Replacing Floor/remodeling 1986 1650 Capri

87bayliner

Cadet
Re: Replacing Floor/remodeling 1986 1650 Capri

Looks awesome. I just recently purchased an 87 capri that i will be starting on this weekend. I love the way you are doing your front deck. Looks like it's coming along great and can't wait to see the finished product. You have given me motivation to start on mine! Lol!

jwirwin78

Seaman Apprentice

Got more resin in a couple days ago. So, I took all of the bare wood back out and started coating it. I've got the framing for the deck glassed in, and hope to get the deck in today if the framing hardens enough before dark.

16bdeckframingglassed.jpg

16adeckframing.jpg

jwirwin78

Seaman Apprentice

I also put down a 6" strip of fiber glass tape all around the floor yesterday. Solid as a rock.

vernonbean

Seaman Apprentice

How thick are you going with the resin? I am by no means a fiberglass expert, but IMO, you should have used some glass on the wood. I'd just be too afraid of the resin cracking and letting water seep into it again. When I start glassing in my wood, I'm going to fiberglass every square inch of plywood. Call me overzealous, but I don't plan on letting mother nature rot out the boat again.

jwirwin78

Seaman Apprentice

I considered glassing all of the wood. After some careful thought I decided against it. First, Bayliner didn't do it to begin with, and it lasted 25 years without being properly protected when not in use. Second, it would add a significant amount of weight to the boat, serving only to slow it down. Finally, hat is a significant amount of extra work. If the wood is well treated (3 coats of epoxy in my case) then properly covered and protected from the elements, there is no reason why I won't get another decade or more out of the boat. The motor will be so far gone by then, and I hope to be able to get a new bigger boat long before the rot comes back.

vernonbean

Seaman Apprentice

You've got a good point. I know it'll add quite a bit of weight, that's why I'm going to try to even it out with extra foam shoved into every crevice that I can afford it to be in. Good luck, though. I wanna see more pics...

jwirwin78

Seaman Apprentice

That will help counter the sinkability, but it still will effect speed performance a bit. I don't think you'll be effected that much though. If you are going to pour foam vice using insulation styrofoam from a home improvement store (which I've heard is very effective) then I suggest you go to uscomposites.com. excellenct prices for the two part foam mix to REALLY fill in everything. Since I'm going to eventually add the compartments to my deck, it will take away more of my foam space, so I will use the pour foam to get in there all around my compartments. Good luck with your project. If you post pics and think to post a reply on here, I'd like to see your rebuild. Always enjoy seeing a good project.

vernonbean

Seaman Apprentice

I already ordered all my stuff from uscomposites. They do have some good prices. I think I went overkill on everything, though. 50 yards of mat. 25 yards of cloth. 10 gals of resin. 80lb kit of foam. It's only a 16 foot boat lol. I tend to do that a lot, though. Rather have 10x more than I need than be short even 1%. I have a link to my restoration thread in my signature.

jwirwin78

Seaman Apprentice

Over the past few days I got a lot done. Glassed in the deck, carpeted the two front pieces, (I'm bolting those down instead of glassing, so I can get them back out if need be), and glassed in the rest of the engine compartment (no pic of that). I'm getting really close. Working on the livewell situation next, then the two compartments on the deck. No more work for this weekend. Going to the lake (renting a pontoon since I still don't have a functional boat).

17adeckglassedin.jpg

17bcarpeting.jpg

17ccarpeting2.jpg

Osage76

Seaman Apprentice

What happend the thread just died.... I have my interior stripped but I Am concerned about the stringers. They appear solid except at the very rear of the bilge and one is a little rotten up front at the frame directly ahead of the ski locker... Can I remove the bad sections and cut then glass in replacement wood in the bad section only or do I have to replace the whole stringer? Also Are you folks putting cloth over the floor after you seal it and set it down then covering with epoxy or are you just sealing the deck and putting epoxy and cloth at the seams?

jwirwin78

Seaman Apprentice

Sorry to everyone following this post for it's inactivity. I've been between duty stations for the last two months and still haven't moved into my new house. There has been some progress. Got livewell in, with areator/ fill pump, got the compartments done on the deck, and everything is about ready to carpet. I'm posting this with my phone, but will catch up on pics and progress in a week or two when I'm settled in.
As for the stringer question: I would probably replace the whole stinger as it is the "Single Solid" piece of wood that provides the stringer with strength and integrity. I just epoxied all the wood and glassed with cloth at the seems. It added a lot of weight, and I think clothing everything would really make it heavy. I put mine in the water last week and it sits a noticeable amount lower. Of course I did add extra weight with the added deck and compartment configuration. Whatever you decide, I hope it works well for you. I can answer more questions if you have any, but keep in mind, they are opinion answers based on my limited experience and a lot of reading. Always glad to help though.

Last edited:

jwirwin78

Seaman Apprentice

Last edited:

lowvlot

Petty Officer 1st Class

Great job so far. I too am in the process of doing a restoration on a 87 capri cuddy cabin. 17'. I almost have the entire deck out and then can continue with the rebuild. Keep the thread going. I am very interested in the finished product.

jwirwin78

Seaman Apprentice

So, again I let a long time go by without updates. I'll try to catch up completely in the next day or two, but no promises. Here are some progress pics. Please excuse the dirt on things, I did take it out, and didn't clean it up for photos.

Deck compartments:

I fiberglassed in some custome boxes. The ledge around the top is 1x4. I'll loosen the screws to fold the deck carpet under and between the deck and ledges when I carpet, then tighten it back up. That will be doable because the carpet seams together easily, so if I cut a small flap over each screw, you wont be able to tell it is seamed back together when I glue the flap back down. By the way, the anchor compartment lid ledge is just sitting in there. thats why it looks all uneven and out of place.

18aStorage.jpg

18bStorage.jpg

jwirwin78

Seaman Apprentice

Livewell:

For the livewell, I bought a really good "marine" igloo cooler. I used PVC and some marine grade silicone/glue to make a fill/areator across the top (lots of little holes facing down to jet water in and areate). There is a drain hole that feeds down into by bilge. I can just drain it when I drain the boat after fishing. There is an overflow near the top inside the cooler that feeds to the side of the boat. the cosmetic drain fitting (not pictured), just like a bilge pump drain, can be bought just about anywhere. I installed a 800 gpm pump in the stern that feeds it, and a switch on the dash in the extra "wiper" hole, since my boat doesn't have wipers. on the outside of the stern, I covered the pump inlet with a good bulb screen.
19aLivewell.jpg

19bLivewell.jpg

19cLivewell.jpg

19dLivewell.jpg

19eLivewell.jpg

19fLivewell.jpg

jwirwin78

Seaman Apprentice

I drilled three holes in the deck near the bow and epoxied in nuts (the kind with hooks that dig into wood) to the underside. they are somewhat randomly placed up there, but spread out well. My intension is that once I get a trolling motor, I can mount and board or bracket I want to the wholes, and then mount the trolling motor to the bracket/board.

21trollingmotormount.jpg

lowvlot

Petty Officer 1st Class

I really wish I could see the pics.

jwirwin78

Seaman Apprentice

I accidentally moved the photobucket pics to a sub folder after I loaded them to the forum here. I'll fix it when I get home.

jwirwin78

Seaman Apprentice

Firewall:

Next I closed off the rest of the deck with the firewall.
20firewall.jpg

jwirwin78

Seaman Apprentice

I've got most of the lower deck carpted now. Finally strting to clean up and look good. Pics coming this weekend, after I get back from fishing tomorrow and clean it up a bit.