rudders are rude

Helpmetomcruise

Seaman Apprentice
So I have never pulled and replaced a through hull rudder shaft on anything and I get to start on a 28' 1977 carver santa cruz with a vertical through hull rudder... and so I need to know a few things such as do these rudder shafts disconnect from the control point just above the packing disk at the top of the rudder shaft and then drop out through the bottom or do I need to remove the blade from the rudder shaft and then pull it up through the packing box after disconnecting it from the shaft head? Also can I expect this Rudder shaft to be a solid piece of ss round stock or will it be a piece of thick wall ss tube that I'm working with?
#Carver Santa Cruz #V-drive #through hull rudder shaft #steering repairs #help #?

Last edited:

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
you should have to remove the tiller arm from the rudder shaft and loosen or remove the gland nut from the packing gland and the rudder should drop out

Helpmetomcruise

Seaman Apprentice
you should have to remove the tiller arm from the rudder shaft and loosen or remove the gland nut from the packing gland and the rudder should drop out
the tiller arm is the little lever sticking forward perpindicular to the rudder which the steering linkage then attaches to right?

Helpmetomcruise

Seaman Apprentice
okay thank you i believe that about covers what i need do you happen to know what kind of prop puller i need to purchase?