Secret trout bait

Cofe

Lieutenant Commander
Re: Secret trout bait

Yea! Yea! What did I win???!!!:D:D

Free Stinkbait? Whopper and Frys???

Brain Volt 7, that combination has worked well here also. My neighbor told me about it, so the Secret is out.....Thanks for the post:rolleyes:

brianvolt7

Chief Petty Officer

The first time I used this was in Oregon where I am from. I was an avid steelheader and I would go out to Florence and pump sand shrimp at low tide then hit the rivers. I figured that planters would like shrimp just as their big brothers did. The rest is history.
One other thing I do when things slow is to use shrimp or garlic scent on this rig.

ngt

Master Chief Petty Officer

Hope some of you use it this weekend and report back, I will be going out tomorrow morning, I will let everyone know how I faired.

i'll give it a shot in the morning at the local stocked lake.

jwp

Cadet

I've had good success with pop corn left over from the campfire the night
before :)

brianvolt7

Chief Petty Officer

FISH ON

As I expected, I slammed them. Got there at 5:45, first fish with the first cast.

Started realing them in over and over and a guy up the bank, who wasnt getting even a bite, yelled down to ask what I was using. I politely replied "just power bait". Of course I dont want the secret out where I fish.

I was done at 6:15 (5 fish) and he quickly moved into my spot (with an empty stringer).

Now back to work trying to get my boat started:(

ngt

FISH ON

As I expected, I slammed them. Got there at 5:45, first fish with the first cast.

Started realing them in over and over and a guy up the bank, who wasnt getting even a bite, yelled down to ask what I was using. I politely replied "just power bait". Of course I dont want the secret out where I fish.

I was done at 6:15 (5 fish) and he quickly moved into my spot (with an empty stringer).

Now back to work trying to get my boat started:(

I want to come fish there then, lol. I went out to the freshly stocked local lake at around 6:15. One pole out with your setup, and one with a similar setup, but just power bait only (that's the normal setup here, but a longer leader). I got nothing with the shrimp one and caught 3 with the plain power bait. So I switched poles/spots and still nothing on the shrimp. Caught 2 more on the plain power bait and left with my 5 around 9:30. I'm going back tomorrow, since this was the last stock of the season.

RicMic

Chief Petty Officer

I hate to even think,"shrimp and marshmallow sandwich", I'd end up having to try it myself! What kind of bread do you think?
On the subject of body parts, I knew a guy that caught a catfish on his own heart valve! He had the doctor save it after his surgery, now thats hardcore!

brianvolt7

Chief Petty Officer

Well thats a bummer that it did not work for you. Once they get use to the power bait and stop biting, try it again. Trust me it really does work. I am taking the family to Ice House in the Sierras, 45 min. from my house tomorrow. I will let everyone know how I did.

sprintst

Commander

I need a break from work so I'll try it in a week. I'm also going to try the funky velveeta cheese and marshmallows combo.

brianvolt7

Chief Petty Officer

Growing up in Oregon, the local stocked ponds would be fished exclusively with velveta and a cheese hook. I have not tried it for years since power bait came out. Ice house is tough fishing so I am going to pick some up on the way out.

Also I have had great luck drifting in the wind in the boat with a night crawler on a number 8 or 6 with shrimp or garlic juice applied. Dropped to the bottom and cranked up 5 turns.

elkhunter338

Please with minnows do not introduce a none native species to the lake. Hear in Oregon we have had several lakes ruined by people fishing live minnows. The chubs overrun the lake and ruin the rainbow trout fishing. Another guy put bass in a great rainbow lake and now it is not such a good rainbow lake anymore.

brianvolt7

Chief Petty Officer

Yes I agree elkhunter. I spent most of my life in Oregon, only been in Cal for 3 years. Chub is a huge problem where I was raised.

I use to bow hunt in your neck of the woods, beautiful country!

older

Banned

My GF and I were in the Sierras last month and were struggling to catch anything one particular morning as were most others on the bank. Three older gentlemen set up shop next to us and all three quickly limited out in less than an hour while we had three on a stringer between the two of us. They were kind enough to show us their setup and explained how they used it.

I won't give it away as we'll be trying it on our next trip to the Sierras this month but it involves night crawlers which we had also. They just used them with a different hook and method. I'll remember your setup in case these trout like shrimp better!

brianvolt7

Chief Petty Officer

older,

You may be in my neck of the woods. I fish Ice House, Union Valley, Stumpy Meadows and Tahoe.

Hope you do good, I'm heading out in the morning to a lake in Pollock Pines.

older

Banned

older,

You may be in my neck of the woods. I fish Ice House, Union Valley, Stumpy Meadows and Tahoe.

Hope you do good, I'm heading out in the morning to a lake in Pollock Pines.

We visit the Mammoth, Bishop and Lee Vining areas every trout season. We rough it by renting a condo. ;)