Sea/Lake Food

FLATHEAD

Captain
More then 10 years ago I bought a case of snow crab from a hotel friend and it was cheap, maybe $30. It came from Sysco and have always wondered if a group can find a in to buy from them
Probably not real easy. My wife is an account executive at a major national food distributor. I ran your idea past her. Her company would want to see a legitimate business that could fill out a credit app, and be approved. Even then you’ll get street pricing. Often times places like Sams and Costco are cheaper than street pricing on some food items. To really get the deals you need to be part of a big buyers group, which is a whole different ball game.
I can tell you occasionally they clear out certain items In the warehouse and cold storage that are near expired and give employees almost giveaway pricing. My freezer at home is always stocked with some really good beef.

alldodge

Staff member
Admiral stopped by save a lot and found T-bones for 2.99LB, picked up 2 packages. I'm making chili and need ground beef, but just cant make my self do it. So I'm using some 4.99LB GB.

Attachments

• 20231129_143418.jpg
    20231129_143418.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 3

sangerwaker

Commander
LOL. Sometimes pricing just doesn't make sense. I've used more usually expensive cuts in my chili because they were less than ground beef. Not sure I could do it with a T bone either. :)

Last edited:

FLATHEAD

Captain
Sometimes those bargin cuts are more suitable for boot leather than eating. You might wish you cut them up and dropped them in the chili😜

alldodge

Staff member
Sometimes those bargin cuts are more suitable for boot leather than eating. You might wish you cut them up and dropped them in the chili😜
Don't know about save a lot but have gotten the same type cuts at IGA grocery and they were good. Normally by a whole boneless rib eye on sale around 6.99 Lb and cut and trim my self

BWR1953

Admiral
Admiral stopped by save a lot and found T-bones for 2.99LB, picked up 2 packages. I'm making chili and need ground beef, but just cant make my self do it. So I'm using some 4.99LB GB.
Excellent deal!

The best chili I ever had was Carroll Shelby's Texas chili. Still available now. Comes in a little paper bag. I can't eat it anymore though. Too tough on my tummy. :sneaky:

alldodge

Staff member
Carroll Shelby's Texas chili
Might have to try that some time. Mom used Bloemer's chili base to start with and that's what I've used forever. That's just the starter, then I add in all kinds of stuff to make it like I want

KJM

Lieutenant Junior Grade
No way I would grind those steaks for chili!

KJM

Lieutenant Junior Grade
I have lots of frozen cod in the deep freeze, but as someone said above, once its frozen it just ain't as good! Having fried rabbit and gravy here tonight, sipping on a cold one while I cook. Ain't complaining!

alldodge

Staff member
I have lots of frozen cod in the deep freeze, but as someone said above, once its frozen it just ain't as good! Having fried rabbit and gravy here tonight, sipping on a cold one while I cook. Ain't complaining!
Nor would I (y)

redneck joe

Supreme Mariner
Had rabbit stew made by our russian grandma neighbor, plus she did home made bread and double yolk egg noodles. Good horrible, was amazing

alldodge

Staff member
Opened the packages up and started to vuc-u-seal them and one package 2 of the steaks had some green on a couple of them. Had a light but bad smell to it. So oh well, when in doubt trow it out. The other package was fine but so the 2.99 went to about 5.50 lb. The second package had smaller steaks

Label listed sell by Dec 3

First time ever getting meat that I had to toss

WIMUSKY

Staff member
Lakes are bad everywhere, even in N Mn where one would think should be fine. Mercury from Canadian factories. Except for panfish, the recommendation is one meal a week. Pretty sad.
As for bass, ya, cook em like most freshwater fish. I like to coat the fillets and bake. I know they're excellent in winter...

topgun3690

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Lakes are bad everywhere, even in N Mn where one would think should be fine. Mercury from Canadian factories. Except for panfish, the recommendation is one meal a week. Pretty sad.
Same here.....the Texas Fish Consumption Bans and Advisories section of the TPWD is a pretty sobering read....Mercury, dioxins, and PCBs.....

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
FWC plants bass in each of the water run-off ponds down here. because everyone fertilizes their yard, the run-off turns these fish into bloated cartoon-like fish in a matter of months. fun to catch. just wont eat them.

there was a sub-division that was started, they put the ponds in and stocked them, however didnt finish the roads or start building for about 4 years. those fish were supposedly edible.

Dad and I used to fish Deere Lake in the UP on opening weekend. limit out on perch and walleye. then high mercury, etc in the 70's shut that down. wasnt cleaned up and delisted until the 90's. not sure I would trust de-listing. trying to keep up with toxic listings is sometimes difficult.

garbageguy

Lieutenant Commander
The waters here at the eastern end of Lake Erie are a lot cleaner now than a half-century ago - thanks, in part, to an unintended consequence of Zebra Mussels. But the testing is better now, and the "advisories" make some people feel so good to say....
As said before - choose your poison