Rough and ready '74 Starcraft Chieftan 18' rebuild

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner
Re: Rough and ready '74 Starcraft Chieftan 18' rebuild

I don't know that I'd rattle can primer. About the only thing I'd rattle cat would be the self etch stuff you only need a light dusting of. It just isn't economical (the high output cans jas used for his top coat aside). I think you'll use way more cans than you think, especially if you want any kind of "build" in places. Up to you obviously, nothing really wrong with the idea. Now rattle canning the top coat, definitely don't do that unless you use those cans jas used.

laurentide

Lieutenant Commander

OK, thanks EZ. You are definitely right about the "using more than I think I'll need" thing...I only thought I'd need 2 cans of rattle can primer for the trailer, but it ended up being 4 to get good coverage.

Here's my deal: I have a cheap 6 gallon pancake compressor, but I don't think they're adequate for HVLP guns. I won't be doing enough painting after this project to justify a real compressor purchase. I was planning to roll/tip the finish coats. But, I guess I didn't really think about how to get the primer on there. Brush, roll? I realize that this is pretty insignificant stuff, but I want to get it right the first time. Thanks...I really appreciate all the help I've been getting here.

GT1000000

Rear Admiral

You really shouldn't have an issue using your High Volume, Low Pressure spray gun...they are actually designed to use less pressure and put out more paint volume...a 6 gallon compressor should be more than adequate for the job...it will probably just keep running the whole time you are spraying...Oh, and be sure to use a good water separator and drain the compressor of all water before each use...
Get a test batch of paint thinned down to a good consistency and do a practice/test on a piece of masonite/wood/etc...
I believe you will be surprised if you get everything set up properly...
But, hey, I have been wrong before...:rolleyes:

laurentide

Lieutenant Commander

Well, GT, that changes everything regarding my paint plan. I'll get a gun and start experimenting. Thanks a lot...I didn't think the little compressors would work. I will most definitely give this a shot!

GT1000000

Rear Admiral

The biggest things you'll have to play with is the thinning of the paint, a little more or less, just don't go over the recommended maximum, but even a percentage point one way or the other can and will make difference...and adjusting your spray pattern to work with the paint so it doesn't go on too thick and run, or too dry and cause a ton of orange peel...
Again, a little experimenting and practice will tell the tale...
Good Luck and let us know how it goes...;)

laurentide

Lieutenant Commander

Good Luck and let us know how it goes...;)

You know I will. I guess the worst case scenario is just a little more sanding. Thanks brother. I've got at least a week to mess around with the gun before the temps possibly settle above 60 here.

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

Definitely test. I have a little pancake compressor and it's friggin' worthless for anything.

laurentide

Lieutenant Commander

Definitely test. I have a little pancake compressor and it's friggin' worthless for anything.

Yah, will do, for sure. Mine was great for a roofing gun, but we'll see how it performs at this task.

dozerII

Admiral

When ever you use rattle cans warm them up in a bucket of hot water, giving them a shake once in while. Yow will be amazed at how much better the paint comes out and goes on. Plus if you have the boat flipped put a little ceramic heater under it an hour or two before you want to paint and you can push the envelope a little.

jasoutside

Supreme Mariner

Yah, pancake compressor won't do anything for a HVLP gun. It'll never keep up.

Like EZ mentioned, if you go rattle cans, don't even think about using the regular cans. You must use the bigger "Pro" versions with the "improved" spray nozzle. Warning, you'll go through a lot of em.

laurentide

Lieutenant Commander

Yah, pancake compressor won't do anything for a HVLP gun. It'll never keep up.

Right, this is what all my previous research suggested.

If I use any cans, it'll just be the primer (thanks for the water tip dozer). And I'll roll-tip the rest. A new compressor ain't in the budget.

It doesn't have to be perfect, either. Just good enough for gov't work.

laurentide

Lieutenant Commander

hey chem...I just ordered Nautolex from here Nautolex Marine Vinyl Flooring, Carpet, Marine Carpet/Flooring, Nautolex Marine Vinyl Flooring from Rochford Supply - Your Online Textile and Upholstery Superstore!
They were the cheapest I could find at 18.25 a yard for the pebble finish 72" stuff. hope this helps

Thanks man, I already ordered it from here: Marine Nautolex on Sale

You're right, though, your link is $0.74 cheaper/yard.:) Thanks for the heads up!

stevecur

Petty Officer 3rd Class

You can always rent a bigger compressor from your local tool rental.

laurentide

Lieutenant Commander

It's not much, but it is forward progress:

NeJxx62.jpg

Figured since I couldn't prime or paint the hull, I could at least get the trailer done. I ended up just getting new hubs, which weren't that much more than bearing kits (and some spots I missed with the spray paint):

7Iq1E4n.jpg

As mentioned previously, these roller bunks will slide right over 2x4s. I also salvaged rollers and brackets from the tandem. I was wondering why these 40 year old rollers are in so much better condition than the ones that were on this trailer? They're solid and don't leave black marks. Plus, free. Now I just need some u-bolts...probably from iboats.

h6wJXAP.jpg

After all the deliberation over painting methods, I'm just going to brush the primer on and sand it. While I was at Tractor Supply today I got some hardener for later on:

uQWCgeP.jpg

Happy Wednesday guys.

laurentide

Lieutenant Commander

I just read more than I wanted to know about isocyanate hardeners, like the majic brand pictured above. I'm returning that stuff to Tractor Supply. You need a full face sealed respirator (though some claim that it will pass through any respirator filters anyway) and zero skin exposure to safely use that stuff, as it can and will be absorbed through skin and other membranes--like your eyes. I don't care about my paint cure time that much.

Just figured I'd pass this along, as I hadn't know about the toxicity levels myself. Sorry if I'm just being redundant with this info.

laurentide

Lieutenant Commander

So I think I just transitioned from the demo period to the constructive part of this project, which is encouraging. Gluvit's done, and primer's on everything that will be painted.

SE primer:

vzIVGQh.jpg

Rusto clean metal primer, brushed on. It has good build characteristics once the second coat goes on, but I'll be doing a bunch of sanding...couple of runs, lots of brush marks:

7dWlpin.jpg

dqpG7tf.jpg

2lHOo5Q.jpg

QiM0oi8.jpg

And the trailer's pretty much done, I just need to adjust the bunks once she's on there. I decided to just go with cedar boards, no carpet. I'm thinking I'll round the top rear corners off, and maybe something to reduce the danger of a lag bolt catching a rivet.

I'm only going to have to extend the bunks back 16", so hopefully no worries on balancing the load:

HvOIBa0.jpg

Epoxy should be here tomorrow, and the real challenge begins. No templates to work with, so I'll be measuring more than twice. I have so much to do, but all I can do is do it.

Cheers guys.

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

For a sec I thought you were going camo, whew. On the bunks just make sure the bolt heads are counter sunk and you'll be OK if you don't go with carpet.

laurentide

Lieutenant Commander

Cool, thanks Georgia. Will do.

Just a boring technical question for those who've brushed metal primer: I most definitely have to sand, probably wet sand with a fine sponge, but should I just avoid hitting the rivets at all? My obvious concern is with taking the primer off the rivet heads. My experience over the past couple of days has convinced me that if I do this again I'll invest in a real compressor and an HVLP gun. 20/20 hindsight and all.