Seat belts

Realgun

Commander
Re: Seat belts

Every time I get in the Car/Truck/Van.<br /><br />Some people believe they are invicable or that seatbelts could kill them. Wrong. If worn properly they wil save your life. <br /><br /><br />Have a nice day. :)

achris

More fish than mountain goat

law here, and has been for over 30 years. If I don't put my belt on, I feel as if something is wrong (which it is).

Formula1974

Petty Officer 1st Class

I said yes but it isnt always true. When I get in the car I put mine on before I start the car but say I forgot something or I get out to grab the mail at the end of the driveway or I stop for gas or something I find myseld not remembering to put it back on. Its kindof a strange habit I have.

62_Kiwi

Lieutenant Junior Grade

It's law here too...but it seems like every week there are people just dying to prove the point. This one from the weekend just past;<br /><br /> http://www.nzherald.co.nz/index.cfm?c_id=1&ObjectID=10128178 <br /><br />
<br /> <br />A car accident that killed six people has sent shockwaves along the East Coast and left police shaking their heads over the failure of any of the victims to wear a seatbelt. <br /><br />The six died when their car left State Highway 35 near Ruatoria and smashed into a tree about 6.45am on Saturday. <br /><br />....<br /><br />"A seatbelt doesn't guarantee you will survive a serious crash but wearing a seatbelt at least gives you a chance to survive," said Land Transport New Zealand spokesman Andy Knackstedt. <br /><br />"If you don't have a seatbelt on, your chances are virtually nil." <br />

Bassy

Lieutenant Commander

Most of the time. There are days I just seem in a hurry and get halfway to where I'm going and remember to put it on. I don't know what that is. Oh well.<br />Bassy

bubbakat

Captain

Wear mine all the time now. I worked a wreck early one morning and the driver wasn't wearing his and passenger was. The turn over ejected the driver and mashed his head flat when the truck rolled over him and the passenger wasn't even hurt.

demsvmejm

Master Chief Petty Officer

I feel naked without mine. Kinda funny when I'm in my boat or on my motorcycle.<br />When I was 16, I rolled my car side-for-side three times and was airborn at least once. I felt the seatbelt as I came down and rolled over, and over. If I wasn't wearing it, I wouldn't be here to type this today. And it's the law here too.<br />Irritating to have a Sheriff's Deputy ejected from a patrol car and killed when the car rolled over on him. To save face the department charged the officer who was driving. Granted he was travelling 75-85mph in a 45mph zone, but the officer's death was the only reason the driver was held accountable. Oh, to be above the law, like the local law enforcement officers feel they are.

Moody Blue

Captain

Never without one. Anyone who rides with me has one on too. Was in a wreck 18yrs ago where the car rolled several times. I was severely bruised from the straps and cut from broken glass but I was kept IN the car. More than I can say for the crushed camping cooler pinned under the roof of the car.<br /><br />Saw a demonstration recently where a car is mounted on a large rotiserie like machine. Full sized dummies are place in the drivers and rear passenger seats and the car is then spun to simulate a roll-over. A high speed camera records what happens inside the car. One word describes it.....horrific !!! If that doesn't convince people to wear a belt nothing will.

fixin

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Most of the time....Seems I don't put it on till I'm half-way to were I'm going.

mikecjn

Petty Officer 1st Class

I do the majority of the time. Got into the habit while in the military.

Vlad D Impeller

Commander

If you don't wear your seatbelt and make sure that any of your passengers wear a seatbelt, you're not just breaking the law, you are engaging in reckless stupidity, the consequences would be devastating if not severe should you be involved in an accident.

Skinnywater

Commander

Of course, it's the law.<br />It's also sensible and safe.<br /><br />However, this law is precedent. And it targets individual freedom and will be the basis to attack more. It is completely against core American principals and ranks among the most despicable in nature.

aspeck

Staff member

I engage in reckless stupidity all the time. As said in another thread, I would be dead today if I wore a seat belt, and working with EMS, I see about 50/50 were seatbelts have or would have helped, and where not wearing them helped, or would have helped. In fact, most of my EMS team doesn't buckle up because of things we have seen.

Fly Rod

Commander

:) "NEVER"!!!!!!!!! <br /><br />In Mass. it is not mandatory yet!!!!<br /><br />And in all the other states that do have the law, if there was not a fine attached to not wearing one ,they would not pull you over!!!!<br /><br />Only another way for cities, towns and the state to make money!!!!<br /><br />When they say it isn't about money,!!! It's always about money!!!!! ;) :cool:

tcube

Petty Officer 1st Class

Don't care if it's law or not - I never drive/ride in a car/truck w/out seatbelt fastened. No one rides in my car/truck w/out seatbelt fastened. Now if I would get in the habit of wearing PFDs while boating I'd be a lot smarter.