Run as is?

gss036

Commander
Re: Run as is?

Go to Schucks and get a can of PBBlaster and let them soak overnite. That should help.

CaptainPuget

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I’ll probably get to this over the weekend. I’m curious to see what the damage is.<br /><br />I broke one of the upper bolts on the rear internal cowl support but it shouldn’t be much of a problem to get out; there’s a good sized stub left to get a grip on. Being a saltwater engine a lot of the bolts have that sticky white powder oxide in the threads that makes them hard to remove. <br /><br />Thanks for the information, it’s invaluable.

Clams Canino

Commander

Have a 5/16 - 18 nut tig-welded to the nub. Then smack it around a bit and then heat the casting - It'll turn out.<br /><br />-W

Clams Canino

Commander

OK Guys... is it just me?... or does that look an awefull lot like water damage?<br /><br /><br />-W (knows the answer... just don't wanna tell him what comes next till I can word it better)

Clams Canino

Commander

Let me ask you this? Are you REALLY willing to put some time into it? (not so much money - time)<br /><br />-W

Clams Canino

Commander

Originally posted by CaptainPuget:<br /> Being a saltwater engine a lot of the bolts have that sticky white powder oxide in the threads that makes them hard to remove.
You have no idea the significance of what you said here. :( Stay tuned till morning.<br /><br /><br />-W (going to bed)

CaptainPuget

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I had a bit of spare time this evening so I pulled out the rotating group. I’m guessing the engine would run better if #5 actually had some rings. They are completely gone and so are some chunks of the ring lands. But I’m jumping ahead, I haven’t removed the pistons from the crank yet.<br /><br />
p2.jpg

CaptainPuget

Petty Officer 2nd Class

You’re scaring me here. I’m guessing I won’t be popping in a new piston and going on my merry way. But I do have a cool paperweight for my desk. Looking forward to tomorrow.

Clams Canino

Commander

Here's the deal. #5 looks like water damage on the exhaust side. That means you need to go snooping for a leak.<br /><br />The exhaust divider plate and outer water cover are held on by 24 5/16-18 bolts. If your inner cowl support is any indication, getting these off will be slow and trying. You will need to lay the block on it's side and soak them with penetrating oil for a week, then apply heat to the block at each bolt (not the bolt) and then use an air inpact wrench on a low setting to "vibrate" them free without breaking them. If you don't have such a tool - take it to someone who does and explain that broken bolts are not an option. Hitting the top of the bolt straight down with some impact also helps break them free, sacrifice a small socket if needed or a wide punch.<br /><br />If one or more bolt does break, once those two plates are removed, enough will be sticking up to tig-weld (NOT stick weld) a 5/16-18 nut to the nub. 1st wire brush the nub to block junction with a toothbrush sized wire brush and soak each junction with a good penetrating oil for over a week. (remember you have all winter - don't hurry this) If someone here knows of a substance that specificly attacks the white suff - speak up. I use "Mousemilk" but there may be better out there.<br /><br />So.... once you have done that for a week - clean the nubs real good and have the nuts welded on, then beat the nuts side to side a bit without harming the gasket surfaces also hit them "in" with a hammer a bit. Again use heat on the block where the bolts insert and they WILL turn out.<br /><br />Any bolts that fail both the 1st try with the air wrench or the second try with the welded nut will need to go to the machine ship to get a 5/16-18 helicoil put in. But assume you can get 100% of them if you go slow enough. There's only 24 - each one is a reason to celebrate.<br /><br />Once you have the two plates off and the 24 bolts free, you'll see an "inner plate" around the exhaust ports with 23 bolts. I hate to say it but the same exact story applies only these 23 are even harder than the 1st 24. <br /><br />Getting these 47 bolts out of a salt water motor is prolly the toughest challenge in doing up an old inline. It may encourage you to know that I've never failed to get them all and in general I only have to heli-coil 2-3 bolts per salt water block. <br /><br />No harm in bagging up the pistons and stuff as described earlier. Don't pull the rings off the pistons yet though.<br /><br />But for now - your focus shifts to making the block 100% and fixing the leak that did this.<br /><br />Thn we can return to fix the damage and patch the old girl up a bit.<br /><br />-W

ozarkjeep

Petty Officer 2nd Class

This is the best thread I have seen in a while!<br /><br />Please continue to photograph and document the steps!<br /><br />Sweeeet!

CaptainPuget

Petty Officer 2nd Class

OK – I’m not afraid of a few bolts. I moved the whole mess to a workshed out back since this is going to be a long term project. The fuel fumes were pretty bad in the garage and were seeping into the house anyway. I’ve got all the time in the world now. Not boating all winter is not an option but I’ll put the 70hp on the Arima and I’ll creep around at 25 knots while I’m fixing this one.<br /><br />Thanks again for the information. The block is soaking in shallow pan of liquid wrench. I’ll give an update in a week or so when I take on the 1st set of bolts.

Clams Canino

Commander

Hell, let it soak two weeks, these are some really bad *** bolts here. I'm not trying to scare you, but I still cringe when I know I have to pop off the exhaust plates on a salt-water inline. Remember that the vibration from the impact wrench and the heat applied to the bolt hole area is the key. They *can* come out... but it takes *pataince* and the *right* tools. <br /><br />-W

AMD Rules

Lieutenant Commander

Wow...this is a great thread ! Thumbs-up to Clams.<br /><br />After reading this, I am excited to hear how it turns out. All of this nostalgia has me yearning for one of these mystical TOP inlines.<br /><br />Best of luck Captain.... keep them photos coming.

fishkiller

Seaman

puget, what year is the 70hp? my johnson powerhead went this summer(much worse than your merc) and have not been able to find anything here in yakima. perhaps when your done 'putting' around we could talk....... ;)

CaptainPuget

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Sorry Fishkiller, I’ve got plans for the 70hp. It’s to go on my 16’ river sled when I find a pump for it. If yours has a pump maybe we should talk, but one project at a time.<br /><br />Nothing new to report, still soaking the bolts

CaptainPuget

Petty Officer 2nd Class

The outer cover is off. Whacking the bolts seems to be the key. I used an old bolt for a blunt punch and gave each a few whacks with a ball peen hammer then applied limited torque. Most came free right away. Those with attitude when through the whack, torque, soak cycle until they gave it up. That’s the good news.<br /><br />There’s plenty of bad news inside. I can’t see where the water intrusion is coming from but its results are obvious. There are two large cracks under the bolts at the top of #5 and #3 (see photo). The crack near #5 extends into the block. There are carbon and salt deposits caking most of the bolt head and the combination of corrosion and heat and these bolts has makes them look impossible to remove without breaking.<br /><br />Any point in continuing with a crack in the block?<br /><br /><br />
crack.jpg

Clams Canino

Commander

Don't count on the crack somehow "extending" into the block. Metal don't often work that way. You won't know for sure till that plate is off. <br /><br />You hurried the 1st 24. Hurry these 23 and your toast.<br /><br />You need to wire brush , use carb cleaner, pick, chisel, etc etc till you have the best possible bolt surface to start with. Then use penetrant and heat and hammers and stuff. They will come out but it will take at least twice the time the 1st 24 did.<br /><br />Pic is a little TOO close up.... I cant see the fine detail.<br /><br />-W

CaptainPuget

Petty Officer 2nd Class

OK – will take it slower on these. The geometry inside here doesn’t lend itself to immersing the bolts unless I soaked the whole thing in a big pot. I’ve sprayed it with penetrating oil but I need to clean them up better and I need a better method of retaining the penetrating oil around the bolts. Maybe I’ll make little cofferdams out of clay or something. Soak a week or two.

cmyers_uk

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Best thread Ive ever seen Clams you deserve a Medal, CaptainPuget, keep at it and good luck Im watching this with interest!

AMD Rules

Lieutenant Commander

Maybe if we count down the days....it'll make waiting easier?<br /><br />12 days to go 'till the next bolt gets removed.