Restoring the ID Tag

LaqueRatt

Chief Petty Officer
Just wondering if there's anything can do to an old gnarly ID tag to make it look a little better. It will never look great, but since had to take it off to re-do the transom was thinking of soaking it in vinegar or something to improve appearance before reinstalling it. Would taking a scrub brush to it make it worse?

Attachments

• Elgin 07.jpg
    Elgin 07.jpg
    109.7 KB · Views: 13
  • Elgin 08.jpg
    Elgin 08.jpg
    132 KB · Views: 13

Bondo

Staff member
Ayuh,..... I think yer more apt to wash the paint off, than makin' it look better,....

BWR1953

Vice Admiral
Just wondering if there's anything can do to an old gnarly ID tag to make it look a little better. It will never look great, but since had to take it off to re-do the transom was thinking of soaking it in vinegar or something to improve appearance before reinstalling it. Would taking a scrub brush to it make it worse?
You can have new ones made pretty cheaply. I did. And I can't find the email with the company who did the work. D'oh. But search the interwebz and you should be able to find some.

jbcurt00

Staff member
Garzon studios is 1 online place to try.

ask you local print/trophy shop if they do aluminum sublimation printing, if so, they can recreate plate and print right on an aluminum tag trimmed to match your tag. Done several dozen.

LaqueRatt

Chief Petty Officer
Guess I should mention this is a $200 boat. Not interested in getting a new tag for this old 12 footer, just wanting to make the best of what I got. My thinking is something like vinegar or baking soda (maybe both?) could neutralize the corrosion without obliterating the printing.

LaqueRatt

Chief Petty Officer
Took some soap, water, and a scrub brush to it. Helped some. Vinegar and paint thinner didn't do a thing. Looks a little better.

Attachments

• Elgin Tag 01.jpg
    Elgin Tag 01.jpg
    105.4 KB · Views: 5
  • Elgin Tag 02.jpg
    Elgin Tag 02.jpg
    116.3 KB · Views: 5