Replacing Floor/remodeling 1986 1650 Capri

jwirwin78

Seaman Apprentice
So, I knew when I bought this older boat, that the floor was a little creaky and had few weak spots. I kept getting wood chips caught in the bilge pump, and thought it was coming from the rotting wood along the trim. SO, I started with the transom trim and replaced that wood.
I sealed the seams with caulk, and put calk on the screws before putting them in, and sealed it all with a poly paint. I used carriage bolts to put it back on instead of Bayliner's preferred wood screws.
It was a good start. Then things got crazy...

1arot.jpg

1ctransom2.jpg

1btransom.jpg

erikgreen

Captain
Re: Replacing Floor/remodeling 1986 1650 Capri

Hmm.. not to dampen your spirits, but you shouldn't use caulk anywhere in a boat (okay, there are technically a couple places, but not to seal the hull).

Standard RTV silicone shrinks when it dries. It won't provide a good seal in a boat, although it does ok in a house (that never moves).

It also leaves a residue that must be removed with a special chemical before you can glue anything to that wood again, or in some cases paint.

Post some more info on your boat, sounds like a good story coming :)

Erik

jwirwin78

Seaman Apprentice
Replacing Floor/remodeling 1986 1650 Capri

I decided to see what was under the carpet. Sometimes it's better to not know.
Notice the metal plates over the big rot spot in center stern. Someone's quick fix was to cover the hole with metal and carpet.
After seeing all of this I decided that complete removal was the only way to go.

Carpet removed
2aCarpetup-front.jpg

Port Stern Damage
2bportsterndamage.jpg

Starboard Stern Damage
2csternstarboarddamage.jpg

Center Stern Damage covered
2dsterncenterdamage1.jpg

Center Stern Damage uncovered
2esterncenterdamage2.jpg

jwirwin78

Seaman Apprentice

Commander:
"Hmm.. not to dampen your spirits, but you shouldn't use caulk anywhere in a boat (okay, there are technically a couple places, but not to seal the hull)."

I agree. but before I got knee deep into this, it seemed like a good way to go. Now I am becoming a fiberlay pro over night. lol. The transom piece will be the only peice that gets done like that, but it is just trim, I'm not referring to the actual transom mount wood.

jwirwin78

Seaman Apprentice

I niavely began cutting away at the fibered in wood with my "high speeed" dremel tool. I got the first pic done in about an hour.

3aremoving1.jpg

Then, as with every new project, you get to buy new tools. YAY. got a roto-zip heavy duty rotary cutting tool. Now we are talking.
Removed seats, floor, etc. Uncovered more damage along the way.

3bremoving2.jpg

3cremovedportseat.jpg

3dremoving3.jpg

3eremoved4.jpg

jwirwin78

Seaman Apprentice

GET A RESPIRATOR if you are going to do a project like this. Cutting all of the fiberglass causes seriously dangerous dust. plus, you'll need it when you start working with the poly-resin.

jwirwin78

Seaman Apprentice

Got the floor all out, and now I'm ready to build it back.
4areadyforrepair.jpg

The floor plan drawing was done in microsoft paint. Not easy, but came out cool. It does not depict trim or upholstery. That will come later.
I've decided to change it up some. The grey circles are post mounts. I'll get two nice swivel chairs, that I can pull up when fishing, and put in the stern and bow holes. WIDE OPEN space during fishing. The middle is for an optional 5th seat or table.
Also notice that the open bow is now a deck with anchor storage in front, added storage on sides, live well in middle, and maybe a DC fridge in middle front wall.
4bnewfloorplan.jpg

jwirwin78

Seaman Apprentice

Using fiberlay poly-resin, 2 inch fiberglass tape, and fiberglass mesh, I begin the repairs.
Use:
Resin goes on like paint, but dries fast. You have about 20 minutes working time, give or take, dependant upon the amount of hardener, and how hot or cold it is. In Yuma,it's already in the mid-90's. Really cuts down working time. Ideal temp is 70F-80F. Just mix what you can use in 15 minutes.
Apply base coat of resin, stuff cracks with mesh (pulls apart like steelwool- also using to fill gap between hull and new floor) then cover with fiberglass tape. Apply top coat of resin. Make sure resin soaks through all of the mesh and tape thoroughly. I dipped the tape occasionally.
First I hit a few spots that looked like potential leaks.

5aPatches.jpg

jwirwin78

Seaman Apprentice

Next, I cut out some new floor pieces, and a new rib. I used 1 inch by 2 foot by 8 foot piece of insulator styrofoam foam to make a pattern. Picked up a sheet at lowes for $6.
Just lay it over the floor, and use a piece of scrap wood as a stright-edge to pencil in "cut lines". Cut and trim to fit. Trace the pattern on wood. The same piece used before can now be cut down a bit more to fit the next two feet of floor.
6aPatterningthefloor.jpg

Then I poly-resin coated all the pieces. First coat really sucks it in. Second coat goes on much faster.
6bPolyfloor2.jpg

6cPolyfloor1.jpg

6dribandskidoorpoly.jpg

jwirwin78

Seaman Apprentice

Time to start putting in pieces.
I fiberglassed the rib into place. Looked good. Proud of my new-found fiberglassing skills. :)

7bribfiberedin2.jpg

7aribfiberedin1.jpg

Then I painted the ski locker with its first coat of 1 part polyurethane paint.

7dskilockerpainted2.jpg

7cskilockerpainted.jpg

NOTE: I cleaned this entire hull very thoroughly before I started. Good plan if you want paint/resin to bond properly.

That's where I sit to date. Haven't decided if I want to put floor in now, or wait until I get seat post in first, so I can mount them and seal them better.

Stay tuned. I'm trying to get as much done as possible before I move in 3 weeks.

erikgreen

Captain

So far, so good :)

I hate working on a deadline myself... of course, I've been doing that for the past four years :)

Erik

jwirwin78

Seaman Apprentice

Thanks. I'm getting there. Do you have a current boat project? I'd like to take a look.

geedubcpa

Petty Officer 1st Class

I think you would want to apply resin and cloth to both sides of the wood floor to keep it from rotting again.

Looks like it wasn't that bad of a floor to replace - how strong are the stringers?

badkins50

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Great start, man you are really flying along. I like the 3d overhead view. Being a product designer, I have modeled everything from my complete house (inside and out), my boat and my camper. good luck.

jwirwin78

Seaman Apprentice

I started on this about 3 weeks ago. I should have waited, since I am moving, but the move has given me reason to really get going on this. I want it water ready before the summer is over, So I can enjoy it in North Carolina.
I'm going to stick with resin coat only for the floors. That was good enough for Bayliner, and it lasted 24 years. If I get 5-10 out of it, I'd be happy. The stringers were like rocks. Bayliner did fiber the crap out of those, so no replacement necessary there.

jwirwin78

Seaman Apprentice

I considered T nuts, but if I mount the seat post holes before I put the floor in, I can resin around everything to keep the wood sealed, and I won't have t-nuts digging into the wood, breaking the resin seal, making wood vulnerable to ending up rotton again. The carpet issue is a strong argument for t-nuts though. You might have me sold on that point.

jwirwin78

Seaman Apprentice

:confused: Is there some setting this needs to be on, for people without accounts to view the pictures, thread, etc.? Or are photos in threads limitted to viewing by members only?
I know membership is free, but I'd like friends to see my progress without needing membership.:confused:

archangelnot

Seaman Apprentice

They have to sign up for a free user account here like you have, unless you host the pictures over at photobucket and insert them into here as images.

geedubcpa

Petty Officer 1st Class

Membership is free - if you are concerned about privacy, then set up your account with a junk email account - like on yahoo or whatever.