Restoring shine

pangolin

Petty Officer 3rd Class
I want to restore the shine to my boat. Can someone tell me what is going on with the area in the attached picture? Look on the rail, the left side is dull and the right side has shine and you can see the dividing line. There are other spots like this too. What am I dealing with here and how do I fix it?
Thanks

Attachments

• photo260529.JPG
    photo260529.JPG
    330.9 KB · Views: 1

ondarvr

Supreme Mariner
Looks like someone repaired that area, it may or may not have matched better when it was first done, but over time a repair typically ages differently than the surrounding gel coat and the repair becomes more noticeable.

pangolin

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Thanks for your input. I don't think it is a repair it is just like the shiny coat has completely faded away in some areas. Mostly areas with more sun exposure. But I could be wrong! What kind of repair are we talking about, gel coat repair?

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
could be gel coat repair, or it could be two different mixes of gel applied to the mold

pangolin

Petty Officer 3rd Class
How do I go about fixing it? I want it to have the same gloss if it can.

ondarvr

Supreme Mariner
About the only thing you can do re-spray the entire area, either with gel coat or paint, another option would be to get a vinyl wrap to cover it.

ondarvr

Supreme Mariner
Actually, if you just want it to be glossy again you can buff and wax it, the color may not match, but the gloss should get better.

pangolin

Petty Officer 3rd Class
I'll give that another shot with more patience. I bought some meguires polish and a random polisher hoping I could get the shine back. Thanks

Last edited:

ondarvr

Supreme Mariner
What type of random polisher do you have? the typical for automotive use type don't do much, if anything, to dull gel coat, you need something a bit more aggressive.