tomorrow afternoon :)

redone4x4

Lieutenant Commander

detailing around here goes for a couple bucks a foot, depends on what exactly you want done to it though.

twofourdee

Seaman Apprentice

guess a lil info might help huh.. its on a 21' cuddy and inside mainly just a full detail job (had mildew on seats) and outside just curious what it would run for pretty much a resto on a slightly oxidized gel to get the boat back to a nice an good shine..

livin4real

Petty Officer 2nd Class

exterior detail here is $10 to $20 a ft

twofourdee

Seaman Apprentice

thanks guys and yeah im just gonna tackle the outside my self and hope it turns out good lol so i picked my boat up yesterday and he started it up for me and runs good but ill still have to get the carb redone i think to get her to run real smooth but everything looks good for the most part.. im not totally satisfied with the $200 interior detail job as he really only cleaned the mildew off the seats and what not and didnt do a GREAT job but it does look alot better then it did also initially he said he would charge me about $120 for a pair of used manifolds but then he said he was able to fix one of mine and ended up charging me $150 for ONLY one of the used manifolds but it was my stupidity not looking at the bill till after i had left so not a whole lot i could probably do now other then prevent him some future work cause my dad wants him to work on acouple of hes motors as well lol but it wasnt really over price to much on what it all should have totalled up to any way so im happy as long as the motor keeps running good and have no problems with it.. Also a quick question the break in process with a reman is it the same as a new motor?? Thanks