Run out of gas?

eeboater

Commander
NYM's post in LD's thread got me thinking... You know when you are driving down the road and you see the people are on the side of the road with a gas can... ever wonder WHY they ran out of gas? When I'm driving, I look at my guages. Don't they notice?!<br /><br />Has anyone ever run out of gas? And if so... why the heck did it happen?!<br /><br />Sean

Vlad D Impeller

Commander
Re: Run out of gas?

could be their gas guage don't work, or they might be the ones that drive with their eyes closed and have a telephone growing out of their ears.

Kenneth Brown

Captain

Originally posted by eeboater:<br /> When I'm driving, I look at my guages.
Not me, I look where I'm going. I've ran out of gas maybe two times in my life. My 66 GMC didn't have a gauge. I knew how far I could go everyday and never worried about it. One day while I was asleep my wife borrowed my truck. She went about 50 miles in it. I didn't know and that night I ran out on the way to work. The other time was when I was a kid and had no money. I was gonna "borrow" some gas from the store but had a change of heart. Didn't make it home that night, at least not driving I didn't.

90skichallenger

Petty Officer 1st Class

Gauge was reading wrong. Told me I still had a 1/4 tank. Lying POS. It happened to me as I was nearing the top of a drawbridge. Ended up holding up traffic until the dot guy came along, pushed me to the other side of the bridge and gave me some gas to get home.

revertmastec

Petty Officer 1st Class

Ever see the Seinfeld episode??? It's just a rush to see if you can make it just a little bit further. :D :D :D <br /><br /><br />Sometimes you lose.

davemaxi1970

Petty Officer 1st Class

probibly playing "fuel guage chicken" seeing how far you can go in the red before you bottle it <br />and find a petrol station <br />I once had a SAAB with a fuel computer I was on my way to the petrol station and it went down to 0 miles I thought it would have a few miles reserve but no I only got 100yds and stopped luckily I carry a spare gallon!

chuckz

Chief Petty Officer

Happened to me twice. During gas rationing there was a period of time where you had to buy 10 gallons minimum. I had a Honda 600, it had a 9.5 gallon tank. I ran out of gas on an exit ramp going to the gas station. I rolled up to the pumps.<br /><br />The other time was when I was a poor college student, ranout of gas as I hit the apron of the gas station. Again I rolled up to the pumps.<br /><br />Neither one was a surprise.

sangerwaker

Commander

I've never ran out of gas in anything except my lawnmower and snowblower. (insert knocking on wood sound here)<br /><br />I have 2 Mopar vehicles currently. Both have the overhead console with the DTE function that calculates how far you can travel on your remaining fuel. I've had both vehicles to 0 several times, but have never ran out.

LadyFish

Admiral

I can honestly say I have never run out of gas. Now, I have run out of oil a time or two. :rolleyes:

LubeDude

Admiral

Originally posted by LadyFish:<br /> Now, I have run out of oil a time or two. :rolleyes:
You are one of the most honest blonds I have ever known. :p :p Poor MrLadyfish :eek:

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Once. October 13, 1957.<br /><br />I had just bought a second hand car and was taking my 9 mo. plus a week pregnant wife for a cruise around Oahu. Fuel guage read 1/4 tank when it went dry.<br /><br />She walked with me to the nearest gas station. The attendant gave us a ride back to the car.<br /><br />About a half hour later my second daughter was born on a gurney between the ER and Maternity at Tripler Army Hospital while I was parking the car.<br /><br />So, for 48 years now I break into a cold sweat anytime the guage reads 1/4 tank or below.

kenimpzoom

Rear Admiral

I ran out once, but it wasnt a surprise. Just stupid, thought I could make it.<br /><br />I carry a can so somebody gave me a lift to the gas station and back to my car.<br /><br />Ken

davemaxi1970

Petty Officer 1st Class

Ken sorry if the laws are different over there but why have an empty gas can in your car? isnt that like having a spare tyre with no air in it??

Boomyal

Supreme Mariner

I always push the envelope in my service van. Had a few close calls so now I carry a 2.5 gal gas can. I use it quite frequently, usually before it starts to sputter tho.

cntrydude

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I can honestly say I have never run out of gas. Now, I have run out of oil a time or two. <br /><br />
You didn't say how many times you have been IN a car that ran out of gas! :D

ZmOz

Captain

Never. I'm quite paranoid about this. I rarely let my tank get below 1/2...and even when the gauge says it's completely empty there's still ~3 gallons left. I'm even more paranoid on the boat, I keep at least 2 gallons of spare gas.

D

DJ

I've never run out of gas in an automobile.<br /><br />Do people look at their guages-NOPE. That explains why I quite frequently see people driving around, at night, with no lights on. :rolleyes: Absolutely-CLUELESS.

Link

Rear Admiral

Bad sending unit 1993... front tank empty and using rear tank.. read 1/2 full..leaving work going up steep hill... uggg Good thing was I was still at the marina (work place) and we had diesel... Bad thing it cost 2000 dollars over the next two months replacing injecters and starter..<br />Arrrg...... did I replace the sending unit? No ofcourse not.. I'm a guy.. since then I always fill up and switch to the rear tank first.. at 250 miles I turn on the front tank.. :D works for me.. Hmm how long am I going to keep this truck??...

dolluper

Captain

Ran out ten feet away from the dock just before putting the boat away for the winter,tryed to run out and that was close boy Always running out with the lawn mower when you have 10 more feet to cut or the snowblower with one more pass to do :mad: