Rope start to electric start?

merkdawg0084

Chief Petty Officer
Hello, I have a 1993 Evinrude 15hp that is a rope start. If I wanted to change this over to just electric start only, No charging system!! What is required? Flywheel, solenoid, and a switch? Thx

RMClark

Petty Officer 3rd Class
I'm interested to know as well. I have a 1990 30HP Johnson with rope start. These 62 year old shoulders ain't what they used to be.

merkdawg0084

Chief Petty Officer
I looked it up on Leeroy’s ramblings, I’m seeing for my motor only. Not yours. But just a flywheel, solenoid and start button. Look on this website or marineengine.com and look up your year and hp, but look at the parts schematic for the electric start version of yours, good luck, let me know what you find.

flyingscott

Fleet Admiral
I'm interested to know as well. I have a 1990 30HP Johnson with rope start. These 62 year old shoulders ain't what they used to be.

You will need the Starter bracket ,starter and solenoid a neutral safety switch and a push button or key. I prefer the key that way you can shut it off also. Both of you leave the rope starts on. You may need the flywheel but some of them came with the ring gear

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Not many of the 93 and newer 9.9 / 15 HP came with a ring gear on rope start model.-----A donor motor is the most economical way to go.

flyingscott

Fleet Admiral
My response was for the 30 hp only because I know many of those came with the ring gears on the flywheel. I know the 9.9/15 electric start flywheel were never common.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
Hello, I have a 1993 Evinrude 15hp that is a rope start. If I wanted to change this over to just electric start only, No charging system!! What is required? Flywheel, solenoid, and a switch? Thx

its a simple 3-step cheap and easy fix

step 1, sell the motor you have for a small pile of cash
step 2, empty wallet onto small pile of cash, making pile bigger
step 3, take larger pile of cash and find the motor you want.

matt167

Captain
pretty simple on a Johnnyrude of that size. Without a charging system all you'll need is the starter, bracket, flywheel with a ring gear and some sort of switch along with battery wiring. Pretty simple stuff really. You should be able to peice it together used

merkdawg0084

Chief Petty Officer
its a simple 3-step cheap and easy fix

step 1, sell the motor you have for a small pile of cash
step 2, empty wallet onto small pile of cash, making pile bigger
step 3, take larger pile of cash and find the motor you want.

This I the motor I want. Just seeing how to convert to electric start if I wanted it. Thank you