Rough and ready '74 Starcraft Chieftan 18' rebuild

jbcurt00

Staff member
Re: Rough and ready '74 Starcraft Chieftan 18' rebuild

CW - Jason's preferred deck finish is "cheap and easy Rustoleum with grit on the deck". I think he used a cheap bag of playground sand* from the Big Box sprinkled between coats.

*Sift the sand ;)

Most sand products have multiple sized grains & some were too big @ Jas' Jet (I think..)

laurentide

Lieutenant Commander

CW - Jason's preferred deck finish is "cheap and easy Rustoleum with grit on the deck". I think he used a cheap bag of playground sand from the Big Box sprinkled between coats.

*Sift the sand ;)

Most sand products have multiple sized grains & some were too big @ Jas' Jet (I think..)

I think I'm on this path guys. I'll see y'all in about 3 days when I get through Jas' threads to pinpoint the deck painting parts.

They're kinda cheap here: RV Covers : Trailer Covers : Boat Bimini : Golf Cart Covers : SafeGuardCovers.com That's where I got mine. I'm pleased with it for the price.

Thanks EZ. Those are priced at about the best on the net. The only competitor I've found is this site, which offers sunbrella with zippers, which could be a factor in my purchase decision should I have the means to pay a custom shop to build curtains in the future: ANP inc. | Products

Thanks guys. Hopefully I'm moving toward spring here in VT.

Oops, here's the link with the price for a 6' sunbrella with zippers, aluminum frame and nylon fittings: http://catalogue.anp.ca/products/1656-68454_AN_01Z-Sunbrella_Bimini_Top___with_zipper_pkg6_L_x_Width_79___84__x_Height_48___54___3_Bow_.html

jasoutside

Supreme Mariner

Yah, couple things I'd mention about the Rusto/sand traction route...

#1 The cost is nearly nothing. If you are using Rustoleum on anything else you already have the paint. A bag of sand is like 2 bux. Compare that to ANY other decking option and you are saving a TON of cash!

#2 Repair is ultra simple. Make a gash in the deck, couple swipes of paint and yur good.

#3 "Salt" the sand in like you might a fine piece of beef with the last coat of epoxy or the first primer coat of Rusto. You'll want to "salt" in more than you think. When it's sparse it looks bad and doesn't serve the purpose. Really good coverage looks good and gives good traction. Like JB mentioned, sift, very important.

#4 It's really not the best "finish" material in my opinion. I'd grade it a B- I think, still good, but not the best. On the SN and later the Islander, snap in carpet makes all the difference and appropriate choices considering those are all around boats. If I didn't run the snap in carpet for those I would have gone with vinyl. For a strict fishing vessel, vinyl is no doubt the answer.

knowhattamean:thumb:

laurentide

Lieutenant Commander

Great, thanks Jas, and everyone else, for the kind assistance through my time of indecision. I'll be pondering all of these options today as I tackle some trailer work.

I hope y'all have a great weekend!

Teamster

Lieutenant Commander

I put the "deco dot" vinyl in my boat and I hate it,..........

Hot as all blazes in the summer sun,.........

And very slippery when fishing in a late fall early winter snow storm,.........

My next boat will have carpet,......Snap in carpet at the very least,........

jbcurt00

Staff member

Can you use Durabak on the outside of a riveted boat to seal against leaks...??

Why would you want to?

Like many problems, leaks are best fixed from the inside of the boat.

laurentide

Lieutenant Commander

Why would you want to?

I wish somebody had told my vessel's PO this. Today I found what I believe to be liquid gasket or roofing caulk between the bow plate and the hull as I was stripping paint. I shouldn't complain though...the hull is in great shape overall. The Kleen Strip made very quick work of the custom after-market latex paint. The factory paint is another story....I got to a "good enough" point on the bottom.

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

I put the "deco dot" vinyl in my boat and I hate it,..........

That deco dot stuff is awful. It's tougher to install so it looks good too. The regular Nautolex is great.

anjill1972

Cadet

Why would you want to?

No need to my interior is in nice condition not going to tear it apart.....Durabak has a color close to the tan color
Of my boat was just curious if it was a good sealer....I"ll call the company on Monday and find out.

laurentide

Lieutenant Commander

Just a really boring update on the bottom prep. I'm kind of at a standstill until the outside temperature cooperates with gluvit/painting conditions.

Anyway, I just learned that temperature also makes all the difference in the chemical stripper's effectiveness. I used the Peel Away again on the port side, applied thick and under parchment paper overnight. It took less than 20 minutes with the pressure washer to get almost every speck of factory paint off the bottom.

27FPFFz.jpg

FoG5d2O.jpg

iArMe3c.jpg

I'll give the visible portions of the bare metal a quick polish just so it fades evenly, then maybe just hit it every spring.

I won't bother with pics until it's done, but the trailer is stripped and ready for paint. I realized that the roller bunks from the tandem trailer will sit on vertical 2x4s, so I think I'll use them over PT so they'll last a while.

On to the splashwell prep today. First order of business: removal of the old name with the hardware:

pA1PKgd.jpg

Yeah, I pretty much hate this name.

a7CEQyb.jpg

I finally snapped out of my stupor of indecision. I ordered storm gray Nautolex for the deck, and I'll paint all the other ply with smoke gray Rusto. Navy for the hull sides above the top strake, and sort of cream/off-white for the whole topside and behind the side panels (I'll have to mix both...I guess a little black in royal blue for the navy, and a little yellow in white for cream color). Lots of gray, but it's cool in the sun and doesn't look as dirty as white. I thought about leaving the whole bow plate as bare metal, but I think I prefer the look of continuing the line from the strake around the bow.

Can anyone give me a tip on cutting the bevel for the instrument/steering console? It's more than a 45 degree, which is all my miter will do. I just can't figure out how to get that angle.

Thanks, and take care guys.

GT1000000

Rear Admiral

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

Nice work on the stripping. Makes me wonder if I could get my boat, heavy, tilted up enough to strip the bottom :thinking: You'll love the Nautolex.

laurentide

Lieutenant Commander

OK, so I just need to make another beveled piece of scrap to lay under my console piece. Thanks, GT.

Nice work on the stripping. Makes me wonder if I could get my boat, heavy, tilted up enough to strip the bottom :thinking: You'll love the Nautolex.

If you can get it at least some of the way exposed, it'll work. I can't believe how easy it was. The working temperature was key. It didn't work like this under 50 degrees at all.

This is the stuff I used: PEEL AWAY 7 Paint Remover 1 Gallon - Amazon.com

It's pricey, but if you leave it covered overnight it works like a dream. EDIT: and it makes the factory paint into a liquid, basically, so the PW worked great, and no mess of paint flakes, really.

laurentide

Lieutenant Commander

I also solved the riddle of the mystery hull repair, and it's definitely not from the factory. Just below the riveted panel there's some body filler in the strake, so somebody hit something. They did a pretty killer job fixing it, though, and it'll be right at the paint line, so no biggie:

6DCJRlQ.jpg

dozerII

Admiral

Color choices should look real good. Can you use a strip of 1/4 or 1/2"ply to help angle the saw to obtain the desired degree of cut?

laurentide

Lieutenant Commander

Yeah, dozer, I was way over-thinking that cut. I just need to elevate it a little to get the angle. Thanks man.

laurentide

Lieutenant Commander

Nothin' to do with my rebuild project, but this is a cool (to me) old pic of my dad's wood boat on Long Island, sometime in the early '80s. That's a very young me in the cockpit. Sadly, I'm pretty sure this one went the way of almost every wooden boat...a couple of years of neglect, then they just rot away in a boat yard somewhere. They're tough and pretty, but lots of work.

1c91EJg.jpg

If nothing else, I like to have web based photo backups.

A question on primer: I'm going to rattle can with rusto metal primer after the self etching stuff for bare metal, and I'm thinking that 12 hours above 50F will be OK, which would allow me to do it tomorrow and get another step out of the way. Bad idea? The cans say 50 or above, but I just want to make sure. Our night temps will still be in the 30s. Thanks guys.

jasoutside

Supreme Mariner

Man, that ol wood boat is really cool!

Actually on the primer then paint, you really only need to wait a few minutes or so to run the top coat. Then a few minutes in between each coat really. Also provides a better bond (chemical vs. mechanical).

Cheers:thumb:

laurentide

Lieutenant Commander

OK, thanks jas. The waiting game shall continue :grumpy:

In reality, there's plenty of stuff that I can do in the meantime on this project...