Restoring 1986 Sea Nymph SS155 (pics)

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner
Re: Restoring 1986 Sea Nymph SS155 (pics)

I think it's supposed to like 800RPM idle in gear in the water.

westexasrepublic

Chief Petty Officer

that graphic really makes the boat pop. excellent idea. may your summer be filled with more bikinis and beer pong

Piece715

Senior Chief Petty Officer

I think it's supposed to like 800RPM idle in gear in the water.

Yep I believe so... Now WOT was running about 4500... The Evinrude owner manual stated 4500-5500... That sound about right? Plan on adjusting the idle next time around... or ya think I should haul it back to the shop to have another go?

that graphic really makes the boat pop. excellent idea. may your summer be filled with more bikinis and beer pong

Thanks Tex! Appreciate it!

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

You're at the bottom end of the RPM range. However, we're you pretty well loaded up? You should be propped to be around 5k WOT with your typical load. If it's usually going to be lighter than it was, I wouldn't worry about it. Otherwise you may consider dropping a pitch in the future. Take it out again and kick the idle up a bit. If it's still conking out on you repeatedly, take it back to the shop.

Piece715

You're at the bottom end of the RPM range. However, we're you pretty well loaded up? You should be propped to be around 5k WOT with your typical load. If it's usually going to be lighter than it was, I wouldn't worry about it. Otherwise you may consider dropping a pitch in the future. Take it out again and kick the idle up a bit. If it's still conking out on you repeatedly, take it back to the shop.

Thanks easy... It was kinda loaded... 4 peeps, one cooler with two bags of ice and 30 cold ones, 2 six gallon tanks, 20lb worth of anchor and chain, and then a couple of bags. I figure that or less would be a typical load. I have the original aluminum prop ( 3 blade 11.75 dia. x 17 pitch) on it at the moment. Its pretty beat up. I wanted to run it with the original prop and then with my new stainless which is 3 blade 11.75 dia x 15 pitch and compare the numbers. I'll adjust the idle next time out and maybe try the stainless out as well

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

Awesome, sounds like your 15 may be ideal!

lmuss53

Lieutenant Junior Grade

If the fast idle was bringing it up, then I would just turn the idle screw in a little and see what it does. I also think you should put the 15p prop on now, running at the low end of the rpm range at WOT is another way to create that deadly lean condition.

The boat looks great, enjoy.

Piece715

If the fast idle was bringing it up, then I would just turn the idle screw in a little and see what it does. I also think you should put the 15p prop on now, running at the low end of the rpm range at WOT is another way to create that deadly lean condition.

The boat looks great, enjoy.

Two pluses on the prop now... looks like a change is in order. Adjusting the idle next trip out as well. I also have to replace bunks and hardware on newer trailer as I already have buyer for current trailer. Work never stops ;) Now how responsive should the throttle and high idle lever be? There should be no real change from neutral to in gear and the the throttle is pretty responsive from there? The high idle lever is VERY touchy like change 1000+ or so RPMs with like 1 cm movement. This may be difficult to explain just wanna make sure things are set up correctly.

lmuss53

Lieutenant Junior Grade

You hurt my head with your CM reference and then I remembered what you do for a living. I went and asked my better half (a nurse) and at the same time remembered that a CM is 100 millimeters so... .394 in American. Moving the lever almost a half inch could give you a 1000 rpm boost. Lifting the lever just moves the throttle cable forward about 1 inch or so. It opens the throttle some and advances the timing. Once you get the idle set right you won't have to mess with lever except when cold starting (hopefully). My old 55 starts almost every time with no idle advance and just a touch of choke. My 70 is more like your motor with a primer instead of choke. I hit the primer a couple of times and turn the key on that and it starts without any fast idle. As previously stated, (I think) your idle should be 800 rpm in reverse, but 900 or so in neutral is fine.

You've got the second part right on. The shifter should "pop" the motor into gear with no grinding and then with very litle additional forward movement the throttle should start to respond. The same would be perfect in reverse, but most importantly the shift should be crisp and without grinding and the throttle should not respond until the shift is complete.

You hole shot will improve with the 15 and with the motor running out to the higher RPM your top end should stay the same.

Piece715

You hurt my head with your CM reference and then I remembered what you do for a living. I went and asked my better half (a nurse) and at the same time remembered that a CM is 100 millimeters so... .394 in American. Moving the lever almost a half inch could give you a 1000 rpm boost. Lifting the lever just moves the throttle cable forward about 1 inch or so. It opens the throttle some and advances the timing. Once you get the idle set right you won't have to mess with lever except when cold starting (hopefully). My old 55 starts almost every time with no idle advance and just a touch of choke. My 70 is more like your motor with a primer instead of choke. I hit the primer a couple of times and turn the key on that and it starts without any fast idle. As previously stated, (I think) your idle should be 800 rpm in reverse, but 900 or so in neutral is fine.

You've got the second part right on. The shifter should "pop" the motor into gear with no grinding and then with very litle additional forward movement the throttle should start to respond. The same would be perfect in reverse, but most importantly the shift should be crisp and without grinding and the throttle should not respond until the shift is complete.

You hole shot will improve with the 15 and with the motor running out to the higher RPM your top end should stay the same.

Ya we take A LOT of measurements in cm.... I try to remember next time for ya Imuss :D But thanks for the info! Towards the end of the trip last weekend i was starting to understand the particulars of my motor as far as shifting and when to use the primer etc. The only frustrating thing was that it kept dying but again it would start immediately back up. So Ill adjust the idle next time and place the 15 pitch SS on and report how she does. Right now I got to do some trailer work as the buyer is still waiting for the trailer the boat is sitting on :facepalm: ITS JUST SOOO HOT OUTSIDE; Broke records the other day!

Piece715

Ok so wood is bought for bunk replacement on new to me trailer... actually fit (2) ten foot 2x4s and (2) five foot 2x4s in a 2 door 2000 Toyota Celica... and it didn't even hang past the rear bumper... BOOM how ya like them apples :D anyways plan on knocking out most of the work today... forgot the carpet so that'll be purchased today.

On a side note i need to replace the lugs on my old trailer before I sell it. They are not lug nuts... they are lug bolts... and I can't find them anywhere. I have checked advanced auto, autozone, oreilly's, wally world, etc. Bascially its a tapered bolt that holds the wheel on rather than a nut u place over a stud. I was hoping to find a local place that carries them. Pretty sure the thread hole goes all the way through the hub. Can i just buy studs and place through hole and start using nuts? I have no experience in this... should i post in trailer forum?

jasoutside

Supreme Mariner

Post up a photo of what you are working on there. I'm certain the guys over on the trailer forum can help ya.

Hey, your new avatar is awesome:cool::)

Piece715

Post up a photo of what you are working on there. I'm certain the guys over on the trailer forum can help ya.

Hey, your new avatar is awesome:cool::)

Thanks Jas! Ya i braved swimming with my iphone in my hand to get that pic and quite pleased with the turn out!

Here is the the "lug bolt" style i have 3141_st.jpg

but since i can't find those locally im thinking i can thread a lug stud 3746_st_1.jpgthrough the back side of the threaded hole in the hub and start using regular lug nuts. I will start a thread over there and see what they say.

jbcurt00

Staff member

I think these:
attachment.php

are designed to be pressed into an unthreaded hole that then grips the ridges in the slightly larger diameter section directly under the 'head' of that bolt.

I don't think you should try & thread them into the hole for the other style bolts:
attachment.php

Isn't this place in Conway? Do they carry them?

Or some of these trailer places? Napa? Or an auto recycling yard. << Short term fix unless they are the nicest lug bolts to come out of a junk yard, ever. Then swap the axle/hubs for new/better when you can.

SteelNuttz

Seaman

And I thought I was overdoing it when I spent $150 to repaint my '88 Sea Nymph Fishing Machine...

Piece715

I think these:
attachment.php

are designed to be pressed into an unthreaded hole that then grips the ridges in the slightly larger diameter section directly under the 'head' of that bolt.

I don't think you should try & thread them into the hole for the other style bolts:
attachment.php

Isn't this place in Conway? Do they carry them?

Or some of these trailer places? Napa? Or an auto recycling yard. << Short term fix unless they are the nicest lug bolts to come out of a junk yard, ever. Then swap the axle/hubs for new/better when you can.

Thanks JBcurt! I did check on the ustrailer website but the place actually sells just mainly trailers; also been by the place many times, basically just a parking lot with trailers and axles, frames, etc... couldn't find them in their parts store. When I posted in the trailer forum someone mentioned tractor supply having them. Never would have thought of that place. Ill keep searching. Makes sense about the studs... I'm not looking to put all the work into changing the hubs and axle as im selling this trailer. Just dont want to give it to the new owner with unreliable wheels.

Piece715

And I thought I was overdoing it when I spent $150 to repaint my '88 Sea Nymph Fishing Machine...

Yeah multiply that by ummm a little less than 10x and this is what ya end up with... High expectations for a broke college kid at the time... hence why it took 4 years for splash. Don't regret any penny that I spent on her.

I would love to see some pics of ur rig Steel! Sea Nymphs around these parts are few and far between but we are growing in numbers... Hopefully at some point we will rival the Starmada, but they are a close clan that we tend to have mutual respect for.... now those itchy glassers :eek: ewwwww OUR COMBINED TINNY HOARD WILL RULE THE SEAS!:rolleyes:

Joeyscarola

Seaman Apprentice

Congrats on getting her out piece!! 4 years to perfect your boat aint so bad!

jbcurt00

Staff member

Wish 1 of 3 trailers got that kind of attention from the PO's I got 'em from.

TS has tons of trailer parts & pcs, I should have thought of that too:facepalm:

Piece715

Congrats on getting her out piece!! 4 years to perfect your boat aint so bad!

Thanks buddy! Now i get to sit back and watch u get to work :D but i still got odds and ends to do... on a nice leisurely pace that is :rolleyes: