self etching primer vs zinc chromate

reelfishin

Captain
Re: self etching primer vs zinc chromate

When ever I need to paint or repaint a lower unit, motor, or any aluminum I use Duplicolor Self Etching primer on any bare aluminum.
I sand down the old paint, prime any bare areas with the Duplicolor SE primer, scuff, and paint with the final color. I've done whole boats, lower units, and complete motors with good results.
There is nothing wrong with the Rustoleum brand paints, they even make a marine grade enamels. For the most part I use MAB RustOlastic, which is very similar to Rustoleum, I just have a better source for MAB.

Don't attempt to spray self etching primer over any existing paint as it will lift or etch the old paint. Its solely meant for bare metal. I lightly scuff the primer with a Scotchbrite pad and wipe with a tack cloth. Then paint.
The ticket to getting good adhesion is to be 100% everything is clean.
Do a search for water break test. If you wet the surface to be painted and water rolls off or beads, it's not clean enough. Water should 'wet' the surface to be painted, not run off.
This is 90% of the battle to getting paint to adhere properly. If the surface is not clean, no paint will adhere properly.

When it comes to Black or White paint, I've actually had good luck with the $1.00 per can paint at Walmart. I first found out how stubborn that stuff is to remove at work after trying to strip it off of an aluminum transmission case. The customer painted the trans all black, dirt and all. Even the high pressure high temp parts washer didn't phase it. For whatever reason, that paint adheres very well even to bare aluminum. I think in part its due to how thin it is and it may be actually soaking into the metal like a dye. I painted my 40hp Mercury with it about two years ago, the motor was showing it's green primer so I figured anything was better than no paint at all and I went to town with two cans of Walmart black enamel. It still looks good 2 years later.

boater1234

Master Chief Petty Officer

Sounds good reelfishin,but i will stick to the factory paint for $6 or $7 a can.I'm going with a light dust coat of zc as i did more reasearch on zc or any type of self etching primer and the problen is when people try to put it on to thick is when the problems start.If you apply the right amout of zc or self etching then there is no need to sand as there will be no orange peel effect when you paint over it.My problem was i tried to put everything on to thick and thats were the probs started for me.

Thats kind of funny with the walmart paint to and i don't doubt you a bit about how hard it was to take off.As long as i take my time this go around it will come out nice.The research i read said if for some reason you do put the primer on to thick it can be sanded but if applied right there will be no need to do so.I'm going to take before and after pics so people can judge how good or bad i did.I found a decal place for my new decals which will be down the road.Tom i will paint the whole motor and the cowl and or hood of the motor.I may even go a different color on the hood just for kicks.I may do it pink for breast cancer as my wifes mom died last yr from it.I think that would look pretty cool to me anyway.I may just go with another color to who knows.

Can anyone give me some suggestions on what color would go good with the black on a hood of a 15hp merc.I just want to do something different then just plain old black on the whole motor.I don't want camo either.I just don't know what would look best on it.There was a all pink boat that alumacraft was selling for breast cancer and man it was one of the sweetest boats i have ever seen.But i also like yellow and red on the hood i guess i just need to color on a piece of paper to see what it would look like.

kilowatts

Petty Officer 1st Class

Hi Guys:

Thanks for posting your thread. It's funny not many people (including me) fess up to making mistakes when they paint, eh? Many times I've done exactly what you did, too much, too soon! I think as a general rule of thumb for us "shade tree painters" little by little should be the watchword. If possible, err on the side of too little paint. You can always put more on but it's very hard to take off, witness the bleeding fingers! Good luck.

kilowatts