rust-o-leum marine top coat

rcl700

Petty Officer 2nd Class
has anyone used the rust - o leum marine top deck paint??
thoughts on this stuff?
i found it for 8.99 a ct.+ shipping is this stuff any good for fiberglass?:rolleyes:

mtduckhunter

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: rust-o-leum marine top coat

ive never herd of it, i would like to know more about it also and see some colors.

wca_tim

Lieutenant Commander

I played with some a bit and posted something about it somewhere on here a few weeks ago. It applied a little like interlux brightsides and used the same thinner base and I believe similar chemistry. it wasn't quite as glossy and was perhaps a little softer even after a few weeks cure time. Not bad for something you can buy at lowes for 10 bucks a quart. Although, like the brightsides and even a little worse, there's not comparison with any of the two compoinent auto or marine urethanes or even epoxy based systems. I was disappointed by how easily it scratched...

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

i have been using regular oil base Rustoleum for years on boats, hulls, top side, decks. this boat is total rustoleum. even used Rustoleum spray, to change color of bimini.

67sportcrafttrailer003.jpg

67sportcrafttrailer002.jpg

67sportcrafttrailer001.jpg

TommyA

Petty Officer 2nd Class

tashasdaddy you sprayed the canvas with Rustoleum with good results? I really am fond of the choice of colors you used.;)

rcl700

Petty Officer 2nd Class

do you think that there is any diffrence in the standard to the marine top coat? how does the standard hold up to uv rays?
who offen do you repaint? thanks for the fast replys!!!:)

tashasdaddy

it holds up well, i have not had to repaint. yes i sprayed the top with spray rustoleum. i have sprayed many things with it, you would never know. i have sprayed dirty gray carpet with it. do it lightly in the hot sun, dries quickly, covers the nasty stuff in boat carpet.

Pam C

Seaman Apprentice

can this be used on my Cobia? Are there any tips on "how to" ? I do not have chaulk buid up. Just faded out. I know I can not get pea green, but if I chose to change, could I use this product?

Pam

tashasdaddy

yes, Pam, i answered in your thread. http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=249055

you may experiment mixing the forest green and some yellow, maybe a little white. to get your own color. just mix enough to do it all. HD and Lowes sell empty paint cans. to store the mix.

Pam C

Seaman Apprentice

Would this work on the vinyl bimini

Bruce San

Petty Officer 1st Class

Tasha's Daddy, I know I'm replying to a rather old post but, How's that rustoleum holding up on the canvas? I have a t-top that is in pretty good condition but the canvas leaks like a sun of a gun. I was thinking about painting it but......

tashasdaddy

it has faded a little in the FL sun, but another can will have it looking like new. light coats, in the sun when you paint it. drys instantly, then you can recoat, it will look splotchy, until it dries.

rtpassini

Chief Petty Officer

this is just regular rustoleum rattle can paint? its not made for canvas or something?

also, did you use the roll and tip method?

tashasdaddy

for the top, just plain old rattle can rustoleum. i have used the gray on dirty gray boat carpet, to correct oil and fish blood stains.

rtpassini

Chief Petty Officer

did you do anything to prep the surface? or did you just clean it.

Bruce San

Petty Officer 1st Class

Thanks T.D.! I'll let you know how it comes out.