Running engine with 1 head bolt missing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

matt194

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I broke a head bolt then a bolt extractor inside the bolt. I don't have any money to get it fixed. Has anyone tried to run there engine with one head bolt missing? It is the top left head bolt. The enigne is a 1979 115hp evinrude.

Thanks,

Matt

freddyray21

Commander
Re: Running engine with 1 head bolt missing.

more than likely the gasket will fail in that spot. All the bolts are there for a reason.

matt194

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Will that effect the other 3 cylinders? What the worst that could happen?

freddyray21

Commander

over heat due to blown head gasket, scored cylinder, broken rings, broken connecting rod, seized engine. Need I go on?

JoLin

Vice Admiral

Right, freddyray21

Domino effect. The misfiring/nonfiring cylinder puts additional strain on every other component of the engine. They'll start failing. Once that happens, replacing the headbolt isn't going to help. There's also the safety factor involved in taking to the water with a motor you know has issues. Bad idea.

kenmyfam

Supreme Mariner

Do you have money for gas ????
If so a head gasket, bolt removal and new bolt is not really that expensive. Skip a trip or 2 and it's paid for the repair and you are back in business knowing your motor is sound again
If you do not have money for gas then you will not be using the motor anyway.

Benny1963

Lieutenant

good point kenny .
skip a few trips and take to machine shop im haveind one done in my powerhead mounting bolts today 20 dollars
good luck bennyb

F_R

Supreme Mariner

And quit using those bolt extractors. But every time I say that, it starts an arguement, so I won't say it. But see what happens?

CATransplant

Admiral

And quit using those bolt extractors. But every time I say that, it starts an arguement, so I won't say it. But see what happens?

You're right. When they work, they work. When they break off in the bolt, the problem is much worse. The left-handed drill bits trick is the way to go. But, you do have to go get them, and that's so much trouble, you see. They're expensive, too. Heck...I've got an EZ-Out here somewhere. :rolleyes:

iwombat

Captain

No argument here FR. Too many hard lessons learned with that one.

matt194

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I have broken 2 ez outs in this bolt. No machine shop will take the job. By the time I get this bolt out myself there will be know threads left to installl another bolt. What should I do?

HighTrim

Supreme Mariner

What you need is a left hand drill bit along with a quality penetrating oil.

freddyray21

Commander

I can't believe a machine shop will not do it. diamond drill bit go slow and use plenty of oil.

iwombat

Captain

HighTrim, it's long past left-hand drill time with two hardened ez-outs embedded in the bolt. Can we get a picture of the beast? Maybe that'll spark some ideas. Don't worry about the thread repair, that's the easy part of the job.

HighTrim

Supreme Mariner

HighTrim, it's long past left-hand drill time with two hardened ez-outs embedded in the bolt. Can we get a picture of the beast? Maybe that'll spark some ideas. Don't worry about the thread repair, that's the easy part of the job.

Not even a real big one??? ;)

Shoulda read the posts a little closer, tks.

CATransplant

Admiral

I have broken 2 ez outs in this bolt. No machine shop will take the job. By the time I get this bolt out myself there will be know threads left to installl another bolt. What should I do?

How many machine shops have you asked? If I had a machine shop, I'd love jobs like this, since I'd be able to pretty much charge whatever I wanted to fix what someone messed up.

Try a couple more. Someone will do it for you. Then, if necessary, they'll install the helicoil and give you a nice, shiny, new bolt, along with a bill you won't like very much. The left-hand drills will seem inexpensive then.

iwombat

Captain

From your other post, you're disassembling the whole powerhead, right?

You should continue on that track and take a bare block into the shop. They may be balking at performing this operation on an assembled block.

If nothing else, you can heat the crap out of it with an oxy/aceteline until the threads fail and punch the broken stud through. There's not a lot of thread to heat for the head bolts.

F_R

Supreme Mariner

Last resort when I was working on them 30 years ago before the invention of those fancy steel vaporizing cutting thingies was to cut or grind the aluminum away from the side of the bolt, shuck the bolt out of the hole thus made, then weld the aluminum back and redrill and tap. Did I mention last resort? Reserved for when the other option was junk the part.

iwombat

Captain

Another ugly option is to drill around the ez-out in 4 or 5 places if there's enough meat left. You can then sometimes use a small cold chizel to pop the hardened bit out.

It's an ugly job no matter which way you slice it.

Lone Duck

Master Chief Petty Officer

Another ugly option is to drill around the ez-out in 4 or 5 places if there's enough meat left. You can then sometimes use a small cold chizel to pop the hardened bit out.

It's an ugly job no matter which way you slice it.

Or you can grind a point on another bolt then weld it to broken bolt and try again, the heat also helps. Course it depends on where 1st bolt broke and if you can get to it.

Status
Not open for further replies.