Restoring 1986 Sea Nymph SS155 (pics)

Piece715

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Re: Restoring 1986 Sea Nymph SS155 (pics)

Thanks! Good luck with yours! I'll be following

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

Nice trailer but I think too large for your boat and you wouldn't be able to move the winch stand back far enough to compensate the way it's designed.

Piece715

Ok i know another trailer but im not in a rush so just checking my options... someone just emailed me this one.... Good price but needs work... Hear is what the email said:

I am in Heber Springs and I have a 16-18? tandem axle boat trailer for sale. It needs tire(s), and the tongue is slightly bent (an easy repair). I am asking $275.
Here are the pics she sent... Thoughts?

100_3507.jpg]

100_3506.jpg

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

I wouldn't want the hassle of a dual axle for a small boat. I'm leery of older fully boxed frames too. Could be rotting from the inside-out (been there, done that).

Piece715

Now I know its been a while since I have reported on any progress. I will try to take pictures soon but I am still looking for a trailer as mine is too small. Found this one recently and working on a trade. He is asking $450 plus my trailer for this one. I offered $250-275 plus my trailer and waiting for a response. Just wondering if I'm in the ball park and if this would even work for my boat. Thanks for the help; Link below:

http://littlerock.craigslist.org/boa/2709789476.html

LonLB

Petty Officer 1st Class

Now I know its been a while since I have reported on any progress. I will try to take pictures soon but I am still looking for a trailer as mine is too small. Found this one recently and working on a trade. He is asking $450 plus my trailer for this one. I offered $250-275 plus my trailer and waiting for a response. Just wondering if I'm in the ball park and if this would even work for my boat. Thanks for the help; Link below:

http://littlerock.craigslist.org/boa/2709789476.html

Hard to say....In my neck of the woods, you could buy that for $200, or $600 depending on who is selling. You would just have to keep an eye out for the best deal, as the good ones don't pop up all the time.
Find the right guy, and make a deal.
I traded an older, smaller trailer even up for the one I have now.
http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=454436&page=5&p=3478378&viewfull=1#post3478378

Post 117

BTW I had to move the bunks out a little, cut off the guides on the sides, and move the winch stand, But honestly, you can't buy a trailer and it fit the boat perfect, unless your boat was already on it.

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

I think that trailer will work. Your offer is much more realistic than his. I wouldn't pay $400 unless it was galvanized.

Just keep in mind, before you possibly buy a trailer that needs some work, that a brand new trailer really isn't that expensive. I got a quote for a new galvanized trailer for my boat for like $1200. If you sink $400 into a used one and have to put lights and/or tires and/or axle work into it, you'd probably be better off going new. (I am fully aware though that $1200 is not pocket change)

Piece715

Well probably gonna have to pass. He just responded with no thanks. Asked how much he was looking for and came back with $450 again. That's just too much, it was $450 flat out then that's something different but not with my trailer as well. And the search continues...

Thanks for the info LonLB and EZ!

@EZ: I looked at a couple of new trailers and took into account work that would have to be done to an old trailer. One of these days I'll break down and just buy something but for now I'm just taking my time lookin for a deal. Just wished I had noticed the trailer issue when I rebuilt the one I had because fitting the boat now is gonna be tough. Thanks again

Piece715

Okie Dokie, yes I'm still around and trucking along. Kinda hit a stall point looking for a trailer. So here is yet another trailer post and I think we could have a match or at least a decent fit. If you have had experience with these trailers please leave some info. Its an ad on craiglist:

Glastron for 14-16 ft. boat
White with P205175R14 tires includes spare tire.
All new lights
Excellent condition
Asking price negotiable. $500

2012-02-08_09-26-46_928.jpg
2012-02-08_09-26-34_44.jpg
2012-02-08_09-27-04_722.jpg

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

That is an excellent trailer. GRAB IT NOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

I agree!! A full bunk trailer with 14" tires that looks to be in good shape other than the wood on the side steps. I'd say thats a deal.

Piece715

Well I really really want and need this trailer but speaking to the current owner he does not have a title and states he never did. If he isn't the original owner I'm kinda up S*** creek without a paddle. The state of Arkansas requires a title in order for a trailer to be tagged and registered and only original owner can get duplicate title. Not sure what to do if he isn't the original owner and if he doesn't know who was? Anyone have any experience in this? I hear the process can be long and expensive and honestly not sure if its worth the hassle despite the great deal. AHHHHH WHY!!!!!!?

Piece715

I'm also guessing if the boat came from a no title state I'm guessing if I buy it I would be able to apply for a title in Arkansas?! Anybody out there been in this situation?

Pmccraney

Lieutenant Commander

I seem to think JDA (skeeter thread) is an arkansas resident and knows the skinny on titling/registering a trailer there. I know it was no big deal at all in Mississippi. We don't even title trailers - regardless of weight. When I went to register it to get the trailer tag, I didn't even have the serial number. The lady just told me to make one up and so I did. Walked out with my trailer tag. I wouldn't sweat it too much...

In most states that are title states, you can apply for and receive a title once you have paid taxes on it for 2 years.

LonLB

Petty Officer 1st Class

Well I really really want and need this trailer but speaking to the current owner he does not have a title and states he never did. If he isn't the original owner I'm kinda up S*** creek without a paddle. The state of Arkansas requires a title in order for a trailer to be tagged and registered and only original owner can get duplicate title. Not sure what to do if he isn't the original owner and if he doesn't know who was? Anyone have any experience in this? I hear the process can be long and expensive and honestly not sure if its worth the hassle despite the great deal. AHHHHH WHY!!!!!!?

Tell them you built the trailer yourself, and apply for a new trailer title

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

Well that's a bummer. I'm sure there are ways around it but he has some big balls selling a trailer for $500 he has NO paperwork on.

Piece715

So I ended up with the trailer for $440 plus he threw in a free towable tube. He and his wife talked to both Arkansas state police and the Dept of Finance (DMV). There is a manufacturers sticker on it but where the VIN number should be there is nothing there its just blank. They were informed by both the police and DMV that since there is no VIN number or readable VIN that I would just have to apply for a homemade trailer title which shouldn't be a hassle. So new trailer is parked in the yard! Now just gotta get rid of this weather so I can redo the bunks and perform the little touch ups that it needs. Its a heavy duty trailer with weight of 2750lbs and was manufactured 1986. I noticed very little rust which is a HUGE plus; lights all work, parking, brake, blinkers etc.; it just needs a facelift and new bunks. My boat should fit nicely if i didn't screw my measurements up.

NOW i do have a question... Does anyone one have an easy way to adjust the new trailer to fit my boat as far as the bunks are concerned. Ill have to float the boat to switch the trailers but is this gonna be a trial and error thing or is there a way to align the bunks to fit my boat without spending an hour at the boat ramp?

2012-02-08_09-26-34_44.jpg

2012-02-08_09-26-46_928.jpg

2012-02-08_09-27-04_722.jpg

@Woodonglass: Actually the worst part of the trailer was the bunks, that wood by the fenders is actually quite solid. Crappy paint job on it but nothing a light sand and new coat couldn't fix, not to mention the whole trailer is rattle can white ;)