Rubrail Scrap Needed

wasabi

Recruit
This is a great site and although I've gotten a lot of info here, I've never had to ask my own question.

I hope this is the correct forum to post this.

I have just made (had made actually) a nice sized ladder for divers/swimmers to egress/ingress the boat while out in the water. The ladder has a brace that rests against the hull.

This brace is about 23" wide by 2" tall. Right now I just have rags wrapped around it to protect the hull from the metal.

I was thinking about using a short piece of rubrail installed on the ladder to protect the boat.

1st question is: Does this seem like a good idea (it does to me)? If not, I sure am open to suggestions.

I hate the rags. Really looks tacky.

Thanks for any/all help.

Cheers,
Richard

Last edited by a moderator:

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
Re: Rubrail Scrap Needed

Richard,

Post a pic, and I'm sure you'll get lot's of suggestions.

wasabi

Recruit

A picture would probably help but unavailable for now. Long story short it's just a piece of aluminum 2" by 23" that I want to cover.

THanks RIchard

oops!

Supreme Mariner

unfortunately,,,,,,the shape of rub rail....especially semi rigid. might not be the best for you.

i would think starboard (avalable almost any where) would work fine.

another option is actually wood.....it could be shaped to what you need, and spar varnished to show its color.

the last option would be rubber from a tire tube or just about anything, glued to the support.
3m5200 or pl premium would work as glue

Temperature

Recruit

I was on the web looking for some scrap rub rail when I came across this site. When you hit the corner or shrinkage occurs, you should not have to pay over $100 to get a small piece with which to fill in or replace a bad short length. EBay was no help with scrap pieces either. I wonder if this could be a good place to start a "Rub Rail Scrap Co-op"? You could list what you have that is used and what you have that is excess from your new stuff....

FYI, I am looking for a 3' piece of V12-4144 made by Taco. It is white, 1/2" high, 1.1875" wide, secures into a 3/4" rail.

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member

I was on the web looking for some scrap rub rail when I came across this site. When you hit the corner or shrinkage occurs, you should not have to pay over $100 to get a small piece with which to fill in or replace a bad short length. EBay was no help with scrap pieces either. I wonder if this could be a good place to start a "Rub Rail Scrap Co-op"? You could list what you have that is used and what you have that is excess from your new stuff....

FYI, I am looking for a 3' piece of V12-4144 made by Taco. It is white, 1/2" high, 1.1875" wide, secures into a 3/4" rail.

Welcome to iboats

This is NOT a place to start a co-op.

Proper removal and re-installation of rub rails has been discussed here many times. If you are interested you should start a new post of your own.