Secret trout bait

brianvolt7

Chief Petty Officer
Re: Secret trout bait

We visit the Mammoth, Bishop and Lee Vining areas every trout season. We rough it by renting a condo. ;)

We rent a house once a year in Tahoe or Big Pine Key Florida. These are allways the best fishing trips. Can't get my wife to stay in a tent.

PiratePast40

Lieutenant Commander

Please with minnows do not introduce a none native species to the lake. Hear in Oregon we have had several lakes ruined by people fishing live minnows. The chubs overrun the lake and ruin the rainbow trout fishing. Another guy put bass in a great rainbow lake and now it is not such a good rainbow lake anymore.

YES - this is a big problem. Chub are getting very annoying up at East Lake. Reports from Diamond Lake are good after having to poison the lake about 5 years ago.

aspeck

Staff member

I used to enjoy going after the "just stocked" trout in our local lakes and streams, but it lost the excitement when I could consistantly catch 20 - 30 in a couple of hours. It also didn't take me long to know that the stocked trout just do not taste the same, the meat is much softer and not as flavorful as the nice, firm, pink meat of a native, or stocked but made it for a year or so, trout.

I don't fish stocked places for a least 3 weeks after the stocking ... I like having the place to myself and working for the more native and not so dumb fish.

I also have some secret weapons, but it depends on the type of trout that I am focusing on at the time. Rainbow are the easiest with salmon eggs, or corn, or cheese, or night crawlers. For brooks and browns you need to be a little more finess oriented. I like a special minnow rig where I use a double hook and run line down the mouth and out the anus, attaching the hook at this time and pulling it back up through the minnow till it has a little kink in it. You MUST have a double swivel for this setup because what makes it so deadly is the minnow spins like crazy with the kink in it. The spinning minnow drives the brookies and browns CRAZY (most rainbow don't give it a second look).

brianvolt7

Chief Petty Officer

I use to fish brookies in the Ermabells in Oregon. Used a full night crawler puffed up with air. They ranged 15" to 18", limit two. about a mile or so hike in. Also would go to hidden lake by Cougar reservoir, hike up the stream in the snow to the lake. 10"-12" natural reproducing brook, brown and dollies. Excellent flavor on the wilds!

Here is the lates fishing trip with my fishin buddy!
Spring 2010- Easter, Nevins move, fishing, memorial day, dyer 036.jpg

brianvolt7

Chief Petty Officer

piratepast,

The stringer of fish that I am holding in the top of my posts are from Diamond, smallest one was 15 inches and one just a hair under 20.

mike64

Lieutenant Junior Grade

mmm... shrimp & garlic. I think that's how my wife hooked me :D