Sea water pump

ranger481vs

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I just removed my sea water pump to replace the impeller. First time doing this, in general. I have a couple of questions. My housing is metal. The rings on the inside look machined to me, but just want to make sure there's no visible issues with the housing before reassembly.

Also, the seal behind the pulley isn't seated correctly. You can see the snap ring, but based on the parts diagram, there should be a tolerance ring, which I could not see. I could use some advice on repairing this correctly. Thanks!

Attachments

• Housing.jpg
    Housing.jpg
    155.8 KB · Views: 21
  • Seal.jpg
    Seal.jpg
    86.8 KB · Views: 21

alldodge

Staff member
I like it, and looks like the bearings a sealed so no need for grease

Also he notes that using just a automotive pulley remover/installer is all you need, but he used a press.

alldodge

Staff member
What you could do is disassemble the pump before buying parts. Could be it just needs a new seal and not shaft and bearings. Thinking the seal should not have come out unless there is a problem, so probably needs them but always good to check

ranger481vs

Petty Officer 2nd Class
What you could do is disassemble the pump before buying parts. Could be it just needs a new seal and not shaft and bearings. Thinking the seal should not have come out unless there is a problem, so probably needs them but always good to check
Great. Thanks again. Very glad I decide to tackle while ice is still on the lakes

ranger481vs

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I haven't had a chance to pull apart the pump yet, but in the meantime,
I am having trouble finding a kit that contains an inner wear plate.

Alldodge, the Hardin link you posted said that kit is not for the OEM pumps, which is what I have. Also, since I need an inner wear plate, I assume whatever kit I get will need come with a slightly narrower impeller to account for the inner plate thickness, correct?

alldodge

Staff member
Thanks
I don't want to put other vendor links here, but enter
"mercruiser gen 7 sea water pump rebuild kit" in google and it will come up with a list. There is a place called amarket and marine-496pump and couple others which have the kit

The searay link you have also has the part number for the shaft and bearings
8M0050018

ranger481vs

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Thanks
I don't want to put other vendor links here, but enter
"mercruiser gen 7 sea water pump rebuild kit" in google and it will come up with a list. There is a place called amarket and marine-496pump and couple others which have the kit

The searay link you have also has the part number for the shaft and bearings
8M0050018
Ok, thanks again, alldodge.

I tried to remove the pulley today with a neighbor who has all sorts of auto tools. His pulley tool clipped at 3 points around the outside, but we weren't able to get the pulley to budge at all. Is there a special puller needed, like the one that grips around center flange of the pulley or in there something we might not be doing right?

Attachments

• Pulley.jpg
    Pulley.jpg
    72.4 KB · Views: 2

ranger481vs

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Update: I rented a puller from Autozone, and got everything apart. Bearings were definitely shot, so I've ordered the rebuild kit and the bearing shaft assembly. Just a couple more questions below

I won't be firing up the engine for another couple of months, so just want to make sure there's no issues with reassembling and installing now? I'm planning to test the pump with a drill and water bucket before installing, like the video below.

Also, Is there anything in particular that I need to do differently the first time I start the engine later this spring?

alldodge

Staff member
No issue with installing now other then a slight set in the impeller blades. The small amount of set is normally never an issue.

Nothing special for restart, just have muffs on with water valve full force ON so impeller does go dry