Restore Project... 1973 Fiberglas Starcraft Capri 15

ShepC719

Cadet
photo(8).JPGphoto(12).JPG

Ok I split the boat yesterday and got most of the rotten floor out of the boat. Once I got to looking it was obvious that the stringers were shot as well. I have a question though... Does anyone know the dimensions of the stringers? They are so rotten that there is no way I can get any idea of the dimensions. Also the Fiberglas on the transom has been cracked. What would be the best way to fix this? Thanks... I will post pictures so you can get an idea of the project.

Attachments

• photo(10).JPG
    photo(10).JPG
    49.4 KB · Views: 1
  • photo(14).JPG
    photo(14).JPG
    39.1 KB · Views: 1
  • photo(15).JPG
    photo(15).JPG
    50.9 KB · Views: 1

rickryder

Commander
Re: Restore Project... 1973 Fiberglas Starcraft Capri 15

Hi Shep Welcome to The Dry Dock!

If you use a photo bucket or image shack account you can use the forum code to insert larger pics so us old guys can see them ;)

To figure your stringer heights leave a line where the original deck was......run a straight edge across from gunwale to gunwale and measure down to the hull.....that measurement minus the thickness of your new deck material...1/2" 5/8" or 3/4" ply....will give to the height of the stringer...Move along the deck area from aft to bow and measure every foot or so and transfer those numbers to some cardboard and connect the dots....Then it can be trimmed or scribed and trimmed to fit ;)

You will need to remove the inside wood core of the transom repair the glass shell inside and out and install new wood and glass over it....I would get it all gutted and go from there.

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

Well, not sure why you started another thread for your project but... RR has you started in the right direction. The First link in my signature below, has drawings and good info on how to fabricate your Deck, Stringers and transom. You need to be taking a Lot or measurements NOW so in case the hull flexes, and it will, you will be able to get it back to the origingal dimensions and ensure the top of the boat will fit back onto the hull. We will be here to guide and instruct you on all the details. As long as you're willing to do the work and follow everyones guidance you'll be fine.

ShepC719

Cadet

The other day I called a guy that does restore work, and asked him for ideas on amounts of material I may need to complete the work on the stringers, transom, and deck. He told me that in order to install the stringers and to do the glass work on them I would most likely need 5 gallons of resin, plus glass, and adhesive. Then it would most likely take another gallon of resin for the transom. I was suprised at the amount of resin, but since I have never done this type of work before I figured I would ask you guys who have done this more than once for a second opinion. Can someone give me at least a starting point for buying materials. 5 gallons seems like a lot for the stringers, but like I said I have never done this before, and I want to make sure I have all of my ducks in a row so I don't mess anything up. I have read your link on fabricating decks, stringers, and transoms. I'm just looking for some kind of starting point. Thanks for your help and I hope to hear back soon!!!!

rickryder

Commander

Well pretty much a gallon of resin will wet out about 4 square yards of 1.5oz csm or 1708 biax.... once you figure the size of your stringers,transom,bulkheads and deck....X how many layers of cloth it adds up quick.... I did my 21' boat without the transom and went through 12 gallons of resin....