Replacing Keel rollers

demarko210

Chief Petty Officer
@Chris1956 I am replacing the ubolts all of them. The Ubolts, should they be 304 stainless, hot dipped galvanized? I am seeing some other materials also.

The paint is hard to come by in the pint size but I found some on amazon for 68. Like you said mostly spray can in the store. I know that will kill my fingers but readily available. Should I paint the ubolts with this compound?

I also need to change the top angle brackets. So I have a job ahead of me at this point. Probably would be quicker just to cut the bolts off one by one with cut off wheel. I did place some premium oil on the bolts a few days ago.

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner
The u-bolts will likely snap when you go to remove them. As long as they are not too thick, breaking them is probably easier than cutting them off.

HD Gavanized is a reasonable replacement. Concentrate the paint on the areas that are rusty or look like they are close to rusting. Use a wire brush to remove any surface rust, before painting.

demarko210

Chief Petty Officer
After shopping on Amazon for those U-bolts and ordering a set to see the quality, I decided to send them suckers back. I do not see them lasting a third long as the original hardware. I went back to easterns marine for the original ubolts. Have to say damn on the cost difference and dont even come with the lock nuts and bracket.

airshot

Rear Admiral
My local Home Depot has a good assortment of galvanized bolts and nuts including U bolts of various sizes. You might check them out.

demarko210

Chief Petty Officer
My local Home Depot has a good assortment of galvanized bolts and nuts including U bolts of various sizes. You might check them out.
I am going to go ahead and get the original that came on the trailer. I dont see anything else lasting as long.

demarko210

Chief Petty Officer
So I am having a hell of a time finding ubolts brackets. I called etrailer and they showed me these. I told the rep. not what I am looking for as I told them it was for 12 roller and bracket and they came up with these. I showed them the part I am installing and told them it was for a 3" frame.

Eastern Trailer have the factory ubolts and nuts/washer but do not have the bracket that has the same hole on center measurements. Went to my local hardware store Hyatt Builder supply and they had nothing I could use there as a bracket the would not corrode. Probably could use on the keel roller bracket ubolts but not on the bunk ubolts.

dingbat

Supreme Mariner
So I am having a hell of a time finding ubolts brackets. I called etrailer and they showed me these. I told the rep. not what I am looking for as I told them it was for 12 roller and bracket and they came up with these. I showed them the part I am installing and told them it was for a 3" frame.

Eastern Trailer have the factory ubolts and nuts/washer but do not have the bracket that has the same hole on center measurements. Went to my local hardware store Hyatt Builder supply and they had nothing I could use there as a bracket the would not corrode. Probably could use on the keel roller bracket ubolts but not on the bunk ubolts.
If your trailer is a Loadrite, they changed how the bunk brackets are attached
Finger channel pos-lock-3”

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner
Well, I a real surprised you are having trouble getting galv u-bolts at that place. They are pretty generic, in my mind.

I would expect you could order them on the web. Maybe not as cheap as Amazon, but they should be available from a fastener place.

I always bought replacement parts including u-bolts at places like EM, or the local hardware store. I never had any issue.

demarko210

Chief Petty Officer
@Chris1956 I went with these ubolts for the keel roller brackets. I have not received them yet so I dont know the quality. But they look good in the image. Most of the ones on Amazon are cheap shinny 304 SS. I did purchase some with the bracket but when I weighed the unbolt and compared to the original ones same diameter the Amazon was almost half the weight and same diameter. I sent those back quick.

demarko210

Chief Petty Officer
I actually purchase these to see if they will fit. If not I will send them back. I have the 3 keel roller brackets off. I actually sent back those keel roller w/mounting bracket I purchase (3 $61) and just bought the roller and end caps and a threaded rod. I will clean up and reuse the old one.
1704971093004.png

Last edited:

demarko210

Chief Petty Officer
@dingbat
I have not started the bunk unbolts yet. FOr those Ubolts I will order from EastM the originals to hold the weight of the boat. Plus the bunk Ubolts do not need the bracket. I did order the 12 swivel brackets though.

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner
Gee, I thought it a count, wire brush and paint as the first step. Now as the final step, order the right parts, receive and install the new hardware. The OP made it more complicated than I thought it should be. JMO

demarko210

Chief Petty Officer
So the old plates I got a real good look at them even though I already ordered the new ones. The old plates are still good just surface rust. Everything is here to replace the rollers except the Ubolts. I will post some images later today.