Sewing Machines

Status
Not open for further replies.

Amunet

Cadet
Hello

I found an old thread on here about sewing machines for interior work and wanted to make sure what to look for when buying a used one.

• Industrial/Professional are best
  • Direct motor for more punching power
Is that it?

Drivewayboater2

Petty Officer 1st Class
I’m in the process of redoing my seats. Using a standard semi professional surger sewing machine (left over from mother in law). Use at least a size 14 needle. Set the needle stitch length at 4. If you have a Teflon foot it helps but not critical. Set machine on slow Speed. Vinyl is relatively easy to work with. I did tons of tests on scrap pieces to get the feel of the machine.
depending on how much work you’re doing you may not need to spend the money on a pro machine.
Good luck

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner
I bought a Janome HD-3000 sewing machine recently. It will sew 6 layers of marine vinyl, and was $400 or so. Much better price than the professional machines, which are $1500 or more. I only do my own work, so the cheaper machine was fine.

My grandmothers 1942 Singer factory machine was a bit more powerful than the Janome, but a flood ruined it. Those are widely avail on the internet, but buying a used machine from the 40s worried me.

Amunet

Cadet
Thank you both. I will reply in full after I get some rest. Just got back from picking up our new-to-us boat :)

tpenfield

Staff member
Others may be along with some advice. Here is my advice . . .

Interior work as in boat upholstery? . . . . Look for a machine that has "Walking Foot" and "Compound Feed" (aka needle feed).

Not all industrial machines will have these features, so be careful in searching for a machine. I got a Consew 206RB-4 off of Craigslist for $500

img_3456-jpg.306100

There are 2 types of motors, typical of industrial machines:

- Clutch Motors
- Servo Motors

You will want a servo motor, but many used machines won't have that. The motors are easily replaced and cost around $120 for a servo motor.

Here are a couple iBoats threads of mine about finding a machine and doing the upholstery . . .

https://forums.iboats.com/threads/diy-upholstery-canvas-repair-advice.726280/

https://forums.iboats.com/threads/time-to-re-upholster-formula-330-ss.727103/

Last edited:

72fj40

Petty Officer 2nd Class
When I was doing research on this site and others, I found at a minimum you want a machine with reverse and a walking foot, a compound walking foot is even better. You also need to find a machine that can handle the proper size thread and needle for the work your doing and how much material you can fit under the foot. A lot of industrial machines are made for speed and lighter materials. I picked up an old Consew 18/Singer 16-188, which is an industrial style machine made for heavier material.
. I eventually bought a servo motor to slow things down and gave me more control. You'll find most older machines are knockoffs of Singer machines and most parts are interchangable. From my research the machine tpenfield has is an awesome machine.

Amunet

Cadet
Mmkay, so would something like these work? I don't think any are clutch.

Singer Professional
EC52F194-1DCA-44EA-99BF-79311DE883F0-8918-000001A630CDEBEF.jpg
OR
Lewis Industrial Sewing Machine Model 150-5
4D5042B3-531C-4C4D-998C-B1024240B88D-8918-000001A772978A2B.jpg
Guess the motor is under the table on this one

tpenfield

Staff member
No motor with the Singer . . . what model is it?

The Lewis is for shirt cuffs and collars, and other small stuff. Not sure you are even in the ballpark yet. Keep looking, particularly see if you can find one of the following machines . . .

Consew
206RB

Juki

Singer

Highlead
GC0618-1-SC

Chandler/Adler

Sailrite
'Fabricator' (which is a newer version of the 111)

Last edited:

Amunet

Cadet
Oooooh looks like the Singer is a clutch motor, so nope.

Thank you so much tpenfield! It's so confusing for me when industrial machines are involved.

tpenfield

Staff member
Just remember, the industrial machines do not have the motor inside them. The motors are typically separate and located below the sewing table. Most older machines for sale at reasonable prices are going to have a clutch motor, so you may be buying a servo motor to replace it.

If you want, you can PM me your location and I could recommend any suitable machines on CL in your area.

tpenfield

Staff member
The singer looks to be the model # 331K105, which has both top and bottom foot feed, but not a needle/compound feed. No motor or table shown in the picture though . . .

Amunet

Cadet
Just remember, the industrial machines do not have the motor inside them. The motors are typically separate and located below the sewing table. Most older machines for sale at reasonable prices are going to have a clutch motor, so you may be buying a servo motor to replace it.

If you want, you can PM me your location and I could recommend any suitable machines on CL in your area.
Okay, yeah, I will message you.

Thank you so much!

78 Thompson

Seaman
Others may be along with some advice. Here is my advice . . .

Interior work as in boat upholstery? . . . . Look for a machine that has "Walking Foot" and "Compound Feed" (aka needle feed).

Not all industrial machines will have these features, so be careful in searching for a machine. I got a Consew 206RB-4 off of Craigslist for $500

img_3456-jpg.306100

There are 2 types of motors, typical of industrial machines:

- Clutch Motors
- Servo Motors

You will want a servo motor, but many used machines won't have that. The motors are easily replaced and cost around $120 for a servo motor.

Here are a couple iBoats threads of mine about finding a machine and doing the upholstery . . .

https://forums.iboats.com/threads/diy-upholstery-canvas-repair-advice.726280/

https://forums.iboats.com/threads/time-to-re-upholster-formula-330-ss.727103/
Is the clutch motor still variable speed then, or are they just on and off?
The servo motor is always variable speed right?

froggy1150

Master Chief Petty Officer
You can control speed with a clutch. Its tricky. Just like feathering a clutch on a stick shift... just a real sensitive one that wants to grab and go. Servo is easy to control

tpenfield

Staff member
One thing you can do with a clutch motor (or even a servo motor) is 'gear reduction' by changing out the pulleys on the machine and motor. There are also add-on pulley mechanisms (aka 'Speed Reducer') to reduce the gear ratio further.

I did that originally with my machine when it still had a clutch motor, reducing the speed by about 1/2, but it still was a bit fast once the clutch grabbed.

Since servo motors are not very expensive, it is the better way to go IMO. I also kept the gear reduction when I got the servo motor, which really helps for stitching difficult areas, such as tight curves.

78 Thompson

Seaman
I’m looking at a Singer 211 G 157 on marketplace and the guy doesn’t know if it’s a clutch or servo. He said it’s got a pedal so it is variable speed, does that mean anything?

Status
Not open for further replies.