Run out of gas?

QC

Supreme Mariner
Re: Run out of gas?

Ran out a couple of times when I was in my 20s. Had a company car and we had our own gas pumps. I would always top it off on Friday night and try to make it through the weekend without buying any . . . left more money for beer. :D

SS MAYFLOAT

Admiral

Can't remember ever running out of gas? Power tools many times, but then you don't have to walk far. I don't like walking when I can ride. :D And I know I never want to run out of gas on the road or on the water.<br /><br />When my brother was 16, (in the late 60's) he ran out of gas in a bad area where growers of a certain weed was cultivated. Dad took me along to go find him since he didn't get home on time. After checking with my brothers friends, he went to the location of where he should be. Dad found him in the car with the snot beaten out of him. I think that I the main reason I watch my guages as well as the odometer to make sure I never run out.

one more cast

Captain

I bought a brand new 1981 Kawasaki 650 and while on my first tank of gas it started sputtering on the way to work. I flip it on reserve and figure I will fill up in the mouring because I was on the 3-11 shift and I was about a mile from work and it was only 5 miles to get back home and I had enough fuel to go about 40 miles on reserve.....WRONG.... I ran out of gas at 11 pm on a back country road in the springtime so everything off the blacktop was mud.I ended up pushing that bike over a mile and up 2 pretty big hills. It took me a couple of hours and I was totally beat by the time I pushed it into the driveway.

Boomyal

Supreme Mariner

Hey OMC, when are they gonna open the pool in the 'no more sno-cam' motel? Got a kick out of looking at that all winter, such as it was.<br /><br />At 5:20 pst, that thermometer is just over 40 deg. Brrrrrrrrrrr! You still havin winter there?

one more cast

Captain

Its been pretty cool here. We had frost the last couple of nights. I think the water park opens up next weekend but I bet it won't be very busy.

snapperbait

Vice Admiral

Once.. In the boat while doing test runs in the canal getting her dialed in right, just before the rain.. <br /><br />Faulty sender.. Gauge said I had near a half tank, and I'm thinking wow, this thing's gonna get better mileage than I thought... SWEET! :) 60 miles on the gps and i still have half a tank.. I got range.. Bahamas, here I come... Sputter-sputter-backfire.... DOHHH!... :eek: <br /><br />Good samaritan towed me back.. In the rain too... Dude left before I could thank him... :cool:

notinbig

Petty Officer 1st Class

NEVER, I also pay attention to my gauges. If you say your "watching the road not the gauges" You should not be behind the wheel. You need topay attention to gas, temp, and oil pressure if you don't your more screwed than if you run out of gas

Kenneth Brown

Captain

I knew that we couldn't get along forever. Yes I watch my gauges. I even install gauges in my vehicles that don't have them. On those that I install I make a note of a normal reading. I position it where its straight up so its very noticeable if somethings not right. Hows that buddy? Am I paying enough attention for you? Naw, probably not.

Realgun

Commander

I ran outa gas once. I was on my way to the bank to get money for gas. In running out I passed a branch of that bank and in my youth dod not know you could get money at any branch of the bank, DOH!

brother chris

Commander

I have never run out of gas except once and that was in my boat. <br />We were going up river, with the tide against us. We ran out of gas about 1 1/2 miles from the dock. So my buddy had to hold the gas tank on an angle so the motor could suck up whatever fumes there were there. <br />Then we get it going and we think we are going to make it to the dock and at about 10knots and 30feet from the dock, the motor dies. <br />I yell to someone on the dock and luckily they heard me. "Grab the rope". They did catch it and pulled us in. Thank goodness or we would have ended up floating out to the ocean. <br />The reason we ran out of gas was because it was Sunday and all the gas stations on the water were closed. But we made it. :D

rwise

Captain

my Dad ran a salvage for years, he bought a car off the side of the road the guy told him it just died, can't be out of gas the gauge says 1/4 tank. Got it home poured gas in the tank (about 2 gal.) and a shot in the carb, started right up! Slapped the tank and the gauge fell to empty.

dhammann

Petty Officer 1st Class

It's called, being broke and trying to stretch a dollar

NYMINUTE

Captain

I haven't YET. My daughter does it routinly. I think the "E" in her mind is "Extra" She is a blonde, so I guess this is POP.

Nos4r2

Lieutenant Commander

Loads of times on bikes when I was at college.<br /><br />Twice in a lorry. Once with a faulty fuel gauge and an underslung tank, the other time nowhere was open at night for 150 miles that took my fuel card.<br /><br />Only ever once in a car though, trying to get to get fuel after someone siphoned the tank. I rolled up to the pumps.

all thumbs

Chief Petty Officer

A couple of times when I was a teenager using dads car. Gas was about 23 cents a gallon and still didn't have enough money to waste on gas. Once in the boat, 60 some mile round trip ran out just as I got back docking the boat. Hasen't happened to my wife yet but it will. Her favorite line is when it is on E , it means Enough.

Mr.Ladyfish

Master Chief Petty Officer

Never intentionally. <br /><br />I love it when I get in LF's Sequoia and the gauge shows empty. Hit the gas calc. and it shows "0". Then I have to sweat the 1 mile trip to the station. What is it with women and their allergy to fuel pumps?

SoulWinner

Commander

Sequoia? Boy LF, those are nice! How many miles to the gallon do you get? I get a little over 15mpg in my Land Cruiser.

Mr.Ladyfish

Master Chief Petty Officer

It gets about 14-15 around town SW. On trips it will get 20 - 22 depending on brand of gas.

LadyFish

Admiral

I just don't like to pump gas on windy days, or rainy days, or humid days, or days with Y's in them. It messes up my hair and blows my skirt up. ;) :p <br /><br />I remember the good ole days when there were gas station attendants for such things. Oh Yeah, and they even clean the windshield, and checked the oil, and check your tires for air, and gas was still less that $1 a gallon. But I guess back then they were referred to as "Service" stations. :rolleyes:

Perfidiajoe

Petty Officer 1st Class

Some 30 years ago, I was doing side jobs fixing cars, I had a tune up & brake job to do on a '73 javlin(don't laugh, it was extra money). I tookthe car to work as my boss let me do my own jobs after hours. The gauge said 1/2, work was 7 miles, no problem, Ha Ha, fool you again Kimosabie. The owner forgot to tell me the gauge always said 1/2. Ran out on the expressway. Joe