Rough and ready '74 Starcraft Chieftan 18' rebuild

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Rough and ready '74 Starcraft Chieftan 18' rebuild

That's a good question, Chem. But I don't know the answer - Yet.

third times the charm

Petty Officer 1st Class

Just caught up man. Don't feel bad about the mini boat yard. Mine is looking like a full blown boat salvage yard. Got parts and boats everywhere. And my basment, lol. I will keep following your progress

jbcurt00

Staff member

Just a boring technical question for those who've brushed metal primer: I most definitely have to sand, probably wet sand with a fine sponge, but should I just avoid hitting the rivets at all? My obvious concern is with taking the primer off the rivet heads

How much do you really 'need' to sand to remove the brush strokes & runs? Generally MOST of the primer has brush marks, or just some of it? Lots of runs or just a few?

These come in ultrafine, fine, medium, these are ultrafine:
trm-7448_w.jpg

Use them wet (w/ a LITTLE dish soap in the water) & just scuff the primer in most places, if you can still see/feel the run &/or brush marks, go a tad more aggressive w/ the wet sanding. Don't press down as you cross over the rivets.

A 20oz plastic bottle w/ a small hole or 2 in the lid works great for keeping the work surface wet & rinsing off the sanded area...

laurentide

Lieutenant Commander

Thanks, JB. Most of the primer has brush marks, and maybe 2 or 3 runs. I'll grab a couple of those pads on my way home this afternoon.

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

Have you considered using the Roll n' Roll method using the Ultra Fine foam rollers. You can get an almost Spray on look finish using them. this link has some good info for you..."Paint Your Boat for Under $100 Bucks...Well Almost"

The cycoanalates are nasty but IMHO it takes a lot of airborne inhalation or direct skin exposure for them to cause major health issue. If you Wear a good respirator and gloves during your painting endeavors I would think you would be fine. Again this is just my NON-Professional opinion based on my research on the subject.

laurentide

Lieutenant Commander

Have you considered using the Roll n' Roll method using the Ultra Fine foam rollers. You can get an almost Spray on look finish using them. this link has some good info for you..."Paint Your Boat for Under $100 Bucks...Well Almost"

The cycoanalates are nasty but IMHO it takes a lot of airborne inhalation or direct skin exposure for them to cause major health issue. If you Wear a good respirator and gloves during your painting endeavors I would think you would be fine. Again this is just my NON-Professional opinion based on my research on the subject.

Wood, yeah, thanks...I was planning to do a roll/roll or roll/tip, based on your thread link. I hear ya' on the exposure level on the hardener, and I keep going back and forth on it. If I do use it (even after all my bad-mouthing of the product) I'll get new filters and cover up.

So you would recommend roll/roll over roll/tip? I've never tried either method. Thanks for the info.

I just got home from work to a big brown box from US Composites on my front porch. :eagerness:

JB Curt, I just did a little test run with the "between coats" 3M pad, and they're gonna work great. Thanks.

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

Yeah, lakelover did the roll n' roll on his Starcraft Jet tinny and it turned out GREAT. He used EasyPoxy w/Hardener. That link of mine has a link inside to a video that shows how to do the roll n' Roll. It really is easy and works really well.

laurentide

Lieutenant Commander

Awesome, thanks WOG, I'm gonna go for it then with the roll/roll technique, probably on Saturday, which looks to feature ideal painting conditions here.

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

The best thing I can tell you about roll n' roll is to Listen! When it sounds sticky... Stop rolling and then do the Very LIGHT re-Roll. It will lay down smooth. You will be amazed. If the temps get over 70? Use a 50/50 mix of Mineral Spirits and Acetone. It will lay down and level out much better.

laurentide

Lieutenant Commander

^^^Sounds like a plan, wood. Thanks for the advice. Any tips for "cutting in" harder to reach areas? Just cut in with a brush and then try to hit that with the re-roll?

EDIT: I'd be keeping all three, roller, roller, brush, in separate plastic bags, and cutting in as I go, not all at once.

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

Yep, Cut in with a Brush a and roll out as best you can. Foam brushes work really well

laurentide

Lieutenant Commander

Cool, thanks again wood.

I keep getting all this cool stuff in the mail:

EzApMw6.jpg

DfbZKfJ.jpg

I figured this old girl deserves a "real" wheel instead of one of the three plastic ones I have (nothing against plastic wheels, of course :D):

nZ9NdvG.jpg

...and I forgot that I'd ordered the fairing compound 'till I dug around in the peanuts:

qxK2Ity.jpg

Have a great evening everyone.

laurentide

Lieutenant Commander

Just caught up man. Don't feel bad about the mini boat yard. Mine is looking like a full blown boat salvage yard. Got parts and boats everywhere. And my basment, lol. I will keep following your progress

Haha...yeah, I'm about to put my stripped down tandem trailer out on the street with a "free" sign, which will considerably improve my backyard trash factor. We get scrappers driving through the neighborhood all the time.

third times the charm

Petty Officer 1st Class

Hey cw, lets us know how he roll,and roll works. I'm going to try the hvlp gun. I will practice on my trailer first. Might change techniques if it easier your way:D

laurentide

Lieutenant Commander

Hey cw, lets us know how he roll,and roll works. I'm going to try the hvlp gun. I will practice on my trailer first. Might change techniques if it easier your way:D

Will do. I should have some pics by Saturday evening, probably just the hull at that point.

GA_Boater

Chem - On that tank sealer, clean the tank, clean the tank and when you think it's clean, clean it again. The POR 15 sealer is good, but it's only as good as the prep. If it starts coming off, it's a mess in the fuel system.

laurentide

Lieutenant Commander

Chem - On that tank sealer, clean the tank, clean the tank and when you think it's clean, clean it again. The POR 15 sealer is good, but it's only as good as the prep. If it starts coming off, it's a mess in the fuel system.

OK, really good to know. The reason I didn't get the whole kit was to avoid buying the "marine clean" and fuel stabilizer that they sell with it.

So I guess I'll just ask: what's the best way to clean an old fuel tank that will be sealed with POR 15?

EDIT: I did find this vid, in which the fun starts at 4:30ish: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ef2zydL3IYI

But that's the general idea, eh? (aside from dumping old fuel into the ground :facepalm:)

jasoutside

Supreme Mariner

Your new steering wheel is sweet!

GA_Boater

Chem - I would get some of the Marine-Clean. It's solvent that breaks down sludge and de-greases, very important. The Prep & Ready is equivalent to self etching primer for the tank. It gives the tooth for the sealer to stick to.

Marine clean can be bought from POR for $23/gal. You might find it cheaper searching with Google.

How big is you tank? The mind is failing. :faint2:

I'll trade you my free advice for that awesome wheel. Deal?