Run as is?

CaptainPuget

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: Run as is?

They’re out, none broken and the inner plate removed. The inner plate is cracked in at least two places and at least one crack does extend into the block at the top exhaust port on #5. There also appears to be a 2nd, smaller crack in the same place at #3. Sorry, no photos they didn’t turn out.

JasonJ

Rear Admiral

It just sounds worse and worse, I'm sorry to hear about it. :(

Clams Canino

Commander

OK... use a razor on edge (and carb cleaner)to clean the block surface (and surrounding mess) and re-assess and report. The real cracks likely imprinted the block with flow. (hopefully)<br /><br />The inner plate is available. Use only the Mercury gasket, a thin coat of red permatex, and torque in 3 stages to 200 inch pounds. <br /><br />If there is a *true* crack, You'll need to v-grind it with a dremel and then go to a GOOD tig-welder to try to seal it up.<br /><br />-W

CaptainPuget

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Oh these are real cracks alright. The big one is all the way through the skirt of the exhaust port and I can stick a .040 feeler gauge in it. The other I sprayed with die and it shows bright red. <br /><br />Looking at this from a dollars and sense point of view it isn’t fiscally prudent to continue. A week ago a party across the water from me sold this exact same model engine for $950 with controls. There are 3 in-line sixes that I know of in the local area currently for sale ranging from $750 - $900. Bottom line – they are still relatively common and they are cheap. If I did fix this one it would be worth less than $1000. If I choose to replace it with a working engine I can do so for about that same amount. <br /><br />If I was to continue I’d probably go with something like this:<br /> http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=4506509517 (nice work Clams, it’s a beauty), rather than build on a cracked foundation. But then my trim motor is about rusted away and I have no idea what the insides of the lower unit look like. It’s been an interesting autopsy but I’m stopping here. <br /><br />Thanks for all the help.<br />
Arima.jpg

AMD Rules

Lieutenant Commander

Here comes JJ looking for parts... I can feel it. <grin><br /><br />Sorry to hear about your bad luck CaptainPuget. Your saga has provided a great learning experience for the rest of us.

Clams Canino

Commander

(bows head)<br /><br />We pause for a moment of silence. As another Tower of Power leaves the planet.<br /><br />(plays taps)<br /><br />-W

JasonJ

Rear Admiral

Sorry about your loss. When an inline dies, a part of your soul dies as well.<br /><br />Soooooo, how 'bout those trim parts? :) <br /><br />You can always part it out on Ebay, the new switch boxes, cowl, basically any part that is still salvageble. You could end up with a significant amount of loot to offset the cost of replacement. Good luck.

Greg New Zealand

Petty Officer 3rd Class

What a great read! Don't get much time for books but plenty of good action in this. Thanks guys. :)

Clams Canino

Commander

Hey C.P. Before you scrap that block, wanna back out the 6 long mounting studs at the bottom and mail them to me??<br /><br />I got a core back - improperly packed - studs somewhat porked.<br /><br />-W