Replacing throttle controls

Status
Not open for further replies.

magicman1223

Seaman
I already asked in the mercury outboard section with no luck.

I am thinking it may be time to replace the side mount throttle control on my 2001 tahoe q3 with a 125 mercury outboard after taking the boat out this week and the neutral button once again sticking. I was wondering if anyone has replaced their controls and if so how hard was it. I was looking at the http://www.iboats.com/Teleflex-Side-...-view_id.49233 . In the picture i do not any thing on the back of the controls were my cables would go into. Is that box included and maybe just except from the picture ? Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

yourboatmyboat

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Re: Replacing throttle controls

Push in the neutral button, push shift handle all the way forward, at this point you should be able to use a very small screw driver or a thin blade to stick in to pry the neutral button all the way out to clean over the years build up out. You may want to put a couple drops of thin oil on the small end before replacing. To replace bring the shift handle back to neutral , line up the button notches with the groves in the handle and push back in.

magicman1223

Seaman

I think that may have done the trick. I will test it on the water :)

yourboatmyboat

Petty Officer 3rd Class

keep me posted. There should be no reason to change the control box

magicman1223

Seaman

Worked great. Took the boat out today and was able to rev the motor and switch into gear :D!

jamesxx

Recruit
On Tahoe q3 what would be involved if only wanted to replace the trim switch on the control/throttle arm?
Thanks

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
On Tahoe q3 what would be involved if only wanted to replace the trim switch on the control/throttle arm?
Thanks

Good question. You might get an answer by by starting a thread of your own instead of posting a 9+ year old dead thread. Another hint - Don't start the thread in the Tahoe section. Tahoe buys remote controls and simply sticks then their boats, just like the motors. Start the thread here - https://forums.iboats.com/forum/boat-repair-and-restoration/steering-and-controls

Closed.

Status
Not open for further replies.