Shoestring Starcraft SS160 Resto-mod - let the long slow road begin

ShoestringMariner

Lieutenant Commander
Picked up another motor today. I had a 50 hp evinrude triple on it but I was using that one on my trottage boat last year. Had running issues I couldn’t sort out, so I pulled it for a poor running 70 I had kicking around for a future rebuild.

Todays motor grab was a 1989 60 hp evinrude. It’s no peach but it was in my budget. Compression is just ok at just around 100 on each. Not great but should be ok for another few seasons or until I fully rebuild a powerhead which I’ve been wanting to learn.

It came with the controller which I also needed and steering with a nice wheel.

Should it turn out to be junk, I’ll keep the carbs for an upgrade on my 50 and part either it or the 70 out. They have good lowers and working PTT’s

ShoestringMariner

Lieutenant Commander
Update:
Project is still mothballed. When I titled this thread, I had no idea just how accurate that would be. This spring, I went to war.
I was diagnosed with esophageal cancer. I thought I would be able to work on the boat in and around treatment, but I didn’t have it in me.
I’m now 8 weeks out from surgery and still haven’t touched it due to recovery issues. THE GREAT NEWS is that we kicked that B*^%^ to the curb!
that they got all the cancer out and no detectable spread!! I am so grateful to God, my surgeon, doctors and medical team and family and friends. I’m so fortunate to have a second chance and I’m truly elated.

And now I’m back n my feet trying to enjoy whatever good weather exists at my trailer for the rest of the season. My beater bowrider’s fuel lines just shat the bed and that will be this weeks project…still a month of boating left.

But looking forward to building my dash and starting on the wiring. I have concerns about the rocker switch assembly I bought being junk. A Facebook poster said it was absolute trash and I want to pick up a quality one. Please see the pic. Any suggestions on the same thing in a reliable product?

Second question; because I may not be able to lay on my side or swim around the floor on my back for long (new stomach and esophagus geometry may prevent it due to burning reflux) I was thinking of making full wiring harnesses on the bench. (Fore and aft harnesses) all wired to the dash.
Any suggestions on measuring this closely? I’d like to do all the end connections on the bench and I don’t want be short or too long. I’d like a clean unsloppy wiring job

thanks in advance
SSM

Attachments

• 50B2E2BA-7BAF-40FA-8ED9-DED1D377D87D.jpeg
    50B2E2BA-7BAF-40FA-8ED9-DED1D377D87D.jpeg
    168.5 KB · Views: 1

ShoestringMariner

Lieutenant Commander
Wondering if blue sea switches are better. This one claims it’s waterproof

Attachments

• 4A6E128F-2C40-4274-ACFA-E760BF64186E.jpeg
    4A6E128F-2C40-4274-ACFA-E760BF64186E.jpeg
    71.2 KB · Views: 2

ShoestringMariner

Lieutenant Commander
Glad to hear you didn't go down when you got that sucker punch to the gut, always admire those who stay on their feet and stand ready to fight.
thanks it was a real kick to the boys but you have to keep positive and fight or the alternative doesn’t look very good.
Any thoughts on the switch type that I bought? Have you used these before with reliability?

Moserkr

Chief Officer + Starmada Splash Of The Year 2021
Glad you fought and won SM! Cancer is a real $&@?!. Ive lost far too many friends and family to it. Enjoy every day you can.

As far as the switches go, mine sure arent waterproof haha. But they are "protected" by a bimini and hide behind the windshield on the dash. My fuse box is from blue sea - nice equipment but not waterproof by any means, and resides under the console. Id only worry about waterproof if you arent a fair weather boater. Takes a lot to truly waterproof an electrical system.

As for wiring, most of it can be done sitting up in the boat, depending on where you have the fuse box and control panel. Ive never done a wiring harness outside a project then installed it but im sure it can be done by looking closely at it while measuring wire.

ShoestringMariner

Lieutenant Commander
Glad you fought and won SM! Cancer is a real $&@?!. Ive lost far too many friends and family to it. Enjoy every day you can.

As far as the switches go, mine sure arent waterproof haha. But they are "protected" by a bimini and hide behind the windshield on the dash. My fuse box is from blue sea - nice equipment but not waterproof by any means, and resides under the console. Id only worry about waterproof if you arent a fair weather boater. Takes a lot to truly waterproof an electrical system.

As for wiring, most of it can be done sitting up in the boat, depending on where you have the fuse box and control panel. Ive never done a wiring harness outside a project then installed it but im sure it can be done by looking closely at it while measuring wire.

Thanks Moserkr, I’m trying to do just that. Not many of us know our expiry date, but the look at my mortality has me making changes in my life to not only enjoy but do everything I can to prolong it. There are many people who survive this long term and I intend to be in that group.

Getting this boat done just moved up high in my non health related priorities.

This will be a fairweather boat. The only rain it should see is without sudden warning so I’m wondering if I’m overthinking this. My reluctance is that I want to build a nice dash that I don’t have to hack up later because the switches failed. Or simply the nuisance of switches that don’t work when you need them.

I’ve got to have this thing in the water next year, time to get moving! Gotta enjoy this life and this boat is part of those plans!

Moserkr

Time on the water is definitely good for your health! I reused my PO's switches and wish I didnt in the nice mahogany dash I built - either panel you showed is way nicer than mine. Buy a common sized switch panel thats of decent quality and go for it. Even cheap ones should function for quite a while since it's a simple mechanism.

Watermann

Starmada Splash of the Year 2014
thanks it was a real kick to the boys but you have to keep positive and fight or the alternative doesn’t look very good.
Any thoughts on the switch type that I bought? Have you used these before with reliability?

No I've not tried those switches. I opted for the old tried and true rockers that can be replaced easily from a parts house. I have the

SeaSense Marine 5 Way Switch Panel​

61xnslNe+NS._AC_SL1200_.jpg

ShoestringMariner

Lieutenant Commander
No I've not tried those switches. I opted for the old tried and true rockers that can be replaced easily from a parts house. I have the

SeaSense Marine 5 Way Switch Panel​

View attachment 389850
Thanks, I considered those. Never considered the parts house replavmcements but that’s a great idea. I doubt I can do that with mine. I got caught up wanting the rocker look and lights.

ShoestringMariner

Lieutenant Commander
And the whole winter passed me by without doing anything on the boat. I mothballed it under an A frame tent for the winter and focussed on rearranging the garage so mamas new car could fit inside for the snowy months. That and misc home Reno’s that never got completed.

So, back to the boat bench. I’m switching over to a rotary steering box from the rack and pinion type it had. IIRC, the rack and pinion had a bit of play in it but worked fine otherwise. I have believe it or not, about 4 or 5 rotary steering boxes to choose from out of a bunch of boats I parted out. Anything to know about rotary systems? They all look similar, wondering how to pick the best out of the lot.
Starting my dash build this week or next if I can stay on task. Dealing with a pneumonia that’s reluctant to leave and has me dragging my butt.

SHSU

Lieutenant Junior+Starmada Splash Of The Year 2019
We went from a rack and pinion to rotary too. As for any tips, just get the measurement right. We went with Sea Star and only issue has been it getting stiff at the motor. The steering tube gets junked up and makes it hard to turn. Don't think that is on Sea Star but more on the old motor and environment we use our boat in.

SHSU

ShoestringMariner

Lieutenant Commander
We went from a rack and pinion to rotary too. As for any tips, just get the measurement right. We went with Sea Star and only issue has been it getting stiff at the motor. The steering tube gets junked up and makes it hard to turn. Don't think that is on Sea Star but more on the old motor and environment we use our boat in.

SHSU
Thanks, with the measurement, you’re referring to the length of the cable from the steering box to the motor connection?

Any thoughts on lubricating these systems? All of them are used, age unknown. I’m hoping lengths will work out.

SHSU

Lieutenant Junior+Starmada Splash Of The Year 2019
Thanks, with the measurement, you’re referring to the length of the cable from the steering box to the motor connection?
Yep, depending on how much room/slack you want in your system. Shouldn't affect steering, just aesthetics/space.

Any thoughts on lubricating these systems? All of them are used, age unknown. I’m hoping lengths will work out.
I initially tried marine grease to lube mine, but found it was what was gunking up my system. I have since switched to WD40 to clean out and lube. Maybe a lighter grease would be better as the marine grease seems heavy compared to what came in the system.

SHSU

Moserkr

Just a random thought @SHSU about grease and wd40. Ive been putting synthetic gun oil on everything possible lately, so if wd40 works, Id bet the syn gun oil would be even better. Clean it out with wd40 still, but worth a shot. Doesnt gunk up from gun powder, works in all weather conditions, goes on thin and lasts a long time. If you try it, let me know how it works!

BOYS & TOYS

Petty Officer 2nd Class
And the whole winter passed me by without doing anything on the boat. I mothballed it under an A frame tent for the winter and focussed on rearranging the garage so mamas new car could fit inside for the snowy months. That and misc home Reno’s that never got completed.

So, back to the boat bench. I’m switching over to a rotary steering box from the rack and pinion type it had. IIRC, the rack and pinion had a bit of play in it but worked fine otherwise. I have believe it or not, about 4 or 5 rotary steering boxes to choose from out of a bunch of boats I parted out. Anything to know about rotary systems? They all look similar, wondering how to pick the best out of the lot.
Starting my dash build this week or next if I can stay on task. Dealing with a pneumonia that’s reluctant to leave and has me dragging my butt.
I prefer the no feedback helm units. Also not impressed with the xtreme systems number of turns from lock to lock. The cable has very little free play but docking can give your arms a work out.
Look for a helm with the newer quick connect where the cable attaches.

ShoestringMariner

Lieutenant Commander
I prefer the no feedback helm units. Also not impressed with the xtreme systems number of turns from lock to lock. The cable has very little free play but docking can give your arms a work out.
Look for a helm with the newer quick connect where the cable attaches.
I believe that’s what these rotary gearboxes are?
At least they look the same one. I look it up online.

Actually, if I’m not mistaken, one of them even says it on the housing. that’s the one I will use