thermostat white poppet valve

Johnson110

Chief Petty Officer
Question , i am changing my thermostat in my 110 johnson, on the white poppet valve how big of a hole should i drill in to each valve, i already drilled a two 1/16 holes in each, but it seems very small! could some help me out with this! Thanks

Dhadley

Supreme Mariner
Re: thermostat white poppet valve

What are you trying to accomplish?

Johnson110

Chief Petty Officer

ok i wanted to make sure that the thermostat assembly has a bleeder for water to get out, i understand that this thermostat set does not bleed out the water out then the salt corrision starts to take place! reason for thermostat change is motor has very little water exhaust at idle and slow speed out the relief holes when in the water, the motor is used in salt water for the season, docked in salt water! thanks for any input!

bonitoman

Petty Officer 1st Class

You do not drill any hole into the thermostat or housing. Replace the two thermostats in addition to the two poppet valves. Whoever told you to drill is nuts.

Johnson110

Chief Petty Officer

the guy who sold me the thermostat gave two used poppet valves, is it ok to use these or should i get new ones two! Thanks for replys

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner

if the t-stats are the stainless bombardiar ones the hold the poppet open and us a dremel and cut a smallnotch in the poppet of the t-stat. DO NOT drill on the relief valves. never tried it but it mat cause them to stick or not function. the sierra part number t-stats have the notch in them.part# 18-3553, any napa store.the small veny hole at the top center of the bakelite housing can, and I usually do here in the salt pond, be enlarged to 1/8th and no larger than 3/16ths. the reason for venting is to allow the colde water to flow out so the hot water from the heads can get to them. otherwise your post willbe it idles great for 5 min then the hot horn sounds after sitting 10 min its fine the rest of the day. them shiney stainless steel ones are great except when the changed from brass to stainless they eliminated the vent. not wise but they did not consult me. I just modify them and go on.

seahorse5

Rear Admiral

For over 20 years I have filed small notches using a triangular file in the white plastic "poppet" valves. One 1/32" deep groove at 12:00 position and one at 6:00.<br /><br />That way the air bleeds out quickly when the valve is seated, avoiding an airlock, so the warm water reaches the thermostate temp elements. Also when the motor shuts down, the bottom groove drains the water out of the housing, cutting down on corrosion.<br /><br />The factory stainless steel themostats last for years with this modification.

Johnson110

Chief Petty Officer

Thanks for replys if the sierra ones have the vent in them then that the one i will get, i got the omc stainless themostats, if i get the new poppet ones as mentioned above i will all set to go right, it is a real pain in the _____ to get at so i want to be sure that i nailed this down right!

Johnson110

Chief Petty Officer

Rodbolt, i read your message got confused, i have omc stainless thermostat, i would have to notch the thermostat,are you refering to the small bleed hole in the part of the housing that holds the thermostats in place? also can i use some sealer filler for the two small holes that i drilled in to the white poppet valves? Thanks again!

G DANE

Commander

CAn anyone post a picture of a modified thermostat or a Sierra, as they are not available over here.

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner

110<br /> 1/16th holes most likly wont hurt anything. I have cut notches on them like seahorse years<br />ago when the t-stat valve was not the self flushing type.<br /> yes that small hole in the t-stat holder.<br /> I dont think I would worry about the holes in the poppets. at1/16th they will stop up rapidly by themselves. and yes now since the t-stat is self flushing I notch the valve"disc" on the t-stat. useing the tiny carbide burr. all you need is enough to prevent a good seal from forming between the disc and the body. gotta let the air and the cold water out. <br /> Gdane<br /> cant help with pics. not that technologicly advanced yet, no cell phone or pager either.

Johnson110

Chief Petty Officer

Rodbolt , i am going to open up the center hole on the bakelite piece and i filled in one hole each on the white poppett valves with some Duco cement, this will leave i/16 hole in each white poppett valve and i will have the cnter hole opened up in the bakelite. i really donot want to mess around withe stainless thermostats! do you think what i am doing is good enough? Thanks again!

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner

I guess. some have no problems others do. its just easy for me to vent all of them, the second time it comes apart is out of my pocket.

Johnson110

Chief Petty Officer

Hmm, i do value your opinion, i will assemble and keep my fingers crossed, the old bakelite part did not have that hole made bigger. the new one will, hey rodbolt thanks for all information!