Replacing Floor/remodeling 1986 1650 Capri

geedubcpa

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Replacing Floor/remodeling 1986 1650 Capri

You can always set the t-nuts before you fiberglass and then coat those areas with glass - Probably would need to run a bolt through to clear out any glass residue on the tnuts.

jwirwin78

Seaman Apprentice

I got home today and put another coat of paint on the ski locker, and another coat of resin on the floor pieces (probably over-kill). A few hours later, I was going to put the back floor piece in, but realized I almost forgot to put the gas trank back in. So, I cleaned it up, and got it set back in.

NOTE: Full gas tanks are hard to deal with. :redface: I almost took a finger off trying to drop it into its tight fitting place; a lot of bleeding. Good stopping point. I put some pieces of treadmill floor pad under the tank to eliminate rattling.
8aGastankin.jpg

dorelse

Chief Petty Officer

Good to see another 1986 Capri rebuild thread! Looks familiar!

P5270020.JPG

You can see my rebuild in my Sig. link below.

jwirwin78

Seaman Apprentice

Good to see another 1986 Capri rebuild thread! Looks familiar!

You can see my rebuild in my Sig. link below.

I actually checked yours out quite a few times before I got started. I like what you did with it. It Came out nice. Ever get any feedback from new owner on how the durabax was holding up?

dorelse

Chief Petty Officer

I actually checked yours out quite a few times before I got started. I like what you did with it. It Came out nice. Ever get any feedback from new owner on how the durabax was holding up?

No I didn't...in fact, I haven't heard from him at all, so I'm not sure if that's good or bad!

jwirwin78

Seaman Apprentice

Tonight, I am going to atleast get the floor piece over the gas tank in place. Not sure about glassing it in, but atleast set in place to make me feel like progress is there.

badkins50

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Tonight, I am going to atleast get the floor piece over the gas tank in place. Not sure about glassing it in, but atleast set in place to make me feel like progress is there.

See now that's when I pull out the old pictures to see the before and during progress to show what's been done. Use to help me when I was doing my project and it felt like it would never get done.

jwirwin78

Seaman Apprentice

I set the floor pieces in. They fit pretty well.
9aFloorSetin.jpg

Now the plan is to use this fiberglass mesh, which tears apart into fluffy mess, to stuff the seams. Then I'll soak it through with resin and coat with the 2" fiberglass tape. I might go over the whole seam with 6" 12oz fiberglass for a second coat.

9bfiberglassmesh.jpg

9ccrackstuffed.jpg

This is just laid out. No resin tonight.
9d2infibertape.jpg

Also ordered my liquid foam from USComposites.com after a heads up on a cheap place to get foam from user "opalized" in another thread. http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=386786

jwirwin78

Seaman Apprentice

Today I glassed in the back half of the floor. I stuffed the seams with the fiberglass mesh, soaked like crazy, toped with 2" fiberglass tape, soak more, and here we are. It came out pretty good. once I have the front piece glassed in too, I'll go over it all with 6" fiberglass tape, maybe two layers, to make sure it is good and solid. the seat pedestal bases will be in 5 days from now. Once installed, I'll glass in the front floor piece.

backdeckglassed.jpg

backdeckglassed2.jpg

jwirwin78

Seaman Apprentice

Yesterday my seat mount bases came in. I managed to get them in last night. So today I can glass in the front part of the floor, then go over the entire egde a time or two with the 6" wide fiberglass tape.

11aseatmounts.jpg

I resined the holes the bases sit in and resined in each of the bolt holes, and on the surface under the washers. Then I put some over all the bolts once tightened, and around the edge of base on top. I managed to get all that resin slung with tightened bolts on both bases with the same batch of resin. In Yuma AZ, where it's already breaking mid 90's, that was moving and shaking to beat the gel'ing. :)
11bunderseatmount.jpg

jwirwin78

Seaman Apprentice

I got the whole floor glassed in now. Next I'll go around the edges with 6" fiberglass tape a couple times. I'm out of Fiberlay resin, so I guess I'll start building that front end or engine cover while I wait for more resin to come in.

12aWholeFloorResined.jpg

milmat1

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Good Thread...Subscribed !

Bigbobdallas

Seaman

I am getting ready to do a little work on mine. Did you use Marine plywood on your floor? By the way you are doing a great job.

jwirwin78

Seaman Apprentice

I am getting ready to do a little work on mine. Did you use Marine plywood on your floor? By the way you are doing a great job.

Many people speak of "marine" grade wood, and being a US Marine, I have to say, I don't know what wood they are talking about. LOL. Just kidding.

Jokes aside, it is recommended by many people to use marine grade wood, but that is generally for purposes where the wood will be exposed, like if you are crafting wood trim, or larger scope, a wooden boat like a canoe.
For purposes like this, it is important to use exterior grade wood, because the glue/wood combination is more suited to weather and changing climate. The only trick is to make sure to coat it thoroughly with resin, maybe even fiberglass too, to ensure no moisture gets into it. Once moisture finds its way in below the resin, it will expand, crack the resin, let more water in, cycle, cycle, etc... floor is rotted again.

All of the above is only my interpretation from speaking to some experienced people and doing some research. I am certainly no expert, but it is a fun project.

jwirwin78

Seaman Apprentice

I used some more styrofoam to make a pattern for the upper deck today.

13adeckpattern.jpg

Then I got the deck cut. Fits nice. When I get more resin in, I'll coat it. In the mean time, I have some framing to build under the deck for support, and the front face wall.

13bdeck.jpg

jwirwin78

Seaman Apprentice

I still need to make the little piece of the deck at the nose too. Too bad plywood doesn't come in 8'x8' sheets.

jwirwin78

Seaman Apprentice

I finished cutting out the rest of the deck and got two pieces of framing for underneith cut to length and height (still got to cut the fun part where they taper into the hull near the nose). Progress is great though. My ski/fish hybrid vision is coming alive.
14adecktop.jpg

jwirwin78

Seaman Apprentice

I got the trim under the windshield and on the sides of the walkthrough cut. Its loking more and more like a boat every day. I'm in the middle of moving now, so progress is slow.

15aWindsheildTrim.jpg

vernonbean

Seaman Apprentice

Looking good. I'm redoing my bayliner right now, too. Still in the grinding glass process. Anyways, I'm thinking about doing my bow like you did yours. Mine would be more of a laying out and diving deck than it would be used for fishing, though. Good work.