Restoring 1986 Sea Nymph SS155 (pics)

Piece715

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Re: Restoring 1986 Sea Nymph SS155 (pics)

@EZ: Ya we mounted the consoles and then mocked the windshield... as i looked at it without the windshield i thought i was in trouble... but when mocked up i lucked out. There is just a small gap at two areas on either side of the windshield which ill be able to shim. I'll try to post some pics of what im talking about later. Purchased some nice think weatherstripping. Need to order the new foot pieces for the supports and the stripping that covers the screws... whats that called by the way? all iboats sells is white.. i think

bouttime007

Chief Petty Officer

I forgot you arent using the SeaNymph windshield.

The dash consoles dont run straight (level) across, they start flush with the aluminum trim then angle up towards the walk through. There is an angled piece of wood on mine that tapers to nothing at the walk through to make the windshield level. Dont really know why they did it this way....

Mine is an 84, so maybe they changed the design by 86 too.

Piece715

No i think mine is exactly like yours... when the ends are mounted flush the top of the console has a slant to it. The windshield I have for it came from a 1989 Sea Arrow; guess they did the slants for water drainage or something. I'm gonna have to use some wood if the gaps can't be filled with weather stripping

Piece715

Well here are some pics of the progress... the past week A LOT has been done. Don't have many pics though... ill try to get more today. Finally got the sewing machine running and made the gunnel pads for the bow seating. The mother told me if you can run power tools u can run a sewing machine..... YA RIGHT but i think i got it now....The motor is mounted with the help of a tractor and 4 friends. Windshield is done, bow seating is re-cut and stained (thanks Bouttime for the hint), Rear speaker holes cut, splashwell 3/4 in place, bilge pump mounted, cleats and bow light mounted, throttle mounted and cables run.... I'm sure I'm missin something but anyways here are a couple pics i shot with my phone... more to follow

Attachments

• photo.jpg
    photo.jpg
    111.8 KB · Views: 0
  • photo(3).jpg
    photo(3).jpg
    138.9 KB · Views: 0
  • photo(2).jpg
    photo(2).jpg
    107.4 KB · Views: 0
  • photo(1).jpg
    photo(1).jpg
    90.4 KB · Views: 0

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

The combing pads looks great. I hope the misspelling of Evinrude was intentional......

Piece715

Ya about that.... the painter did it and well im not sure it was... at least it says custom under it.... The painter and I were friends and had a deal goin with the painting... I was to pay for all materials and I went out there every night to help, bought dinner, etc. We used house of kolor materials throughout as they have a contest for prestigious artist of the year. We were to do the boat documenting everything and submit it for the contest. Well when it came time for the motor the painters girlfriend called me and was asking for thousands of dollars for all the work that he did... I was taken back... basically they got into financial trouble and saw me as a scape goat. Sooo when I went and picked up the boat I wrote a check for the agreed amount plus materials and we parted ways. Only when i got home did i realize the "EVENRUDE" and a ton of runs in the clear... The Evenrude has custom under soooo yep gotta live with it...

Thanks EZ ... Tryin to sew a straight stitch is not an easy task... For my 1st sewing machine experience Ill chalk it up for a 'W'

Piece715

Ok need help... i'm about to start my research on wiring which is gonna entail a bunch of reading but i figured I'd see if anyone has tackled the process and could post some helpful hints or diagrams, threads that have good info etc. Any help would be greatly appreciated... Remember i know squat about this... all i know is im goin two batteries... one deep cycle for stereo and accessories and then a starting battery... Again i know this topic has been hit to death and i will be doing some searches

Piece715

Ok thats a little broad and found great diagrams while search... pretty sure I can handle the set up but what materials? what AWG should I be buying for the basic stuff such as lights accessories etc.; What bout stereo... anyone have any ideas? I'll keep researching dont u worry! Thanks

Piece715

What type of swith panel you using/# of switches EZ. I have a list of the things i want switches for but i think its too much for my boat.. The main things im looking at are: Main power, Bilge, Nav Lights, Int lights, Stereo, Sprayer bar, Horn, Accessories... Opinions?

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

I have VERY limited dash space. I currently just have a couple push pull switches and a momentary. Lights, bilge, horn. I don't really NEED a switch for anything else. There are a TON of different switch panels available, not sure what all I'd have room for.

Piece715

Now im guessing with a Terminal Blade Fuse Block a switch panel with fuse incorporated would not be needed correct? Or would it be a good back up or just overkill?

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

I think it would be overkill.

Piece715

Found this searching around on the web... http://www.kroescorp.com/Other/ABYC-E-11.pdf... could help in the our efforts EZ

I'm still trying to figure this stuff out... wire size, fuses, switch panels, grounds... A Basic "How to" thread would be awesome right bout now :rolleyes:

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

You could just post up in the electrical section and Silvertip could yell at you. That would be fun!

Page 72 of that file is helpful.

Piece715

I've thought bout it... but the wrath that could ensue...:facepalm:

Piece715

Here is a link i found trying to find the "12v Bible for Boats"

http://motoren.ath.cx/

It has an electrical guide called "The 12 Volt Doctor's Practical Handbook for the boat's electric system", alternator guide called "The 12 Volt Doctor's Alternator Book", and manuals im guessing on diesels

Some of it is in Dutch... not sure what all i was looking at with the diesel stuff but the 12v handbook is nice
Maybe someone can tell me if its a good resource for other things as well?

bouttime007

Chief Petty Officer

Ok thats a little broad and found great diagrams while search... pretty sure I can handle the set up but what materials? what AWG should I be buying for the basic stuff such as lights accessories etc.; What bout stereo... anyone have any ideas? I'll keep researching dont u worry! Thanks

I just hooked up my stereo using AWG 14 and it works fine. AWG 12 would probably have been a little better, but hey. I ran it right to my 2nd battery under the bow seats, with a toggle to kill all power at the end of the day.

You could probably run most of your doo-dads on AWG 12. (lights/stereo/bilge/fish finder)

My Nymph has a 3 switch panel on the drivers dash with Lights/Bilge/Accessories. Its a factory installed switch panel.

bouttime007

Chief Petty Officer

Just figure out what the amp draw is of whatever you are installing, and figure out the length of the wire you will need.

AWG 12 wire can handle 20 amps for a 10 foot length, and 25 amps for 6 feet or less. Im guessing you will be all set with that with your doo-dads unless youre putting in a stereo amp. If so, then grab some AWG 1/0 for that.